Jump to content
Liher

The prices are outrageous

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, Tvayumat said:

There are several factors to consider, though...

Firstly, the X-Wing and Armada pre-paints are much simpler affairs. A handful of colors, base grays, a black wash, and a few hull markings are much, much easier to do on an assembly line than the sort of detail involved in human figures. In fact, these games are far from normal, they are almost completely anomalous in that they provide painted figures, but also comparatively few. A "unit" in X-Wing is one fighter, as opposed to 8-50 skeleton warriors. It's not feasible to expect a game like RuneWars to come pre-painted.

Secondly, assuming they *did* go ahead and pre-paint these figures, the price would skyrocket. Myself and many others would much rather receive MORE miniatures rather than fewer, okay-ish looking painted figures.

Furthermore, and as mentioned, those of us who *do* like to paint our own miniatures would be pretty instantly turned off by crappy, detail obscuring paint jobs (they would be, see Heroclix) that we would then have to strip and re-paint.

It sounds like Runewars isn't the game for you, if you can't stomach playing with unpainted miniatures, or devoting 15 minutes a day for a while to get your army up to tabletop standards.

That's fine. There are plenty of skirmish level games made for folk who don't want the experience Runewars has set out to provide.

QFT.  But again he could go with painted figs and they'll look great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Professor Nomos said:

Somewhat tangential to the painting conversation, but do we have an idea of conversion rules for Organized play?

 

if I wanted to customize shields and helmets, would this be legal? 

So long as the model is easily recognizable as what it is, then yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Professor Nomos said:

Somewhat tangential to the painting conversation, but do we have an idea of conversion rules for Organized play?

 

if I wanted to customize shields and helmets, would this be legal? 

I don't see why not. All the other FFG miniature-based games allow modified figures (but not proxies) in organized play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hijodecain said:

I will go with unpainted miniatures, thanks god there is no rule explaining till now that I can't do it.

You could always just do a quick spray paint for each faction to have a different base colour. Depending on whether you are collecting more than one faction or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So looking at the unboxing video, I've realized I'm out of green stuff after my last warmachine build. I wasn't satisfied with the brand I was using, can recommend a good brand, especially for these flex plastics? Or is it silly to bother with putty on these kinds of models? I've never worked with multi part with this material. It looks like the larger models are big enough and solid enough to hold putty together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drkpnthr said:

So looking at the unboxing video, I've realized I'm out of green stuff after my last warmachine build. I wasn't satisfied with the brand I was using, can recommend a good brand, especially for these flex plastics? Or is it silly to bother with putty on these kinds of models? I've never worked with multi part with this material. It looks like the larger models are big enough and solid enough to hold putty together.

 You can get crazy good deals on Epoxy Putty from Amazon. Just make sure it has the two distinct colors.  You won't need nearly as much with Rune Wars as you do with other company Metals (I wager).  If these are easy-assembly a few loose fits vs. tight fits situations could arise. 

Plus, you'll want some to slightly vary the levels of your bases before flocking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drkpnthr said:

So looking at the unboxing video, I've realized I'm out of green stuff after my last warmachine build. I wasn't satisfied with the brand I was using, can recommend a good brand, especially for these flex plastics? Or is it silly to bother with putty on these kinds of models? I've never worked with multi part with this material. It looks like the larger models are big enough and solid enough to hold putty together.

I use milliput, they have like 5-6 different types of moldable epoxy for a variety or detail and such and the standard one that is basically green stuff is $8 for 4oz? check it out...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, drkpnthr said:

So looking at the unboxing video, I've realized I'm out of green stuff after my last warmachine build. I wasn't satisfied with the brand I was using, can recommend a good brand, especially for these flex plastics? Or is it silly to bother with putty on these kinds of models? I've never worked with multi part with this material. It looks like the larger models are big enough and solid enough to hold putty together.

Greenstuff works fine on PVC figures. It's not silly at all. In fact the PVC and GS have about the same amount of flex so it works nicely and is unlikely to break. You shouldn't need it for smaller models but it can be good for gap filling bigger ones or adding details.

I know I've posted these before but... examples of green-stuff on FFG PVCs...

dFZOD1El.jpgtjl2bw6l.jpg

6KifQ0Pl.jpgxWDS3z7l.jpg
26VxpLtl.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late to the party but here is my two cents:

I hate the model. FFG is known for their greedy models, they get away with it because generally the game component and play quality is just that good. This may be another one of those cases, but it makes me hard to get excited about buying in.

If I am understanding this correctly, the way that the increases in units work is set up so you basically have to buy multiples of the packs to gain the next tray level (with some exceptions), I am assuming you can't go in between?

For example: You can jump from 2 Oathsworn in the core to 4 with the purchase of one 24.95 pack, sweet. You can jump again to 6 for another pack, ok that is great. But to jump up to 9, you have to buy two packs, with one tray you won't even be able to use.

For the Rune Golem you have to buy a pack of 2 to go from 1 to 2, and have an extra you won't use. To get to 4 you need to buy another pack, and again have an extra. And same for 6, ending with an extra you don't use.

For Spearmen you buy a pack to get from 4 to 6, works good, but to get to 9 you again have to buy two packs with one you won't use.

Seems like a lot of unnecessary buying of packs, like the model is set up that way on purpose to get us to spend more money. Again it is a business and FFG does this all the time, but we shouldn't be upset because they usually deliver on quality.. but this is irking me from a buy in stand point.

But again I might not be understanding this correctly. You can only have up to 9 trays of one unit? Or only up to 9 trays connected? Can I do two different spearmen units of 6 trays?

But I am estimating somewhere around $250 for a buy in for a full army... that is expensive. I got into X-Wing for $95 with a competitive tournament list. Even IA isn't that expensive to get a skirmish team together..

Edited by FrogTrigger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, FrogTrigger said:

For example: You can jump from 2 Oathsworn in the core to 4 with the purchase of one 24.95 pack, sweet. You can jump again to 6 for another pack, ok that is great. But to jump up to 9, you have to buy two packs, with one tray you won't even be able to use.

You can also add upgrade figures to a unit. We haven't really seen too much of the cavalry upgrades, but Lord Hawthorne will be one. He will come with an upgrade card that can be equipped to cavalry units. Using that upgrade, you can put the Lord Hawthorne figure as a tray in your unit. That means you only need 8 Oathsworn Cavalry and one Lord Hawthorne pack. If you split a core with a buddy, you'll have 4 trays of cavalry and will only need 3 expansions to get the largest Oathsworn Cavalry unit.

EDIT: For the Spearmen and such, you can add the infantry upgrade expansion figures to your unit. Again, you can get 8 Reanimate trays and one Infantry Upgrade tray and you'll be able to field the 9-tray formation.

In general, you're right. You can't mix different units into formations.

Edited by Budgernaut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, FrogTrigger said:

I hate the model. FFG is known for their greedy models, they get away with it because generally the game component and play quality is just that good. This may be another one of those cases, but it makes me hard to get excited about buying in.

I feel like saying that this is FFG model is a bit hard since this is pretty much the standard of how miniature games are sold.  If you want multiple units of different sizes you need to buy more packs.  But for this game if you are trying to just get filler models then your best bet will be parted out sets on Ebay...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course there's always the GW model where you have to pay for two or three model variants in each box and can really only use one. It always struck me as a lot of wasted plastic and money, but I think a lot of other folks saw it as being a big value. I shake my head...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Elliphino said:

Of course there's always the GW model where you have to pay for two or three model variants in each box and can really only use one. It always struck me as a lot of wasted plastic and money, but I think a lot of other folks saw it as being a big value. I shake my head...

I felt that privateer press did that model much better with the beasts/jacks.  Not nearly as much of a waste since typically half the contents of a GW box aren't used (because you need 17 arm options 12 weapon options and 20 pouches for each fig).  It was very good to be able to magnetize a jack to be able to use all the options though eventually I stopped doing this...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, FrogTrigger said:

Late to the party but here is my two cents:

I hate the model. FFG is known for their greedy models, they get away with it because generally the game component and play quality is just that good. This may be another one of those cases, but it makes me hard to get excited about buying in.

If I am understanding this correctly, the way that the increases in units work is set up so you basically have to buy multiples of the packs to gain the next tray level (with some exceptions), I am assuming you can't go in between?

For example: You can jump from 2 Oathsworn in the core to 4 with the purchase of one 24.95 pack, sweet. You can jump again to 6 for another pack, ok that is great. But to jump up to 9, you have to buy two packs, with one tray you won't even be able to use.

For the Rune Golem you have to buy a pack of 2 to go from 1 to 2, and have an extra you won't use. To get to 4 you need to buy another pack, and again have an extra. And same for 6, ending with an extra you don't use.

For Spearmen you buy a pack to get from 4 to 6, works good, but to get to 9 you again have to buy two packs with one you won't use.

Seems like a lot of unnecessary buying of packs, like the model is set up that way on purpose to get us to spend more money. Again it is a business and FFG does this all the time, but we shouldn't be upset because they usually deliver on quality.. but this is irking me from a buy in stand point.

But again I might not be understanding this correctly. You can only have up to 9 trays of one unit? Or only up to 9 trays connected? Can I do two different spearmen units of 6 trays?

But I am estimating somewhere around $250 for a buy in for a full army... that is expensive. I got into X-Wing for $95 with a competitive tournament list. Even IA isn't that expensive to get a skirmish team together..

Really? What do you notice about those numbers you quoted?

2 trays = 2x1

4 trays = 2x2

6 trays = 3x2

9 trays = 3x3

... they aren't trying to sucker money out of you... that's just how a square works. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TallTonyB said:

Really? What do you notice about those numbers you quoted?

2 trays = 2x1

4 trays = 2x2

6 trays = 3x2

9 trays = 3x3

... they aren't trying to sucker money out of you... that's just how a square works. ;)

Is there any need of using a square template as formation base? can't FFG use a 8 trays formation? 4x2 or 3-3-1? any problem on not a square formation?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hijodecain said:

Is there any need of using a square template as formation base? can't FFG use a 8 trays formation? 4x2 or 3-3-1? any problem on not a square formation?

 

It's probably just a balance between the threat/reroll mechanic for formations. I'm sure we'll see some units that skew this square shape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Muz333 said:

It's probably just a balance between the threat/reroll mechanic for formations. I'm sure we'll see some units that skew this square shape.

Oh it is definitely a balancing decision.  I like the set formations personally.  When they are influencing the amount of upgrades a unit can take it makes sense to have set formation, and with the damage/reroll mechanic why wouldn't you want to start with a full row to get another full reroll?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Elliphino said:

Of course there's always the GW model 

And the way they seem to charge based on the number of models you're likely to buy.  That's the only way I can think of to explain that a box of Boyz only costs $29, but a box of Space Marines costs $40, even though they both come with the same number of models, options and same amount of plastic.   Or a Necron Overlord which is a single model not much bigger then either a boy or a marine, costs $28.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, VanorDM said:

And the way they seem to charge based on the number of models you're likely to buy.  That's the only way I can think of to explain that a box of Boyz only costs $29, but a box of Space Marines costs $40, even though they both come with the same number of models, options and same amount of plastic.   Or a Necron Overlord which is a single model not much bigger then either a boy or a marine, costs $28.

 

I feel like they base their prices on point cost...I like the even costs across the board like this game, infinity,  and warmahordes.  Yeah some things may be priced a bit differently when it comes to unique or giant things but it is rarely as skewed as GW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TallTonyB said:

Really? What do you notice about those numbers you quoted?

2 trays = 2x1

4 trays = 2x2

6 trays = 3x2

9 trays = 3x3

... they aren't trying to sucker money out of you... that's just how a square works. ;)

You are naive if you don't think that the game was designed to fit into the sales model, not the other way around ;)

Edited by FrogTrigger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...