Liher

The prices are outrageous

3 minutes ago, Obscene said:

I do think that having two two tray units would also be valid, the pits fall in it of course are that the red die have 2 blanks, so the re-roll is pretty important on any given red die unit. The biggest deal I think will come down to the equipment available as almost all of them have been pretty impact full. 
Also, I think Kari will absolutely butcher small units of reanimate archers, her melee attack surge ability is no freaking joke.

If she's in combat with a large unit of archers, one combat won't be enough to kill them all but those archers aren't really going anywhere. At least with two units, you can spread them apart or put them on both flanks to stop that. Well, until there's some upgrade or another special unit in the future.

What we need is a good card to make the skeletons soldiers into a tarpit. An upgrade that gives an extra armor or gives automatic rezzing of death troops beyond the runes would be amazing for them.

Well her melee surge is 5 range which is really long she could flanking reanimates and popping off the archers.
Reanimates look to be a decent tarpit, it seems like off how the rune system works that as long as the tray isn't annihilated you are pretty likely to get back two a turn. I also fully expect the necromancer to boost that ability, combine it with terrifying heraldry and I bet you get a unit that can just grind out whatever is engaged with it, till it panics. Also double red gives them a decent amount of punch with the ability to go an impressive 4 by 4 at 1.33 point per a model!  I also expect they will get something like front line rune golem for the daqan spearmen.

Edited by Obscene

Surges were usually by themselves on the white dice, correct? That or with a single hit icon too? Seems like a trade off but I suppose that's the point of her ability.

I did make a mistake. You couldn't take a 3x1 unit of archers but you could use a 2x2 and a 2x1 instead of a 3x2. Or three 2x1 units. Guess that means getting at least one archer expansion box will add some flexibility to armies that want more units because of the additional dial. Hmmmm, the additional dial isn't really talked about. Hmmmmmmm!

Surges are found on every die.
hit-surge on Red
Surge/Hit-Surge/Surge-Surge on blue

hit-surge/hit-surge/surge-surge/surge-morale on white
I believe off the probability calculator shes around a 92 percent chance to hit a surge every single time, this doesn't factor in that two of the surges are doubles. 
If you flank her with you can add an extra blue to really get it going. I think her dial has a surge icon present as well. She's pretty brutal up front, but I think
Ardus probably gets the craziest by stealing surge abilities from his team.

7 hours ago, Obscene said:

Why not the archers in a 6 tray formation? Gaining the extra multiplier is huge, and I believe you can still run the wizard by subbing out one archer.(not entirely sure, but I think that is how it works.)

If it is spread this way, you get 2 activations with each having a 2x multiplier. 1 unit loses out on reroll, but the math may prove to make the extra potential damage better.  Upgrades may also affect the decision.

1 hour ago, Obscene said:

Surges are found on every die.
hit-surge on Red
Surge/Hit-Surge/Surge-Surge on blue

hit-surge/hit-surge/surge-surge/surge-morale on white
I believe off the probability calculator shes around a 92 percent chance to hit a surge every single time, this doesn't factor in that two of the surges are doubles. 
If you flank her with you can add an extra blue to really get it going. I think her dial has a surge icon present as well. She's pretty brutal up front, but I think
Ardus probably gets the craziest by stealing surge abilities from his team.

Ardus also tends to do alot more up front damage due to rolling two white dice, which can be pretty brutal. If you want to hack down one unit fast, Ardus is a bit better, if you want to be able to whittle away at ranged units even while locking up another unit, Kari rocks at that.

11 minutes ago, TallTonyB said:

Ardus also tends to do alot more up front damage due to rolling two white dice, which can be pretty brutal. If you want to hack down one unit fast, Ardus is a bit better, if you want to be able to whittle away at ranged units even while locking up another unit, Kari rocks at that.

Are you limited to one of each type upgrade per a unit or can you have multiple of the same types?
Also: How are wounds assigned if for instance you have a front line rune golem in your spearmen squad and a character upgrade with a higher then normal armor value but less than the front line rune golem. Lets say the golem has 4 armor and the champion 3 armor and the unit receives 3 damage, could you assign it to the golem for it to bounce off or does it have to go to the champion model that it could hurt?

One of each upgrade type. Attacker decides where to assign damage, mostly. When you attack a unit, you decide what figures to apply the hits to, but they have to be in the back most rank of the unit. The only way to hit the upgrade dudes in the front (where everyone will put them) is to either take out all the ranks behind them first, or use accuracies. Each accuracy you roll lets you assign up to one wound worth of damage to any figure you want, but you have to have the accuracy and enough hits to match his defense.

The prices of Runewars units are outrageous? I didn't seem to think so. That's par for the course for FF games. Look at X-Wing for example. One thing is pretty much a given though, I think the gameplay will be great since FF usually releases good stuff.

On 1/31/2017 at 10:24 AM, Muz333 said:

Command units can only be inserted into squads that have a sufficient formation size, as per the back of their card. As such you probably won't be needing many of these command packs because the points limit dictates that you won't be fielding many large formations in your army.

I'm also glad they aren't paired with the infantry squads because then you'd likely end up with too many for your army. This problem gets exasperated when the Daqan get archers, or heavy infantry etc as surely they too would then need the inclusion of the formation upgrade units?

Edit:

Actually, looking at the back of reanimates I suppose it is possible you may want a few musicians and standard bearers for your army if you aren't going for big squads. Although then the upgrades cost points so you will have a smaller army but it stands to reason you may want a few of these packs after all.

pic3127977_lg.jpg

Two points

1. I meant limited per army, at the time I didn't realize that they were the unit commanders.

2. Don't forget Ardus' ability which gives your units the upgrade slots of the next highest formation. So you could have a musician and bannerman in a 2x1 or those and a corporal in a 2x2.

14 minutes ago, Usaretama said:

Huh.  I was looking at the product page for the expansions again and they're showing the price as $24.95.  Think it's an error, or was the earlier price an error?

I think they probably read the initial reaction and acted accordingly.

1 hour ago, Muz333 said:

I think they probably read the initial reaction and acted accordingly.

I kind of doubt that the company dropped their prices by ~17% right off the bat based on outrage from a handful of people on an internet forum.  I think it's more likely that they posted either the 29.95 or 24.95 in error.

1 minute ago, KrisWall said:

I kind of doubt that the company dropped their prices by ~17% right off the bat based on outrage from a handful of people on an internet forum.  I think it's more likely that they posted either the 29.95 or 24.95 in error.

I think so too. While it would be nice if they had read us or taken our opinion into account, it's safer to believe that they went wrong with their communication line.

50 minutes ago, Elrad said:

I think so too. While it would be nice if they had read us or taken our opinion into account, it's safer to believe that they went wrong with their communication line.

Whatever the reason, it's good that the expansions revealed so far are $5 cheaper now.

2 hours ago, Usaretama said:

Huh.  I was looking at the product page for the expansions again and they're showing the price as $24.95.  Think it's an error, or was the earlier price an error?

Awsome! I thought that 30$ wasn't too bad for a table top game, but hey 5$ off is always nice.   

8 minutes ago, Tvayumat said:

Honestly, as a tabletop war/skirmish gamer, this is starting to make me feel like I spend too much on my hobbies.

I look at the prices FFG is asking, consider what all I'm getting in the packs, and shrug off a "Well, less expensive than like three other games I'm playing..."

I can see that, I just really enjoyed Rank and File games and I'm glad FFG doing this game.  I'm always been really happy how they build their gaming community with tournaments and events.  So, at least I know my money going to toward something, I play other mini-games that would be less expense but do an awful job of doing community events  

1 hour ago, Toqtamish said:

If you feel the prices are outrageous then simply don't buy it. No one is forcing you to. 

That doesn't change anything about them being outrageous or not. This is such a lame response to legitimate outrage (though $25 is much better).

1 hour ago, Tvayumat said:

Honestly, as a tabletop war/skirmish gamer, this is starting to make me feel like I spend too much on my hobbies.

I look at the prices FFG is asking, consider what all I'm getting in the packs, and shrug off a "Well, less expensive than like three other games I'm playing..."

Which is why Frostgrave is my new love.

1 hour ago, Toenail said:

That doesn't change anything about them being outrageous or not. This is such a lame response to legitimate outrage (though $25 is much better).

How is it legitimate outrage though? The price (especially now) is the exact same if not cheaper than Imperial Assault not to mention the overall startup price is the same or cheaper than the LOWEST PRICED competitors...and with the game system by FFG I'm 99.9% sure this system is going to be fun and streamlined...

1 hour ago, Toenail said:

I think you'll find the contention here is that the outrage is *not*, in fact, legitimate, or at least not justified.

It's really not.

This game is objectively cheaper than many others it is in direct competition with.