Green Knight

CC My ideas for house rules and tweaks

##### THE CORELLIAN CONFLICT #####

#### WELCOME TO THE CORELLIAN CONFLICT ####
These are some ideas I have for CC house rules, based on my (still somewhat limited) experience (playing in 2 right now).
Not saying the CC NEEDS these changes, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only gamer who likes to play around with extra options and tweaks.
Also contains a few CLARIFICATIONS and rules INTERPRETATIONS.
Finally I've added some NOTES, explaining my thinking.

FEEL FREE TO USE ALL, SOME, OR NONE AT ALL. 

Feedback and other ideas very welcome indeed.

#### NEW RULES ####

### ATTACKING STATIONS ###

## ARMED STATION ##
The station attack values have been transposed. It should have 2 RED + 2 BLUE battery and 1 BLUE anti-squad.

#### SETUP ####

### CREATE TEAMS ###
The CC is primarily decided by PLAYER SKILL. Care should be taken to make teams as even as possible, unless all participants are looking for a more competitive experience.

### BUILD FLEETS ###

## HANDICAP ##
When building starting fleets: 

- give rookies +20 fleet points
- give veteran players -20 fleet points
- all other players (those with "average" skills for the group in question) start with the standard 400  fleet points

It's possible to extend the handicap to including the final max score too: 520 for rookies, 480 for the hardcore veterans.

### PLACE BASES ###
Stickers are placed in the following order:

IMP: Corellia
IMP P1: Base
REB P1: 2 Presence, 1 each of Base and Outpost
IMP P2: Base
REB P2: 2 Presence, 1 each of Base and Outpost
IMP P3: Base
REB P3: 2 Presence, 1 each of Base and Outpost

NOTE: This is the order that makes the most sense, both in terms of starting balance and most varied starting scenarios.

#### THE CAMPAIGN TURN ####

### STRATEGY PHASE ###

## SECRECY, FLEETS ##
Fleets are NOT revealed prior to declaring assaults - they are considered secret information until match-ups have been decided. Once revealed the information can be freely shared with teammates. On subsequent round the same applies; the refitted and expanded fleets are secret until after match-ups are complete.

When battles are declared, use the name of the admirals involved to identify fleets. I.e. Admiral ACKBAR launches an assault on the Imperial base at Nubia. Darth Vader, forewarned by his spies, is waiting for him there.

NOTE: This rule takes away some of the leading side's ability to dictate engagements. It will probably also lead to more varied fleets and more "random" match-ups as sides try to outguess and adapt to their opponents' builds.

NOTE2: This rule allows Spynet tokens to have a secondary use (spying on an enemy fleet roster).

## SECRECY, RESOURCES ##
Teams should at all times keep a detailed record of their bases and outposts, their scarred ships and veterans, their refit and resource expenditure. After fleets have been revealed the opposing team may request to verify that everything has been done in accordance with the rules.

## SPECIAL ASSAULTS ##

# HYPERLANE RAID #
At the end of the game, the Rebel player gains 1 Victory token for each objective token remaining in the Imperial setup area (but not if it's in the middle "neutral zone").

NOTE: This is intended to discourage Imperial turtle tactics. The Imperial play CAN still turtle, but at the very least he needs to get his tokens into the neutral zone before game's end.

# SHOW OF FORCE #
Unchanged. 

## 1ST ROUND ASSAULTS RESTRICTION ##
No BASE assaults are allowed on round 1.

NOTE: The reason for this is an early assault can tilt the balance of the campaign too early. Rebels take Corellia on round 1? Or Imps take a Rebel base? Or one side gets repulsed with heavy losses? Add some Special Assaults that end up favoring one side and it's suddenly not as fun or challenging as it's supposed to be.

### BATTLE PHASE ###

## SCORING BATTLES ##
On p. 9 of the booklet it says the winner always gets AT LEAST 1 CP. This is incorrect. The scoring on p. 10 is authoritative.

### MANAGEMENT PHASE ###

## DETERMINE BATTLE EFFECTS ##
This is the same as in the booklet, only reformatted for ease of understanding:

• Attacker wins (base or outpost): gains CP equal to Victory bonus value of that location.
• Attacker wins (unoccupied): gains 1 CP.
• Defender wins (base or outpost, or unoccupied: gains 1 CP.
• Special assault: neither player gains any CP, regardless of who wins or the Victory bonus value of that location.

NOTE: This means that winning a battle at a +0 location where there is a base/outposts gains the attacker NOTHING if he wins, but the defender gets 1 CP. But if the system is unoccupied, the winner always gets 1 CP, regardless of the Victory bonus value. This is intentional (effectively discourages the Empire from going after suspected Rebel outposts).

## CONSTRUCT NEW BASES AND OUTPOSTS ##
The winner of a special assault (Hyperlane Raid or Show of Force) does NOT get to potion of building a base/outpost at that location.

NOTE: This is intended to encourage more regular assaults (which indirectly makes Skilled Spacers more worthwhile). Special Assaults are now able to give a short-term boost in resources, but at a price (no construction option).

## REFIT AND EXPAND FLEETS ##

# DISBANDING #
If a player wishes, he may disband a ship, squadron and upgrade. The component is removed from his fleet and the fleet points are lost.
If a unique component is disbanded, it returns to the pool of available uniques and can be added to any fleet on a SUBSEQUENT round.
The admiral can't be disbanded. The only way to get rid of an admiral is to retire the entire fleet.
Titles can't be removed from ships, but disbanding a ship with a title disbands the title too (the title is then returned to the pool as described above).

NOTE: This could give an edge to the side with the strongest economy. That's not the intention. The intention is to help players who make some bad choices early on, or players who have ended up with choices that are now sub-par given the evolving nature of the campaign.

# CHANGING SHIP MODELS #
A ship can be turned into a costlier version of the same ship by paying the difference in resources. 
A ship can be turned into a cheaper version of the same ship for free (the fleet points are lost).
Ships must be unscarred before they can change model.

# SQUADRON UPGRADES #
A player has the option of upgrading a generic squadron to a unique squadron of the same type by paying the difference in resources.
Squadrons must be unscarred before they can be upgraded.

# GENERIC SQUADRON VETERANS #
If a generic squadron qualifies for veterancy, the owning may decide to upgrade it as described above and keep the veterancy. If the player doesn't wish to upgrade (or can't, because there are no remaining uniques) the veterancy is lost.

# SET ASIDE COMPONENTS #
Cards NOT equipped to any ship still count towards the fleet point total. Only cards that are disbanded no longer count.

# SQUADRON LIMIT #
Fleets CANNOT be built with more than 1/3 the fleet points in squadrons.
When expanding a fleet, a squadron CANNOT be added if it would cause the 1/3 rule to be broken after it was added. 
If battle losses causes a fleet to exceed this limit, it CAN still bring all its squads into battle.

#### ADDITIONAL CAMPAIGN RULES ####

### HYPERSPACE RETREAT ###

## RIEEKAN ##
A Rieekan zombie that retreats into hyperspace is still destroyed in the status phase and becomes scarred.

NOTE: In effect retreats are no better (or worse) for Rieekan than any other admiral. 

### STRATEGIC EFFECTS ###

## DIPLOMATS ##
New use: 2 Diplomats can be spent to block attacks on any location with a PRESENCE sticker. 3 Diplomats can block attacks on a location with a BASE or OUTPOST sticker.

NOTE: Diplomats are still kind of weak, but at least now they can be used to block attacks on a key base or exposed outpost in a valuable system.

## SKILLED SPACERS ##
New use: Spacers that are not spent to change objectives can instead be spent to give a single ship or unique squadron a Veteran token for the duration of the battle. Ships/squads that already are veterans gain no additional benefit. 

## SHIPYARDS ##
Unchanged. These are excellent already!

## SPYNET ##
New use: Prior to declaring assaults, a spynet token can be spent to look at the fleet roster (except objectives) of any one enemy fleet. This one is only relevant if using the secret fleets rule.

### RETIRE THE FLEET ###
If a fleet is retired, all unique cards (including the admiral and any titles) are returned to the pool of available components and are available for re-use on any SUBSEQUENT round (same as disbanding). 

NOTE: This rule aims NOT to punish a side that's forced to retire a fleet. Having to start from scratch with a 400-point fleet is bad enough. Even the retired admiral could reappear later on!

#### CORELLIAN SECTOR LOCATIONS ####
The booklet lists both Corfai and Talfaglio as +1 VP location, while the map says +2/+0 respectively. Given the difference in resources the map is probably correct.

Corfai: Use the values on the map (+2 CP).
Talfaglio: Use the values on the map (+0 CP).

Edited by Green Knight

Can I suggest one caviat to the retiring rules: A fleet admiral that had their fleet retired is now an officer upgrade of 1/4th their cost. Their effect applies only to the ship they are equipped to.

You lost your fleet!  High command believes a demotion is in order, captain.

Edited by FourDogsInaHorseSuit

I like it. The one house rule we started, and more so for flavor than anything else, is that the cost of a base is taken from the pool of points prior to dividing to individual commanders. This makes more since thematically as the Empire is not a bunch of individual warlords expanding the individual commander's hold of a system, but as a government expanding it's complete hold. Tarkin might take over a planet and claim it for Skeev, but he is not footing the bill or reaping all the benefits; the empire is responsible for the base and all commanders will get the benefit/resources from the planet.

1 hour ago, Green Knight said:

Lots of stuff

I've thought a bit about something akin to your secrecy idea as well.  But just for the 1st round.  Now, do I understand that, since the Admirals are declaring the attacks, the person defending will have a general idea of what they are defending against (after round 1 of course) except for what changes were made since the last round?  So, when I say I am attacking with Vader, previous rounds tell you that it's a fleet of 4 Arqs with a Demo, but how Christmas tree'd has the demo become since last fight, or what new fighter cover has been purchased, is unknown.  This I like.  The idea of having absolutely no idea who you are fighting EVERY ROUND takes too much of the strategy away in my opinion.  But not knowing the small details sounds good.

I really like the Hyperlane Raid idea.  If the Imperials play the crappy turtle game, the Rebels get even MORE Resources.

The Disbanding and Retiring changes I don't care for as much.  To me, list building is as much a part of the game as playing the matches is.  I don't think people should be given a pass to rebuild their fleet just because they decide they made a mistake early on.  Cope and overcome.  If there is a ship you don't want anymore, let it be the chin you stick out there, then don't unscar it.  I think that a player has the opportunity any time to rebuild their fleet, but there is an inherent penalty to doing so, which is permanent loss of uniques and a 1 round limit on upgrades.  I like this aspect of it as is.

Edited by Xindell

15 minutes ago, Cusm said:

I like it. The one house rule we started, and more so for flavor than anything else, is that the cost of a base is taken from the pool of points prior to dividing to individual commanders. This makes more since thematically as the Empire is not a bunch of individual warlords expanding the individual commander's hold of a system, but as a government expanding it's complete hold. Tarkin might take over a planet and claim it for Skeev, but he is not footing the bill or reaping all the benefits; the empire is responsible for the base and all commanders will get the benefit/resources from the planet.

Good one.

Didn't include it in my lineup because it would make it easier for a team to have one primary assault fleet. Under the original rules there is an incentive to swap assault fleets.

14 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

Good one.

Didn't include it in my lineup because it would make it easier for a team to have one primary assault fleet. Under the original rules there is an incentive to swap assault fleets.

Probably true with you veteran players. I am still learning, along with my CC co-admirals (we have a total of 1-2 semi-seasoned veterans, would probably be considered rookies with most here) so we are just glad if we remember to use an upgrade or actually get a win.

2 hours ago, Green Knight said:

### PLACE BASES ###
Stickers are placed in the following order:

IMP: Corellia
IMP P1: Base
REB P1: 2 Presence, 1 each of Base and Outpost
IMP P2: Base
REB P2: 2 Presence, 1 each of Base and Outpost
IMP P3: Base
REB P3: 2 Presence, 1 each of Base and Outpost

NOTE: This is the order that makes the most sense, both in terms of starting balance and most varied starting scenarios.

I would suggest no to this one. 

I agree that it should alternate here as stated, but this effectively gives the Imperial player a 50/50 chance of finding a base for each pairing at the beginning of a campaign, as opposed to the 50/50 overall chance.  It just seems to make it easier for Imps to find Rebel bases.

I'd rather it be more random than that.  

Of course, that might be the Rebellion lover in me talking.  

Edited by Eggzavier

6 minutes ago, Eggzavier said:

I would suggest no to this one. 

I agree that it should alternate here as stated, but this effectively gives the Imperial player a 50/50 chance of finding a base for each pairing at the beginning of a campaign, as opposed to the 50/50 overall chance.  It just seems to make it easier for Imps to find Rebel bases.

I'd rather it be more random than that.  

Of course, that might be the Rebellion lover in me talking.  

This is more me clarifying what I think the booklet says.

I'd actually like for bases to be really secret. I just haven't figured out a satisfying and simple rule yet ?

One that I have thought about is maybe letting the team that is trailing be the one to announce an All Out Assault once the leader has X amount of VP from victory, or maybe to win the final point you must declare an All Out Assault. I would hate to play a campaign and never be able to have an AOA. I also hope in the future expansion we see 2v2 in regular campaign or as a special assault.

46 minutes ago, Xindell said:

I've thought a bit about something akin to your secrecy idea as well.  But just for the 1st round.  Now, do I understand that, since the Admirals are declaring the attacks, the person defending will have a general idea of what they are defending against (after round 1 of course) except for what changes were made since the last round?  So, when I say I am attacking with Vader, previous rounds tell you that it's a fleet of 4 Arqs with a Demo, but how Christmas tree'd has the demo become since last fight, or what new fighter cover has been purchased, is unknown.  This I like.  The idea of having absolutely no idea who you are fighting EVERY ROUND takes too much of the strategy away in my opinion.  But not knowing the small details sounds good.

I really like the Hyperlane Raid idea.  If the Imperials play the crappy turtle game, the Rebels get even MORE Resources.

The Disbanding and Retiring changes I don't care for as much.  To me, list building is as much a part of the game as playing the matches is.  I don't think people should be given a pass to rebuild their fleet just because they decide they made a mistake early on.  Cope and overcome.  If there is a ship you don't want anymore, let it be the chin you stick out there, then don't unscar it.  I think that a player has the opportunity any time to rebuild their fleet, but there is an inherent penalty to doing so, which is permanent loss of uniques and a 1 round limit on upgrades.  I like this aspect of it as is.

It's more of a shopping list really. Easy to select not to use the disband etc rules.

But I think a good number of players will want something like that.

One thing I do like is it encourages guessing and maybe wasting resources to counter what you think the enemy might bring. So it's most interesting to me if used with secrecy rules.

1 minute ago, Green Knight said:

This is more me clarifying what I think the booklet says.

I'd actually like for bases to be really secret. I just haven't figured out a satisfying and simple rule yet ?

We had the Rebel Grand-Admiral place all rebel stickers out of a pool of them. We had no idea if it was base/outpost or who the sticker belonged to, not perfect but helped. The Imperial Grand-Admiral placed all as well, but that was just consistency.

Just now, Cusm said:

We had the Rebel Grand-Admiral place all rebel stickers out of a pool of them. We had no idea if it was base/outpost or who the sticker belonged to, not perfect but helped. The Imperial Grand-Admiral placed all as well, but that was just consistency.

This is what we did as well.  And we're hoping that the rebels are keeping good track of where their bases are and are not. 

Now we just need to capture one of them :)

I only regret that I have only one like to give.

That Hyperlane tweak is perfect for my taste.

With some a rookie group, the extra customization options will help (and I plan to use them), but hardened veterans will probably like the gravity of choosing something being near permanent. We are allowing the dropping of upgrades and generics (for lost points) in our group and I think that it avoids forcing someone to intentionally lose an asset in battle so they can swap it out.

I just realized that I could echo and concur with most of these house rules and interpretations so I'll stop here, say thanks for penning it down, and hit the print button to add to my CC box for my next RL campaign.

Edited by deDios

2 hours ago, Green Knight said:

SQUADRON LIMIT #
Fleets CANNOT be built with more than 1/3 the fleet points in squadrons.
When expanding a fleet, a squadron CANNOT be added if it would cause the 1/3 rule to be broken after it was added. 
If battle losses causes a fleet to exceed this limit, it CAN still bring all its squads into battle.

I think this can be simpler: When a fleet receives it's resource points each turn (ignoring refit points), it's maximum point allowance is raised that much up to a ceiling of 500.  

It's not about how much you spend, but how much you are given to spend. At the start it's 400.  Then after the first round, each fleet on the team gains 42 resource points, new maximum is 442 regardless of how many points are actually spent on the fleet. 

See, I am still of the opinion that after round 1, it is easiest to just use 500 as the limit for purposes of squadrons, so they immediately jump to 167.  We are talking about adding at most 33 points in squadrons to a max squadron list.  I'm sorry, but in the grand scheme of things, I really don't think that even the most extreme case of a list that ends up at 433 total with 167 in squadrons is going to have a significantly large impact to make it worth having to track current points ratios and such.

Round 1 (or when resetting your fleet):  400 fleet max, 134 squadrons max

Round 2 & on:  500 fleet max (though resources may not yet be there to buy to this level), 167 squadrons max

Easy peasy, and I don't think it will be game breaking.

I agree.. the worst case scenario is that someone has 167 pts of fighters in a 433 pt list..   about 5% over.  It's not such a big deal. 

But if your other players want to be more strict about it, then my previous suggestion seems like the best way to go to me.

Edited by homedrone

Well done, mate!

I may not be onboard for 100% of these; but they are all well thought out and clear in their intent.

Great clear summary of the CPs gained for winning every type of battle.

The bit on secrecy for fleets and alternate uses of sypnet and skilled spacers is brilliant. 

Thanks so much for going to all this effort! :D

33 minutes ago, Xindell said:

See, I am still of the opinion that after round 1, it is easiest to just use 500 as the limit for purposes of squadrons, so they immediately jump to 167.  We are talking about adding at most 33 points in squadrons to a max squadron list.  I'm sorry, but in the grand scheme of things, I really don't think that even the most extreme case of a list that ends up at 433 total with 167 in squadrons is going to have a significantly large impact to make it worth having to track current points ratios and such.

Round 1 (or when resetting your fleet):  400 fleet max, 134 squadrons max

Round 2 & on:  500 fleet max (though resources may not yet be there to buy to this level), 167 squadrons max

Easy peasy, and I don't think it will be game breaking.

I like that.

It's simple, easy to implement and won't upset game balance.

12 minutes ago, Democratus said:

Well done, mate!

I may not be onboard for 100% of these; but they are all well thought out and clear in their intent.

Great clear summary of the CPs gained for winning every type of battle.

The bit on secrecy for fleets and alternate uses of sypnet and skilled spacers is brilliant. 

Thanks so much for going to all this effort! :D

Thanks.

Knowing that no 2 gamers can agree about everything, especially house rules, I figured I would make it as modular as possible, to be able to pick freely. I also tried to not depart too far from the original rules.

1 hour ago, Eggzavier said:

This is what we did as well.  And we're hoping that the rebels are keeping good track of where their bases are and are not. 

It could work.

It's very simple and easy to implement.

It could give the Rebs a microscopic edge, in that they can pick 2 sweet spots AND fortify them with bases, rather than one of each. But it won't really affect the game much, and the end result is rather pleasing.

...but really the Rebels should only ever get ONE secret base :lol:

1 hour ago, Eggzavier said:

Same here.

10 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

It could work.

It's very simple and easy to implement.

It could give the Rebs a microscopic edge, in that they can pick 2 sweet spots AND fortify them with bases, rather than one of each. But it won't really affect the game much, and the end result is rather pleasing.

...but really the Rebels should only ever get ONE secret base :lol:

ONE secret base worth 100 resource points (for 3 rebel players) and with a chance to be evacuated and relocated if necessary :lol:

Love it Green Knight. I think it's interesting that we already play by most of these tweaks or tweaks that are very similar!

some suggestions:

-Setup. Just have the Rebels place 2 presence stickers each time. They can be base base, base outpost, or outpost outpost. Maintains secrecy better.

-Not used upgrades. These have to be disbanded. Less paperwork makes it much simpler to admin. Plus it will stop winning teams from stockpiling stuff and actually make them spend their over abundant resources.

-Fleet Secrecy. We select fleets for assaults without naming admirals. This removes all bias to creating match ups that the leading player might instrinsicly have (more important for 2 player campaigns where there are only 4 fleets)

-Squad limit. Just set this to 167 after kick off. Far simpler and less admin required.

-Diplomats. They are so weak I'm tempted just to say they can be placed anywhere except diplomat locations.  So, it protects a base, big deal. Attack another base or destroy the diplomat location.

-Retiring fleets. Kind of think the Admiral should go for good. For flavour and to have a bit of consequence to the action. Agree that other unique stuff should be available still.

Edited by Jambo75

These are all really good.  I'm probably salty because my team got beat badly, but I would like to see less squadron dominance in the campaign.  We got to the point that ships basically don't matter and nobody on our team wants to play the Jan/Bigs/Gallent Haven death ball with half a dozen floatillas that just relay squad commands.  I think in the next campaign I'd go with not being able to unscar unique squads, once it's gone, it's gone.  Take with salt.