Astech

[CCL] X-wing and E-wing

Here's my rebel submission into the Custom Card League (Season 2). Soe of these cards are on the strong side, but before complaining about it ask yourself, "Is this card as strong/broken/undercosted as Zuckuss or Palpatine?"

Rogue Squadron Pilot (2 copies in the expansion).

Rogue_Squadron_Pilot_Front_Face.png

Gavin Darklighter(X-wing)

Gavin_Darklighter_Front_Face.png

Corran Horn (X-Wing).

Corran_Horn_Front_Face.png

X-wing “Fix” Cards:

XJ X-Wing (2 Copies in the expansion)

XJ_X_wing_Front_Face.png

MG7-A Torpedo Launchers (2 Copies in the expansion)

MG7_A_Torpedo_Launchers_Front_Face.png

Ship 2: E-wing

Fifth Fleet Veteran (2 Copies in the expansion)

Fifth_Fleet_Veteran_Front_Face.png

Ooryl Qrygg (E-wing)

Ooryl_Qrygg_Front_Face.png

Luke Skywalker (E-Wing).

Luke_Skywalker_Front_Face.png

E-Wing “Fix” Cards:

E-Wing MKII (2 copies in the expansion)

E_Wing_MKII_Front_Face.png

Ion Reactor (2 copies in the expansion) (Dual Card)

Ion_Reactor_Front_Face.png  Ion_Reactor_Back_Face.png

Additional Upgrades:

R4 Astromech (2 copies in the expansion)

R4_Astromech_Front_Face.png

R5-G8

R5_G8_Front_Face.png

R2-D9

R2_D9_Front_Face.png

Baradium Torpedo (2 copies in the expansion)

Baradium_Torpedo_Front_Face.png

In particular Luke, MG7-As and R2-D9 are cards that at first glance appear absurdly overpowered, but in the grand scheme of things are not broken at all due to their cost and the slots they take up. Have I missed an absurdly strong card combination here, or maybe something really is a little undercosted?

Overall, this is some really solid work. That said, as with all such things, there are a couple of issues I've got:

First off, I'm not sure how I feel about the X-Wing title for a couple of reasons. First, it does nothing to help low-PS jousters -- the Rookie pilot is just crap at this point. Second, it makes the ship very PS-dependent; it's not really more efficient in a joust. The only difference is now it wants to avoid jousts. And that gets into my biggest qualm: it makes the ship a high-speed arc-dodger, rather than the workhorse ship it should be.

Ion reactor is pretty well-designed. I like the stress mechanic for limiting Corran, but I've got two Corran-related issues with it: (1) he can still equip it for free and just keep it on the stress-clearing side, making him incredibly maneuverable when he's not regenning; and (2) Advanced Sensors Corran can abuse the **** out of it. If you want to be offensive, you can dial in a green, Advanced Sensors, Push off of that, and clear the stress, allowing you to roll up and make a mega-attack at Range 1 and still only have one stress next turn; and as long as he's not being offensive, he can do the same shennanigans as always, but with his ENTIRE dial (save reds) open to him. I don't know if you've played with that build before (and in case you have it, it's PtL + AdvS + R2-D2 + Engine), but I think that alone really breaks this fix card, especially considering how borderline broken and NPE he already is (and that's coming from a Corran player). And even ignoring that, he can still grab a Comm Relay or Weapons Guidance or something for free, which means he still gets one hell of a buff.

My only other big issue is R4. I'd just tell you to make it work with primary weapons only, not secondary weapons. Why? Because the ships that can take it are the E-Wing, X-Wing, T-70, ARC, and Y-Wing; of those, all but the Y-Wing need help; and the Y-Wing always has a turret. As is, it therefore helps the Y the most. I think at 0 or 1 points, that extra focus per round puts all those ships about where they need to be in this meta. Norra might be a bit broken, but it keeps her from taking R2-D2 or BB-8, meaning that she'll at least be easier to kill. Just food for thought.

Can't say as I really like PS 9 Luke (especially in a foreign ship), and I'm not sure how useful his ability is. I mean . . . it's basically a 38-point Intelligence Agent (cus how many ships are really going to be at Range 1?). I guess it helps his buddies out, but if they're all dead or in a different spot on the map, it's literally useless. The Baradium Torp could be good, not quite sure. Usually the issue with "on hit" effects like that is that the ships they're supposed to reign in (like, say, Defenders) have the easiest time dodging them, which means its less-dodgy ships (like Poe) that really get screwed over. Same problem that Adv Homing Missiles, Ion Cannons, and the Shadow Caster title have.

Overall, though, it's some high quality stuff. The phrasing of the card text is all spot-on, which is something I'm generally pretty pedantic about, and it's nice to see these ships getting some love.

Thanks for the thorough reply.

For the title:
I felt that the rookie pilot should have a separate role to the others, mainly because of his point level. 21 points mean a "swarm" of four ships is the maximum, and having four of them with MG7-As, XJ title, R4 Astromech and Proton Torpedoes would be a little insane. As is, they can have Proton Torpedoes, MG7-As and R4, which is a painful alpha strike with a great followup. On a design note, a title that increases maneuverability is inherently less valuable on low-PS jousters.

The X-wing was a fairly nimble craft. It wasn't necessarily the fastest (TIE Interceptors and Fighters beat it by a hair's breadth), but it was equivalent in maneuverability to a TIE Interceptor. With X7 Defenders around, no other ship wants to joust (TLT Y-wings and Dengar, maybe), so some kind of "increase your shield value by two" title wouldn't cut it. People like to call the X-Wing a workhorse ship, and it is true, but it was good at everything because it was great at dogfighting. It was originally a fast, powerful superiority fighter, which I think he title partially covers.

For the Ion Reactor:
Yep, it gives Corran a stupid boost, but not quite broken, I think. Number one, if one's opponent jousts Corran without ships that can do more damage than his double-tap, they played it wrong. Secondly, the "add a hit" mechanic is good on him, but he can only use it once (or else he will be double-stressed), so it's a tad limited there. Finally, stressing an AdvS Corran build is the best way to kill him - limiting his movement. Here's the rundown in the perfect Corran scenario:
Combat Turn 1: Corran nails the range 1 shot on an defender with Palp (after focus+evade actions), and does a total of... 0.125 damage by  focus and the defender uses Palp. He'll double-tap this turn, so he rolls his standard 2 hits and does a little under 1 damage. Corran averages 1 damage on a standard Defender over his best possible turn of shooting. By spending his focus offensively, he might have killed himself through return fire, too.
It's a powerful ability that Corran can use - especially the "white clears stress" side, but given all that is out there, I think it's a fair boost to a ship that hasn't changed in power since wave 4.

For R4:
I could make it primary weapons only, but that's yet another incentive to never use ordnance in Rebel lists. If I make it both primary and secondary then focus becomes amazing on very ship (or Norra with Expertise?), so I don't think it would be balanced. The E, X, X-70, Y and ARC all have neglected torpedo slots, and this is simply a way to make munitions builds more attractive on that single torpedo slot.
Gold Squadron Pilot (24) - Averaging 4 hits, with the potential for 5, this is a decent jouster if ever there was one.
Proton torpedoes
Extra Munitions
Guidance Chips
R4 Astromech

And:
Luke was originally in an X-wing, but I had to change it (CCL doesn't accept pilots with new abilities in the ship they're already in). It's a 38 point, PS9 intelligence agent with AGI 3 and the E-wings decent dial. Luke is kind of the defensive Corran. It is useless in a lot of secenarios, but so is Howlrunner. Luke (PTL, Sensor Jammer, R2-D2, Engine Upgrade) with 2 autoblaster Y-wings (vectored thrusters, autoblaster turret, R4 astromech) can block, tank, and deal massive uncanceleable damage for a long time.

Baradium Torps were a little bit of an afterthought, and certainly not aimed against Defenders (and the likes), as Proton torpedoes do that job far better. It's more of a counter to the AGI 1 and AGI 0 builds out there, where its ability is just extra reliable damage. Options are good when it comes to ordnance, and this is simpley another one of them.

A note on Adv. Homing missiles - put them on Bossk with Boba Fett - Palpatine gone...

Rogue Squadron Pilot is OK. I suppose you can get four with your 0-point astros, Integrated, and Trick Shot at 100 points.

Gavin's ability is brutal and he has an EPT. I imagine he might be a slightly-more-expensive-than-the-normal-PS-curve kinda guy.

Corran never really excited me in an X-Wing.

XJ X-Wing seems pretty good. A little similar to the T-70 (esp. "Snap"), though.

MG7-A doesn't really excite me. Rebels already do turrets well. I'd rather see more jousting back in the game.

5th Fleet Vet. is a nice addition in terms of relative cost, but I still feel like he'd be a complete let-down of a ship, which illustrates the sad state of the E-Wing.

Ooryl's ability is awesome, though I don't know if it's the best fit canonically (most people give him an ability the other way around, helping others).

I think I'd rather have Luke's X-Wing ability in the E-Wing.

E-Wing Mk. II I don't think should give Tech. I'm OK with FFG using Tech to differentiate the new TFA-era stuff (even if some Legends stuff technically fits). How about a second <systems> slot? Then a 1- or 2-point discount on each <system> equipped? No other ship can currently take two <systems>.

Ion Reactor is really cool (though funny it pictures X-Wings instead of E-Wings).

I would like to see someone run four Rookie X-Wings with R4s, Protons, and Guidance Chimps.

R5-G8 seems lackluster for 3 points.

R2-D9 I like, though. Would almost think he's OK extending to the Combat Phase as well; you can have an arc-dodger, but he won't regen.

Baradium Torpedo is very cool. I like that it can't self-mod like Protons, but can be even more nasty than Plasmas if it hits.

Rogue squadron ticked a box -Generic with an EPT costed slightly under the normal curve for the ship.

Gavin is indeed brutal - can you imagine him with a Z-95 swarm? He's costed so because, in the end, he's in an extremely fragile X-wing.

Corran again ticks a box - Thematic tie-in with vague benefits. Slap predator, R4 and Integrated on him and send him in as a cheap jouster.

XJ7 is, now that I think about it, extremely similar to snap. I can live with that though.

MG7-A can be viewed as extra munitions in disguise, if you like. That single torpedo slot is absurdly underused.

Ticking more boxes with the Fifth Fleet Veteran. With the fix, you get a ship with heavy firepower, then tack on Fire Control system and an R2 astromech (so you don't have to use the maneuverability side if Ion Reactor) for a mean 33 pt dogfighter.

Ooryl, thematically, did nothing to help his wingman (Corran) than kill as many things as Corran opened up for him. Unlike Tycho or Corran, he never fed target locks to other ships. His ability is very nice, and I think he's going to be stapled to VI.

Luke was fiddly. I' not particularly proud of the result, but changing Luke to his original ability just gives you a better version of Corran in every way.

E-Wing MKII was the card I tossed and turned over. On the one hand, if any Legends ship deserves the tech slot it's the E-wing (Or defender...). On the other, it does go against the pattern a tad. Giving the E-wing a second systems slot is just inviting abuse - FCS+Sensor Jammer Corran would be a nightmare.

Strangely enough, there are precious few E-wing pictures available on the internet, so I had to improvise...

That Rookie build gets an average of 16 hits, with the potential for 20. R4 would be a mean 0 points.

R5-G8 on Norra is good. Any kind of torpedo boat would love it (Y-wings especially). Wedge with PTL and proton torpedoes would adore it. Just another option for niche builds.

I felt extending it to the combat phase would necessitate a jump to a 4 point cost, which is stepping into R2-D2's "Legend zone."

Baradium torps are fun. I could see a 4x rookie list where two of them have protons and the others have baradium.

21 hours ago, Astech said:

Here's my rebel submission into the Custom Card League (Season 2). Soe of these cards are on the strong side, but before complaining about it ask yourself, "Is this card as strong/broken/undercosted as Zuckuss or Palpatine?"

Rogue Squadron Pilot (2 copies in the expansion).

Rogue_Squadron_Pilot_Front_Face.png

Gavin Darklighter(X-wing)

Gavin_Darklighter_Front_Face.png

Corran Horn (X-Wing).

Corran_Horn_Front_Face.png

X-wing “Fix” Cards:

XJ X-Wing (2 Copies in the expansion)

XJ_X_wing_Front_Face.png

MG7-A Torpedo Launchers (2 Copies in the expansion)

MG7_A_Torpedo_Launchers_Front_Face.png

Ship 2: E-wing

Fifth Fleet Veteran (2 Copies in the expansion)

Fifth_Fleet_Veteran_Front_Face.png

Ooryl Qrygg (E-wing)

Ooryl_Qrygg_Front_Face.png

Luke Skywalker (E-Wing).

Luke_Skywalker_Front_Face.png

E-Wing “Fix” Cards:

E-Wing MKII (2 copies in the expansion)

E_Wing_MKII_Front_Face.png

Ion Reactor (2 copies in the expansion) (Dual Card)

Ion_Reactor_Front_Face.png  Ion_Reactor_Back_Face.png

Additional Upgrades:

R4 Astromech (2 copies in the expansion)

R4_Astromech_Front_Face.png

R5-G8

R5_G8_Front_Face.png

R2-D9

R2_D9_Front_Face.png

Baradium Torpedo (2 copies in the expansion)

Baradium_Torpedo_Front_Face.png

In particular Luke, MG7-As and R2-D9 are cards that at first glance appear absurdly overpowered, but in the grand scheme of things are not broken at all due to their cost and the slots they take up. Have I missed an absurdly strong card combination here, or maybe something really is a little undercosted?

neat