Liher

The prices are outrageous

12 minutes ago, Toenail said:

Which post do you speak of?

I'm talking about this post from Julia in the Expansions Announced thread.

On 2/5/2017 at 2:34 AM, Julia said:

This thing is seriously bad. In the last months it happened already several times that a product was announced, people got pissed by the price tag and the price tag was mysteriously lowered afterwards (happened with all the expansions of the first wave for RuneBound, that were lowered by 5 bucks each; and happened with the first box expansion for Mansions of Madness, that was lowered from 39.99 to 29.99).

This is not a professional behaviour. The only thing I get from this is that the company "tries" to see if they could earn more, and when people get pissed, they think they "tried too hard" to cash their profits. In the end, they keep damaging the image they project in this way.

20 hours ago, Elrad said:

yeah, and at this rate let's set their HQ on fire so we can have all the range for free :D

Just a warning... I once said something like that on the Bioware forums for SWTOR, and was banned for life.  I was able to reverse the ban but some mod's apparently don't consider the context or get sarcasm...

29 minutes ago, VanorDM said:

Just a warning... I once said something like that on the Bioware forums for SWTOR, and was banned for life.  I was able to reverse the ban but some mod's apparently don't consider the context or get sarcasm...

Those mods can take a long walk off a short pier, they were known for being Dbags of the first order.  I haven't seen anyone near as bad in any other forum, and the mods here have been pretty hands off and nice.

@VanorDM thanks anyway for the warning, I'll be more prudent next time (and on any other forum I go) :) !

@mulletcheese Nice ^_^ !  so bad pre_ordering in the UK will make me pay so much shipping fees that how interesting the rebate they make is, I will still pay the normal price if not higher... just have to wait till my french online shop opens the pre-orders...

1 hour ago, mulletcheese said:

Wayland games now has the expansions available to pre-order in the UK. They are advertising them as RRP £28 with 20% off when you pre-order.

£28 does not equal $25...if that's how they try to price it in the UK then I'm out. Should be £20.

Edited by Muz333

2 minutes ago, Muz333 said:

£28 does not equal $25...if that's how they try to price it in the UK then I'm out. Should be £20.

Pardon me if I don't have much pity, British products in the states cost much more than there.  I remember having to pay twice as much in dollars than it was in pounds for various miniatures from there.  Good luck, but it's nice to have it the otehr way around for once.

maybe is 28£  ǂ 25$ but be reassured that 25$=25€.... what a magical world is the one of variable-geometry of currency exchange rates (wow, don't think it's very english but...hope you understood...otherwise, my bad)

NB : for those who don't know what happens in the north Atlantic between the US$ and the €, don't worry, the money travels the ocean so the Europeans have to pay the ticket... and so 100$ that should be equal to 93.6164€ (by now :http://www.xe.com/fr/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=100&From=USD&To=EUR ) will be, by some shining wizardy, equal to 100€... :)

Edited by Elrad

6 minutes ago, Muz333 said:

it seems like they are basing off of the old price...I'd be surprised if this doesn't change as I feel it would be a bit ridiculous to have drastically different prices at this point, I'm glaring angrily at you GW /glare

26 minutes ago, Muz333 said:

I can get the core set from chaos cards for £77.55 with 3% cash back.

It'll be interesting how much the expansions are from there once they are available for pre-order.

6 minutes ago, mulletcheese said:

I can get the core set from chaos cards for £77.55 with 3% cash back.

It'll be interesting how much the expansions are from there once they are available for pre-order.

Yup. I don't expect to get a perfect exchange as it does have to be shipped over here. However, I'd be surprised if the expansions cost more in pounds than the rrp in dollars. Especially when games are usually available at less than rrp from online retailers.

Edited by Muz333

11 hours ago, Elrad said:

maybe is 28£  ǂ 25$ but be reassured that 25$=25€.... what a magical world is the one of variable-geometry of currency exchange rates (wow, don't think it's very english but...hope you understood...otherwise, my bad)

NB : for those who don't know what happens in the north Atlantic between the US$ and the €, don't worry, the money travels the ocean so the Europeans have to pay the ticket... and so 100$ that should be equal to 93.6164€ (by now :http://www.xe.com/fr/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=100&From=USD&To=EUR ) will be, by some shining wizardy, equal to 100€... :)

You seem to forget we pay VAT on everything...

Also, while today 25 USD = 20 GBP (almost exactly) the very high volatility of the sterling (thank you Brexit) as well as the volatility of the dollar (thanks to recent elections) means that the retailers need to take a safety margin if they don't want to either be out of pocket or change their prices all the time

Also, the threats of trade tariffs that have been made recently between various partners (including the country of manufacture of our beloved game) means that everyone is nervous and as a result taking a little more margin than usual to cover heightened risks

Edited by Corto

1 hour ago, Corto said:

Also, while today 25 USD = 20 GBP (almost exactly) the very high volatility of the sterling (thank you Brexit) as well as the volatility of the dollar (thanks to recent elections) means that the retailers need to take a safety margin if they don't want to either be out of pocket or change their prices all the time

Also, the threats of trade tariffs that have been made recently between various partners (including the country of manufacture of our beloved game) means that everyone is nervous and as a result taking a little more margin than usual to cover heightened risks

It's not the place I would scuttle with a political nor religious discussion, but while Donald is reassuring the world the way he does, everyone will feel rightful to bring its own craziness to that big game with rules that no one does respect we call "Political world" and so we, players, are among the potential victims of the increased degree of madness on the Lucifer-will-reign-on-us-scale. But let's wait and see. our wallets will suffer but at the end of the day we may all share a good lot of game reports, comfortably seating in front of our screens while the word pursues its escalation to the last world war...on Starcraft II in Seoul...:P

30 ? You do tell me that we will pay 30 euros those expansions ? Oo I knew that after having colonized the entire world or so we would have to repay it one day but like this :P.... oh well, there's no logical connection between the colonization and the outrageous prices of Edge... :blink:

Edited by Elrad

So I think it is amusing (though completely coincidental) that after we have spent weeks CALMLY DISCUSSING the various pricing matter of this game compared to other miniatures games including a decent amount of focus on X-wing as being not as cheap as it seems, FFG releases a news article about how to build a tournament team for $101...Its a good article just has very suspicious timing...are we being watched? I'M ASKING YOU COFFEE POT!?!? lol ^_^

1 minute ago, jek said:

So I think it is amusing (though completely coincidental) that after we have spent weeks CALMLY DISCUSSING the various pricing matter of this game compared to other miniatures games including a decent amount of focus on X-wing as being not as cheap as it seems, FFG releases a news article about how to build a tournament team for $101...Its a good article just has very suspicious timing...are we being watched? I'M ASKING YOU COFFEE POT!?!? lol ^_^

I'm watching you too, Steve.