Engine25

The Most Realistic Star Wars Ship to Date

Local buddy and forum frequenter Nikk Whyte pointed something out to me last night at the FLGS.  This is the most realistic spacecraft that Star Wars has ever produced:

scum-quadjumper-600px.gif

Spacecraft and rockets in the real world basically all follow this trend:  Attach a tiny cockpit to as many giant engines as possible.  The Quadjumper is just that.

I laughed, because its true.

"We can [outrun them] in that quadjmper!"

Dam. That 3-forward just screams speed, doesn't it?

On a serious level, the quadjumper might have the engine size for conventional rockets, but Star Wars ships primarily rely on Ion engine technology. This also exists in the real world, but is currently not very powerful at all. The quadjumper suffers from truly terrible aerodynamics (it's a brick), so that takes it out of the running for "realistic".

Rewatch episode 2 - specifically the part where Anakin tells a gunship "aim right above the fuel cells", and you see a Techno Union spacecraft. Source books show that they rely on good ol' combustion for propulsion, and have a shape similar to that of a conventional, aerodynamic rocket. I think they take the cake.

16 minutes ago, Astech said:

"We can [outrun them] in that quadjmper!"

Dam. That 3-forward just screams speed, doesn't it?

On a serious level, the quadjumper might have the engine size for conventional rockets, but Star Wars ships primarily rely on Ion engine technology. This also exists in the real world, but is currently not very powerful at all. The quadjumper suffers from truly terrible aerodynamics (it's a brick), so that takes it out of the running for "realistic".

Rewatch episode 2 - specifically the part where Anakin tells a gunship "aim right above the fuel cells", and you see a Techno Union spacecraft. Source books show that they rely on good ol' combustion for propulsion, and have a shape similar to that of a conventional, aerodynamic rocket. I think they take the cake.

Yup those are fairly rocket shaped. The Jumper certainly wouldn't work as a surface launched rocket, but Saturn 5 crew modules (after the main propulsion system is jettisoned) or Soyuz pods are basically a minimal crew space and big engines. It could very well be a short distance space travel vehicle, like if one needed to move between space stations for some reason. And the engines are the size they'd need to be to pull around a capital ship. Real world tugboats have extremely powerful engines but are not hugely fast even without a payload. And they are heftier than many realize, so they don't get crushed if the need arises for an emergency stop. 

I love the Quadjumper. It's so hideous and adorable. And I love that it looks like a really utilitarian design. 

Edited by Engine25

58 minutes ago, Jadotch said:

Still no Star Fury.
5+-+Starfury.png

Cause its ugly as hell.

38 minutes ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

Still ridiculous they made it a ship in the game at all; given it had exactly 2 seconds of screen time, during which it blew up...

Sit down. This can be a shock to you. Are you prepared?

Half.  Of X-wing ships. Had.

I cant say it , it will shock you too much...

oh well...

they had NO SCREEN TIME AT ALL! 

Edited by Vitalis

38 minutes ago, Vitalis said:

Cause its ugly as hell.

oh well...

But they certainly had more time in general, be it in comics, games, etc. than the QuadJ had at all.  Without wishing to duplicate another thread, but you're telling me this deserved development and the Assault Gunboat doesn't?

Unless im missing something Jumpmaster had minimal time anywhere. 

Misthunter similar.

Kirhakx and Scyk were in only one game.

YT-2400 since recently was famous only for 1 particular ship and some guys were even asking hey isnt Outrider one of the kind?

Punisher - where the hell was that guy?

K-wing - 1 comic book/series i have never ever heard of.

And you have issues about a ship that had his part (short and explosive i admit) in one of the 7 pillars on this world?

And you have issues about a ship that had his part (short and explosive i admit) in one of the 7 pillars on this world?

When people first started talking about quadjumpers I had no idea what they were talking about. I blinked.

I mean, if you want to get into "how obscure is that ship" just going by movies alone, most ships only have like one scene and limited time in it, except Xs, TIE Fighters and the Falcon. Ys kind of get two with both IV and VI but they split it a little with all those other ships. Rebels actually gave non-X Rebel fighters a great shake for screen time (as cannon fodder). Slave I doesn't even have it's action scene in the OT. 

That said, the EU ships FFG has been using have never been "super-obscure". According to the publisher, the Shadows of the Empire game sold over 1 million copies, not counting also the Tie in books, comics and radio dramatizations (and the 2400 has been in ANH since '97). All the bounty hunter ships have been in the lore since Tales from the Bounty Hunters, a short story collection I've always heard well praised by fans and first published in 96 - giving something like 20 years of precedent (also Hound's Tooth was in TCW). K-Wing also first appeared in 96 in the novel trilogy Black Fleet Crisis. While not mentioned a lot from there it's still been in reference material since that period and I would assume that among serious level fans (Who might not be opposed to pushing around tiny plastic spaceships for fun) it's probably decently well read/sold. TIE Punisher was in Galactic Battlegrounds, which while I don't think it was ever hyped has over 200k owners on Steam (and was first published in 2001, so no counting the pre-Steam numbers) so that's no drop in the bucket either. 

So y'know, it's all about what your frame of reference is. 

1 hour ago, Vitalis said:

oh well...

Okay, define Screen Time? Now if you are talking about Screen Tim in the movies mainly the Original Trilogy, you would be correct. Heck the largest ship in X-wing the Imperial Raider doesn't even exist in the Star Wars cannon outside of the FFG $tar War$ games. Now include offshoot cartoons like Droid and Rebels, and the old computer games (because Computer Monitors had Screens) and now there is only one ship that has NO screen time, the Imperial Raider. Everything else has been on some sort of movie format screen of one form or another be it the PC game cut scene, a children's cartoon series based on Star Wars, or the Original Trilology or Disneyvers themselves.

So again it all depends on how you define Screen Time.

12 minutes ago, Hylian100 said:

There's another Quadjumper that isn't blown up, in the background when Finn and Rey run to the Falcon. Took me a fair few watches to notice it.

I always assumed that was an editing 'blooper', but maybe not...:unsure:

The TIE Phantoms anyone? I know I actually played the video game Rebel Assault II, but I did not think it was that popular. As Marinealver pointed out, the Raider is complete FFG fan fiction.

As for the Quadjumper, it was new with only a quick scene. "New" being a key word. There was no time to establish any lore about, unlike 3 decades of people picking apart every detail of the original trilogy. Give it 10 years ... I am sure Quadjumpers will get stories of their own. 

Edited by Jadotch
Clarification and Grammar