Biophysical

A place for the TIE Fighter

14 hours ago, Vineheart01 said:

ive brought a naked Wampa in lists purely to do just that: draw attention. Even though he is virtually no threat, both for the flight path hes taking and its unlikely w/o palp around, he draws a TON of attention which lets my real powerhouses do work. PTL+Mk2+x7 Ryad is most vulnerable on the initial joust, after she gets behind you GL getting rid of her.

I like lists that give my opponent difficult decisions. I dont like pouring everything into 1 ship and hoping he evades the joust focus. For the longest time my favorite list was "The Deadly 7s" which composed of Mauler Mithel, Scourge, Omega Ace, and Maarek Steele (Backdraft once he came out). All PS7, hence the name. Do you go for the 2 TIEs because theyre the squishiest? Do you get rid of the automatic crit because he scares your high HP ship to death? Or do you go after the super evasive one that if you dont remove him first hes a royal pain later? Your move...creep. 

Lot of the TIE fighters (both regular and /fo) are awesome distractions. Their abilities can be outright brutal but because of the platform theyre on theyre still "tame" in the end. If Mithel or Scourge was on a Defender oh holy crap that'd be broken lol. People generally dont use them because theyre not an "Ace" - WE HAVE MORE THAN ACE LISTS NOW!!! lol

Agreed. They are not usually game breakers or winners, but more like annoyances. But I suppose that makes sense no?

If you can splash Wampa in a Palp "Aces" list, great! In my opinion, it's a large reason why Imperial A-holes did so well.

I like the idea of trying to get intimidate onto a blocking TIE, though I'm not sure the cost-to-value will win out, as you have to increase your PS & paint a target on the ship in question... But there's some merit.

My real issue with losing the third/pocket ace is that you lose Omega Leader, and OL has won me more games than I really care to admit. For the Regionals I made top 16, I won one match with just OL and the Palp Shuttle, after Whisper went down in a horrifying first round of shooting (my mistake failing to predict opponent's move).

Two TIEs and Palp would NOT have won me anything in the scenario.

40 minutes ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

It's interesting how nobody ever makes posts about making the tie fighter great, yet the T-65 has a loyal fan following.

I think that's probably because the TIE swarm has had a place in the competitive scene from Wave 1 until Imperial Vets dropped. Their cost also allowed them to be added to a list as cheap filler or as blockers.

The T-65 on the other hand has, outside of Biggs, was always second rate. Integrated Astromech really has made a difference for T-65s though. I think that all it will take now is a few more good options for 0 or 1 point Astromechs.

There are three Tie Fighter pilots that can boost their native attack value.   That's Mauler Mithel, Backstabber, and Scourge.  They are all pretty cheap and two of them have EPT slots.  

I've also used a list that I tried out once so far and really enjoyed.  It's called:

"I have you now"

Darth Vader (29)
Swarm Leader (3)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)
TIE/x1 (0)

"Night Beast" (15)

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

Total: 100

Set the Tie Fighters up to joust and Vader to come in on the flanks.  He can't take a frontal assault.  The Tie Fighters are NOT in formation.  They are meant to set up a blocking screen.  If you get 5 Tie Fighters in front of someone, it will be very hard for them to find a place to land that isn't bumping.  You screen your front with all the low PS Tie Fighters and they all grab an Evade.  Night Beast tries to get an Evade and free Focus for cheap action economy.  Vader comes in and puts the zap on someone.  He can get the TL for the free crit and then get 4 dice thrown out there.  Usually has a Focus, too, unless he needed to reposition.   Once the TL is up, he can grab the Focus and reposition or even grab an Evade for defense.  If he needs to, he can use the TL to reroll some bad rolls.  The Tie Fighters plink in their damage, as well.  When you have that many firing at the same target, some hits get through, usually.

I played it vs. 2 bomb loaded K-wings and a U-wing with Sabine.  I was rusty, but it didn't take long to burn down the U-wing.  

10 hours ago, CRCL said:

Yeah but bumping is it's own form of defence, especially if you can then PS-kill whatever you didn't bump (made easier with Predator and expertise). Nothing I like more than bumping a ship with Rey, then annihilating another ship at R1 with the Expertise + Finn + Rey combo. 

It's been a slow erosion of blocking as a strategy. Each new wave has added cards that make it a less useful as a strategy. It started with Predator, but now we've got a large number of upgrades that reduce a ships reliance on actions: AdvSensors, Expertise, FCS, Mindlink, Palp, Manaroo, Glitterstim, etc.

Forgot the original I don't need action upgrade card. C-3PO

Not using him in a shuttle, but the next list I am going to run at my next FLGS X-Wing night has Hux with a couple TIE/fo's. Hux will be keeping Fan Dev on the Decimator, but the two TIE's will benefit from getting Focus from Hux so they can TL, Evade, BR as needed.

Captain Oicunn (42)
Trick Shot (0)
General Hux (5)
Inspiring Recruit (1)
Experimental Interface (3)
Dauntless (2)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

"Zeta Leader" (20)
Wired (1)

28 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

I keep trying to find a list I like with Hux, but the ship he's got to ride in ends up taking so many points that I can't get a combination of numbers and quality that I like from the main ships.  

On that note, I'd praise FFG if they slipped in an errata change to let a TIE Shuttle take Hux. 

Would Hux or Gunner have been that bad on the Bomber? Even with Tactician and Gunner you're still spending 23 points on a pretty weak ship.

27 minutes ago, gz1962 said:

X-Wing the game where X-Wings and Tie fighters are not considered usable. Does this disturb you as much as me?  The game is in a very odd place right now.

Unfortunately, it's not really a new concept.  The X-wing has been off the table for a couple years now.  Yes, it's reasons like this that I enjoy casual games a lot more.

39 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

I keep trying to find a list I like with Hux, but the ship he's got to ride in ends up taking so many points that I can't get a combination of numbers and quality that I like from the main ships.  

Decimator?  Lambda?  Tie Bomber?

51 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

You made me think abut Huk, and after fiddling with a builder, I'm looking at this:

Sigma Squadron Pilot (25)
Sensor Jammer (4)
General Hux (5)

Fire-Control System (2)
Hotshot Co-pilot (4)
Lightweight Frame (2)

Fire-Control System (2)
Hotshot Co-pilot (4)
Lightweight Frame (2)

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

There's no ties, but it might be worth trying out.

20 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

He can't ride in the TIE Bomber. His cost is over the limit placed by the title.

Firespray, Phantom, Decimator, Lambda, and Upsilon are the ships he can ride in (well Gozanti, and Raider as well).

32 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

You made me think abut Huk, and after fiddling with a builder, I'm looking at this:

Sensor Jammer (4)
General Hux (5)

Fire-Control System (2)
Hotshot Co-pilot (4)
Lightweight Frame (2)

Fire-Control System (2)
Hotshot Co-pilot (4)
Lightweight Frame (2)

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

There's no ties, but it might be worth trying out.

HSCP isn't helping to protect Hux if your opponents shoot his ride first. I'd consider switching to Tactician for the other way to deny focus - stress control. 

32 minutes ago, numb3rc said:

HSCP isn't helping to protect Hux if your opponents shoot his ride first. I'd consider switching to Tactician for the other way to deny focus - stress control. 

I'm guessing that Hux takes a focus token and gives Fanatical Devotion to one of the other Phantoms. Your opponent then has to decide whether they shoot at a cloacked Hux with a focus to spend and Sensor Jammer (which is almost the same effect as HSCP defensively) or shoot at a Phantom that is rolling naked green dice and will be able to push an eyeball result through as a hit against any sized token stack.

Edited by WWHSD

17 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

I'm guessing that Hux takes a focus token and gives Fanatical Devotion to one of the other Phantoms. Your opponent then has to decide whether they shoot at a cloacked Hux with a focus to spend and Sensor Jammer (which is almost the same effect as HSCP defensively) or shoot at a Phantom that is rolling naked green dice and will be able to push an eyeball result through as a hit against any sized token stack.

More than that, the one ship affected by fanatical devotion hss a much better chance to force that hit through

Hux kinda scares me from running phantoms. Yeah its only 1 damage that i cant evade but Phantoms have a habit of taking a ton of damage when they DO take damage, which means that 1-2 undodgable damage puts me in the "Oh please dont fail me green dice plz plz plz PLZ!!" area.

1 hour ago, heychadwick said:

I don't really like flying the Decimator, and it's a huge part of a list, so that's out.  Lambda is the best option for how I want to play, and I probably haven't though enough about it.  Bomber has been covered.  The stress cost really hurts Firesprays and Phantoms.  

Hmm...

Lambda, Hux, Advanced Sensors = 29

Omega Leader, Juke, Comm Relay = 26

Zeta Leader, Juke, Comm Relay = 25

Epsilon Ace, Comm Relay = 20

I don't know.

One of the more interesting ships to give the Fanatical Devotion condition effect to for me is Dark Curse. Can't re-roll or use focus tokens against him so he's a very undesirable target to shoot at but with Hux's condition he can push 1 damage at a time through. Sort of in the same space as Wampa.

5 hours ago, Biophysical said:

The best I've got is 2x TIE/Ds with a shuttle:

38 Ryad w/ Predator, Tractor, TIE/D.

33 Delta w/ IonC, TIE/D.

29 Omnicron w/ AdvS, Hux.

Ideally you want to use Hux on Ryad so the tractor auto-hits, but if she's your opponent's target, doing it on the Delta or Shuttle is also good. It's similar to another Double TIE/D list I've been using (in fact I might have pinched that list from you :lol:).

3 hours ago, Biophysical said:

I don't really like flying the Decimator, and it's a huge part of a list, so that's out.  Lambda is the best option for how I want to play, and I probably haven't though enough about it.  Bomber has been covered.  The stress cost really hurts Firesprays and Phantoms.  

Hmm...

Lambda, Hux, Advanced Sensors = 29

Omega Leader, Juke, Comm Relay = 26

Zeta Leader, Juke, Comm Relay = 25

Epsilon Ace, Comm Relay = 20

I don't know.

Could always try Strikers:

Captain Yorr (30)

-Hux

-Inspiring Recruit

-Collision Detector

Countdown (20)

-Title

Pure Sabacc (25)

-VI

-Title

-Lightweight Frame

Duchess (25)

-Adaptability

-Title

-Lightweight Frame

I think Countdown is the Premeir Tie for Fanatical Devotion. Especially with Yorr pulling Stress off of him.