Sign in to follow this  
Sciencius

Prepainted?

38 minutes ago, VanorDM said:

They are not painted, and some of them are going to be one piece, but at least some of them will require some assembly.

Some of the Descent models require minor assembly.  I'm assuming the same level.  It'll likely take a couple of minutes per unit tops.  I'm anticipating less than 30 minutes for the core set as a whole.

59 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

Some of the Descent models require minor assembly.  I'm assuming the same level.  It'll likely take a couple of minutes per unit tops.  I'm anticipating less than 30 minutes for the core set as a whole.

I'm expecting five minutes for the Rune Golem, Carrion Lancer and probably the four cavalry.

6 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

Wait, do you assemble before you paint? Or do you paint and then assemble?

Most painters recommend assembling first and then painting.  This allows more consistent blending, shading and highlighting that is much more difficult to achieve when the parts are separate.  That said, there are some notable exceptions:

• Detailed areas are obscured by assembly, rendering the underneath parts much more difficult to paint.  A classic example is a lich standing in a circle of swirling spirits (look up Nagash's model as a good example).
  • You are doing a "Dip" method with colored spray primers.  An example would be a 2 part model in jeans with no shirt.  You would spray all the jeans blue and all the tops flesh tone, then assemble, so you can quickly pick out the minimal features and dip.  This is OK because you aren't going for high end highlighting or anything that would require a more smooth transition between the two parts.

Generally though, most "masterclass" or even "good" painter recommend assembling the whole model first where-ever possible.

2 minutes ago, Oloh said:

Most painters recommend assembling first and then painting.  This allows more consistent blending, shading and highlighting that is much more difficult to achieve when the parts are separate.  That said, there are some notable exceptions:

• Detailed areas are obscured by assembly, rendering the underneath parts much more difficult to paint.  A classic example is a lich standing in a circle of swirling spirits (look up Nagash's model as a good example).
  • You are doing a "Dip" method with colored spray primers.  An example would be a 2 part model in jeans with no shirt.  You would spray all the jeans blue and all the tops flesh tone, then assemble, so you can quickly pick out the minimal features and dip.  This is OK because you aren't going for high end highlighting or anything that would require a more smooth transition between the two parts.

Generally though, most "masterclass" or even "good" painter recommend assembling the whole model first where-ever possible.

There is the old argument that says if you can't see something, you don't need to paint it.  I know a lot of people who paint the chest eagles on space marines before gluing on their guns (which cover up 90%+ of the chest eagle).  I just fully assemble, spray black and paint.  Noone has ever commented on the chest eagle portion behind the guns being unpainted.

3 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

There is the old argument that says if you can't see something, you don't need to paint it.

Unfortunately, it eats at my inner soul to know that there are unpainted portions of my minis.  I even paint the man-thong looming deep under my Scottish kilts before basing them, just to save the little guy a bit of embarrassment and ridicule should the wind should place him in a compromising predicament during battle.  

6 minutes ago, Oloh said:

Unfortunately, it eats at my inner soul to know that there are unpainted portions of my minis.  I even paint the man-thong looming deep under my Scottish kilts before basing them, just to save the little guy a bit of embarrassment and ridicule should the wind should place him in a compromising predicament during battle.  

I've got some news for you if you think we Scots wear anything under our kilts... :P

Edited by Muz333

17 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

There is the old argument that says if you can't see something, you don't need to paint it.  

That's how I look at it.  If I can't get a small brush into the area you can't see it, and if you can't see it, you can't tell if it's painted.  It's just too much of a hassle to paint then assemble and get it to look correct, when you figure shading, highlighting and such into it.

9 minutes ago, Muz333 said:

I've got some news for you if you think we Scots wear anything under our kilts... :P

:D Ah ! I knew it when I came once (in 2008) to your country that there were something about that kilt of yours ! Aaaah naughty scotishes, I love you (and that's the truth, When I visited your country, I fell in love as I fell for Saint petersbourg in Russia but people were more nice and warm in Scotland, I must go back there one day...)

Edited by Elrad