Liher

The prices are outrageous

Actually, never mind, I'm not trying to make you feel bad nor get you in trouble with your employers. Thank you for your service in the board game testing industry, I appreciate you spending time to help the rest of us understand the game.

But if you think you were in anyway involved in the pricing of this game you are sorely mistaken, and must understand that FFG reads these forums and will see you as misleading others into believing as such, or that you are an employee of FFG. If this is something you get paid to do as a representative of FFG I would re think some of your responses. Do you think this is how FFG wants their official representatives talking to potential customers? Is this how you talk to people at demos? Wow.

On 3/15/2017 at 2:07 AM, TallTonyB said:

Really? What do you notice about those numbers you quoted?

2 trays = 2x1

4 trays = 2x2

6 trays = 3x2

9 trays = 3x3

... they aren't trying to sucker money out of you... that's just how a square works. ;)

On 3/16/2017 at 1:28 AM, TallTonyB said:

Ok, I guess I have to spell it out to you. You're wrong. Period. The formations have nothing to do with the sales model, and everything to do with it being a rank and file game. You can keep trying to troll me, but it doesn't really work when I know for a fact you are wrong.

On 3/15/2017 at 9:14 AM, TallTonyB said:

I assure you, 

A) I am not naive when it comes to business

B) I would bet I know a good bit more about this game than you do ;)

14 minutes ago, TallTonyB said:

Who's flying anywhere? Would you like me to take a picture next to the FFG and Asmodee NA signs next time I'm there? ;)

That being said, I do apologize for getting a bit... snarky. If you would like to learn more actual info about the game, swing by Chicago next weekend for adepticon. I would be happy to teach you all about it.

Edited by FrogTrigger

All this for the extra 'odd' tray in the 9*9? Froggy my friend let's just split an expansion and split the cost. Job done, it would have cost more to ffg to design this than what it's worth of unused trays bought by people without a friend or acquaintance to split with

1 minute ago, Corto said:

All this for the extra 'odd' tray in the 9*9? Froggy my friend let's just split an expansion and split the cost. Job done, it would have cost more to ffg to design this than what it's worth of unused trays bought by people without a friend or acquaintance to split with

There will be no solutions on the internet!  Take these comments elsewhere!  The internet is only for complaining!  I will now report you to the moderators who will cancel your account.

j/k ;)

7 minutes ago, FrogTrigger said:

Actually, never mind, I'm not trying to make you feel bad nor get you in trouble with your employers. Thank you for your service in the board game testing industry, I appreciate you spending time to help the rest of us understand the game.

But if you think you were in anyway involved in the pricing of this game you are sorely mistaken, and must understand that FFG reads these forums and will see you as misleading others into believing as such, or that you are an employee of FFG. If this is something you get paid to do as a representative of FFG I would re think some of your responses.

Ease up, man. Don't you see that this escalated from a misunderstanding? Your recent points about the business model are far broader than the original post that @TallTonyB responded to (which you didn't even quote). Your original statement was that the formation sizes were greedy because it allowed FFG to sell more models that people couldn't use. @TallTonyB responded by saying that your statement was incorrect and that formation sizes were chosen independent of the distribution model, which I interpret to mean "I don't know all the behind-the-scenes info, but I do know that they did not choose those sizes just to screw you out of models" while you interpreted it as "I know the business model of this entire game." As I have shown in multiple posts, the idea that formation sizes were shoehorned into sizes that maximize expansions sold doesn't hold up. As we both agreed later, Sales and Design had to bounce off one another throughout the process.

Despite that, you continue to badger @TallTonyB as lying and misrepresenting himself as being in the know about the business model when he hasn't said that, nor has he said that he works for the company. All he said was that your original assertion (which you agreed with me was slightly off base) was wrong. He never said he knew what the business model was, only that he knows the game better than you and that he knew that formation sizes were independent of the distribution model. You are the one who keeps putting words in his mouth. He did say he knows about business (perhaps a degree or profession?) and that he knows the game better than you do. You incorrectly seem to have interpreted that to mean that he knows the business model of this game.

You also say that he is mistaken if he thinks he was involved in any way with the pricing of the game. How would you know if he was involved or not? And even if he was never involved with the pricing of the game, he never said he was -- you did. And knowing whether an aspect of the game design was created irrespective of the final distribution model does not necessarily make one involved in the pricing of a game.

Also, do note that he did apologize in his most recent post, and yet you continue to make attacks.

And finally, keep in mind that he has never said he was involved with playtesting or working at FFG. I was the only one who said that because I felt it gave more substance to his comments that you were so quick to rudely dismiss (calling him a random number on the internet). You have continued to use that dismissive attitude throughout this thread, insinuating that you have far greater knowledge than the rest of us (which is something you criticize others of doing). If anyone needs to rethink how and what they post, it's you.

18 minutes ago, Corto said:

Chances are a 9 tray unit is going to be doing it for the upgrades, so would likely have one full tray of commanders or a siege unit or a hero. So it's unlikely that we'll ever be stuck one tray short or extra.

But I don't, I'm random internet poster #1231, he's a representative of the company. This has nothing to do with my job, or my personal life, I am just on here to discuss my opinion as heated or un heated as I want to.

44 minutes ago, TallTonyB said:

Who's flying anywhere? Would you like me to take a picture next to the FFG and Asmodee NA signs next time I'm there? ;)

If you would like to learn more actual info about the game, swing by Chicago next weekend for adepticon. I would be happy to teach you all about it.

I'd say right there he is confirming his involvement with FFG's demo team. I matched his tone on every response, smug and dismissive. Great way to represent a company :D This back and forth between him and I has actually made me lose respect for FFG and made me want to support them less. 

Edited by FrogTrigger

6 minutes ago, FrogTrigger said:

But I don't, I'm random internet poster #1231, he's a representative of the company. This has nothing to do with my job, or my personal life, I am just on here to discuss my opinion as heated or un heated as I want to.

I'd say right there he is all but confirming he is involved with FFG in some way shape or form. I matched his tone on every response, smug and dismissive. Great way to represent a company :D

I'd say that means he lives close enough to the FFG headquarters that he could drive over there and get a picture for you. It doesn't mean he works for them. All we know is that he demos the game for them at different conventions. It's not surprising that they would choose someone who lives in the area to teach the game to, especially if he is a playtester.

And if you demo the game for them at conventions as part of the Flight Crew or if you are a playtester for FFG, your contract specifically states that YOU ARE NOT A REPRESENTATIVE OF FFG. You only represent them for the duration of the demo. It is not a contract of employment. You evidently have no understanding of what does and does not make one a representative of FFG. TallTonyB is not a representative of the company and has not said he is -- you did.

EDIT: If you aren't familiar with FFG's policy on forum participation, they generally frown upon employees posting to the forums, so you hardly ever see game designers or others posting here. The fact that TallTonyB posts here as much as he does is one more line of evidence convincing me that he is not an affiliate of the company. He's just a lucky fan who got to know the game before the rest of us.

Edited by Budgernaut

And if I was a volunteer, employee, representative, whatever you want to call it, someone wearing the FFG logo at a convention teaching others the game I would be ashamed of the above quotes and if I was FFG I would be embarrassed that this is the guy who ... wears our shirt... at demos.

The fact that TallTonyB posts here as much as he does is one more line of evidence convincing me that he is not an affiliate of the company. He's just a lucky fan who got to know the game before the rest of us.

Careful, you might hurt his ego, this seems to mean the world to him. ;) 

In all seriousness though you are right, if someone has no formal training or professional experience I can't hold them to the same standard as a company like FFG. He obviously isn't familiar with how to conduct yourself in a public setting when you are affiliated in any way shape or form with that company, so I can't blame him for his ignorance. Good point.

Edited by FrogTrigger

12 minutes ago, FrogTrigger said:

But he never said he was affiliated with the company. I was the only one who said he was a demo guy. Again, you're putting words in others' mouths.

@Budgernaut I think at this point @FrogTrigger is just trolling and/or using this discussion to up the page count for the next time he has the opportunity to say "look at the page count on this thread about how the game is overpriced." To both of you I say, your not convincing the other side so at this point it would be best to walk away either buy the game or don't.

And to @TallTonyB I am sorry that you are being dragged through the mud, I hope your demo's at adepticon go well and draw more people to this awesome game.

20 minutes ago, jek said:

Man this back and forth is getting old...and taken up about 2 pages for some guy to just ramble about inferred corporate greed...

It's been very valuable for me actually, I know that frog trigger is probably a person not worth knowing or talking to in real life, whereas the rest of you I look forward to gaming with at some point in the future.

FFG isn't generally too keen on thier employees posting on the forums, and stuff like this is why. If I was an employee I wouldn't even be able to read the forums at all. I would be fired in a week because I couldn't keep my mouth shut. At any rate, all I tried to do was correct your assumption. You came back rude and dismissive, I gave back in kind. The difference is I realized I was in the wrong, and apologized. For some reason you can't seem to do the same. That's ok. I won't pollute the thread any further. Have a good day sir.

3 minutes ago, TallTonyB said:

FFG isn't generally too keen on thier employees posting on the forums, and stuff like this is why. If I was an employee I wouldn't even be able to read the forums at all. I would be fired in a week because I couldn't keep my mouth shut. At any rate, all I tried to do was correct your assumption. You came back rude and dismissive, I gave back in kind. The difference is I realized I was in the wrong, and apologized. For some reason you can't seem to do the same. That's ok. I won't pollute the thread any further. Have a good day sir.

Quick question.  Related to the thread, do you know about the terrain that comes with the character packs (Like Lord Hawthorn)?  Is this new terrain, or more of the same that comes in the boxed set?  Also  are there significantly more cards in the hero packs?  That price tag on them is a little steep (as we discussed elsewhere), what exactly are we getting for it?  The article on them is unclear.

1 hour ago, Taki said:

It's been very valuable for me actually, I know that frog trigger is probably a person not worth knowing or talking to in real life, whereas the rest of you I look forward to gaming with at some point in the future.

I agree and I'm not trying to dismiss what we discuss just when it gets stuck going nowhere. I hope to some day play a game with you all

20 minutes ago, jek said:

I agree and I'm not trying to dismiss what we discuss just when it gets stuck going nowhere. I hope to some day play a game with you all

And that is what one needs, a goal in life :D

6 hours ago, FrogTrigger said:

In all seriousness though you are right, if someone has no formal training or professional experience I can't hold them to the same standard as a company like FFG. He obviously isn't familiar with how to conduct yourself in a public setting when you are affiliated in any way shape or form with that company, so I can't blame him for his ignorance. Good point.

Dude, I'm not sure if you realize, but this message board offers no prize for being  the biggest wanker.

Edited by player1750031

2 hours ago, TallTonyB said:

Well I stand by what I said, but I agree we aren't going to see eye to eye on the topic. I apologize if I offended you, I definitely meant to come off the way I did and I am glad you can admit that you did as well. But I also was wrong in doing so, and two wrongs don't make a right, so lets just agree to disagree and move on.. but I am not sure what else to discuss in a thread that is titled 'The prices are outrageous'.. because I do still think that the prices are outrageous and would like to discuss it with people.

So fair warning people.. I will be continuing to discuss the price of the game in this thread.. if you want to talk about anything else you probably should be in another thread?

Edited by FrogTrigger

2 hours ago, Toenail said:

I leave you guys alone for what, six pages, and you all get into a fight?! :P

On the bright side, now I have some reading material.

Hey at least it wasn't me this time!