J0kerr

Unpainted Models

Unfortunately not, so we don't know if they are coloured plastics or all the same colour. Additionally, the models at Gencon were prototypes and some of them were even 3D printed, so we don't know what the quality of the final miniatures will be like.

39 minutes ago, VanorDM said:

They are apparently being made the same way they make Imperial Assault, so I'd guess they'll use different colored plastic for these like they do for IA.  

I hope not. The plastic on Imperial Assault is so soft it makes removing mould lines a nightmare. I was hoping for a step up in quality for a miniatures game.

Edit:

You're correct. They said it's the same softer plastic as used in Descent/Imperial Assault. :(

Edit 2:

I'm already dreading straightening out all the spears in the Daqan infantry using a hair dryer.

Edited by Muz333

1 hour ago, VanorDM said:

They are apparently being made the same way they make Imperial Assault, so I'd guess they'll use different colored plastic for these like they do for IA.  

I doubt this as the figures will be unassembled and unpainted. This suggests figures will still be on a sprue and need to be cut away. Injection molded plastic will be of a harder consistency then what is seen in IA.

I think maybe FF should answer/show us the answer to this question...because the product we will actually be buying is the unassembled/unpainted figures. Would like to know exactly what I would be purchasing. 

If you want to know exactly what you're getting, check out one of the most recent Imperial Assault or Descent expansion packs.  It's the same manufacturing process and same material.  In fact, one of the recent Descent expansions has Reanimates in the exact same scale.  Another has Ardus Ix-Erebus.  Another has Reanimate Archers.  Etc, etc.  These aren't exactly "new" models.  Runewars is just giving them a different base.  The quality is pretty good.  They're very paintable and generally have little to no visible mold lines.

FFG reuses sculpts between gaming systems sometimes.  The recent Armada Flotilla models were released as game pieces in the Star Wars Rebellion board game months earlier.  The only difference was the Armada models had a peg on the bottom for the flying stand while the Rebellion ones had flat 'blocks' on the bottom so they'd sit flat on the gameboard.

10 minutes ago, Tekwych said:

I doubt this as the figures will be unassembled and unpainted. This suggests figures will still be on a sprue and need to be cut away. Injection molded plastic will be of a harder consistency then what is seen in IA.

From the GenCon videos, they said they will be unpainted, but that most of them will be single-figures. Those that need to be assembled will be like the AT-ST in Imperial Assault or the Rune Golems, Chaos Lord, and Roc Warrior in BattleLore: Second Edition. These figures have some arms, heads, and other parts that connect through a very specific peg-and-hole mechanism. Each peg is cut a different way so that it only goes in one hole and can only be put in at a specific angle, meaning all the figures are completely uniform.

They also specifically said that these will NOT be on a sprue.

13 minutes ago, Tekwych said:

They said there will be no sprues but like in IA bigger models may be made out of seperal pieces which you can just stick together but using glue is adviced.

EDIT: Too slow.

Edited by Iceeagle85

Here's the existing Ardus Ix-Erebus model from Descent.  It looks like the same pose/model with a different base for Runewars (so it can lock into the tray).  Some of the larger/more complex Descent models require assembly, but generally the Infantry are already together.  For Runewars, I could see having to slot in the arms to glue in place.  I'm expecting full assembly of a Core Set to take maybe 30min or so.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/12/28/undead-cunning/

The article has some fun background on the dude...

"There was a time when the infamous Ardus Ix’Erebus frequented the front lines of Waiqar’s undead legions. Those few who survived his martial prowess soon fell to the swarm of skeletal minions under his command. A master tactician and daring warrior, Ardus was feared for his uncanny awareness and control of the tides of war. Battle after battle, he led his forces with elegant brutality, lulling seasoned commanders and veteran soldiers into error with his deadly ploys.

Yet for all his skills, Ardus Ix’Erebus is only one of many similar soldiers within the Deathborn Legion, the oldest and greatest army of Waiqar the Undying. Should Ardus fall, others stand ready to avenge him. The undead of the Deathborn Legion are the most experienced veterans the heroes of Terrinoth have ever opposed. The free races can pass their knowledge and wisdom across generations through mythic tales and treatises on war, but these undying warriors have experienced centuries of warfare for themselves."

Edited by KrisWall

With Descent they did an excellent job in giving background infos about characters and adventures. But like some said, everything is spread in every games of the runebound universe. While Muz333 gave us a rar file full of documents that compile the lore of Descent (see his link in the "Wiki" topic), I am waiting for the book FFG seem to be working at, it will surely be an instant buy like the Android one that i had to find on ebay because I couldn't find it elsewhere at the time.

Just now, Elrad said:

With Descent they did an excellent job in giving background infos about characters and adventures. But like some said, everything is spread in every games of the runebound universe. While Muz333 gave us a rar file full of documents that compile the lore of Descent (see his link in the "Wiki" topic), I am waiting for the book FFG seem to be working at, it will surely be an instant buy like the Android one that i had to find on ebay because I couldn't find it elsewhere at the time.

Agreed.  FFG does a good job with these background books.  There is a background book for the Arkham Horror collection of games coming out next week (2/9?).  I'm sure I'll have to look around for it.  These sorts of things don't exactly sell a kajillion copies at an average game store.

6 minutes ago, Elrad said:

I am waiting for the book FFG seem to be working at, it will surely be an instant buy like the Android one that i had to find on ebay because I couldn't find it elsewhere at the time.

I can't wait for a book.

1 hour ago, KrisWall said:

FFG reuses sculpts between gaming systems sometimes.  The recent Armada Flotilla models were released as game pieces in the Star Wars Rebellion board game months earlier.  The only difference was the Armada models had a peg on the bottom for the flying stand while the Rebellion ones had flat 'blocks' on the bottom so they'd sit flat on the gameboard.

Totally Different models.  The Flotillas, at least.  Totally Different.

(Rebellion in the Middle, Armada on the Outsides)

Armada_vs_Rebellion.jpg

As you can see, the Unpainted rebellion figure is Smaller in every dimension, and significantly less detailed.

Which was very Ironic, giving that all of the Fighters were larger and more Detailed......

The models which seem to be essentially identical were the Y-Wings.  They seemed to be the same 3D Model used, but were still rescaled to be larger for Rebellion - they even have a visible "placement point" on the underside where they Armada version has their Peg Stand...

An Argument can be made the same of the X-Wing as well, looking in the picture above - but it lacked the obvious tool-marking taht the Y-Wing did.

Edited by Drasnighta

Yeah, even the necromancer sculpt is significantly different from the BattleLore one. The BattleLore one has the bottom of the staff on the ground between his feet, while the Runewars one has the staff held out to the side with the bottom of the staff in midair.

28 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Totally Different models.  The Flotillas, at least.  Totally Different.

(Rebellion in the Middle, Armada on the Outsides)

Armada_vs_Rebellion.jpg

As you can see, the Unpainted rebellion figure is Smaller in every dimension, and significantly less detailed.

Which was very Ironic, giving that all of the Fighters were larger and more Detailed......

The models which seem to be essentially identical were the Y-Wings.  They seemed to be the same 3D Model used, but were still rescaled to be larger for Rebellion - they even have a visible "placement point" on the underside where they Armada version has their Peg Stand...

An Argument can be made the same of the X-Wing as well, looking in the picture above - but it lacked the obvious tool-marking taht the Y-Wing did.

Oh man...  you're right!  They looked so similar, but I guess I never saw them right next to each other.  They're literally about 2 feet from each other on my shelf at home.

5 hours ago, J0kerr said:

Has anyone seen one of the models unpainted yet? Can we get some pics?

I have seen some of them, and they look to be decent in their form. Here is a Barbarian of sorts and an Orc.

Runewars Orc and Barbarian.jpg

Edited by Psykostevo

4 hours ago, Muz333 said:

I hope not. The plastic on Imperial Assault is so soft it makes removing mould lines a nightmare. I was hoping for a step up in quality for a miniatures game.

Edit:

You're correct. They said it's the same softer plastic as used in Descent/Imperial Assault. :(

Edit 2:

I'm already dreading straightening out all the spears in the Daqan infantry using a hair dryer.

Why oh why can't they just use Polystyrene like GW and others!!!!

58 minutes ago, Psykostevo said:

I have seen some of them, and they look to be decent in their form. Here is a Barbarian of sorts and an Orc.

They aren't from Runewars but the quality and the material will be about the same.

Edit: Double Post, sorry. Tried to edit this into the above post.

Edited by Muz333

4 hours ago, KrisWall said:

In fact, one of the recent Descent expansions has Reanimates in the exact same scale.  Another has Ardus Ix-Erebus.  Another has Reanimate Archers.  Etc, etc.  These aren't exactly "new" models.  Runewars is just giving them a different base.  

I agree with everything you are saying with respect to materials, but I do want to point out that the only known model that is being reused for this game so far is Ardus Ix-Erebus from the descent villain pack.  The remainder of the models in the core set, except for Kari Wraithstalker (whose sculptor is unknown but also doesn't seem to have been used in another game), were custom created for this game by Gary Storkamp, a freelance sculptor that works with FFG on a variety of projects.

2 hours ago, Psykostevo said:

Runewars Orc and Barbarian.jpg

lol...  I'm about 99% that's my photo taken in my photobox.  Might have come from my blog.

55 minutes ago, Oloh said:

I agree with everything you are saying with respect to materials, but I do want to point out that the only known model that is being reused for this game so far is Ardus Ix-Erebus from the descent villain pack.  The remainder of the models in the core set, except for Kari Wraithstalker (whose sculptor is unknown but also doesn't seem to have been used in another game), were custom created for this game by Gary Storkamp, a freelance sculptor that works with FFG on a variety of projects.

New sculpts, absolutely, but partially based on existing sculpts.  I don't know who sculpted the Reanimates and Reanimate Archers for Descent, but it's the same exact aesthetic, but with a different pose.  Lord Hawethorne is also pretty darn similar looking to his Descent model.  That's another reuse.