Liher

The prices are outrageous

I was not using GW in my assessment, I consider Kings of War/Mantic to be the best buy for the dollar right now BUT I did mention that forces in RW are SMALL.

" but with Army building so compact it's probably not as expensive in the long run." 

I just want to get the core set and play a game, because, if it fun and challenging to play the cost then sets the value for the amount of fun I can see that I may have. Even the cheapest of games unplayed isn't a good value for money, while the most expensive can bring hours of fun.

1 hour ago, drkpnthr said:

I'm planning to try to mod the snot out of my minis. I have an idea so that I can try to make the 'magic eye smoke' effect all the Waiqar undead seem to have in the art.

I very much want the same pale purple ember they have glowing in their eyes.

Looking forward to seeing different armies getting painted up.

I have to disagree with most of you. For me 8 miniatures per 25€ is expensive. 

16 per 35 or 40€ (more realistic than 35) is something I would feel better. And more reusing the molds of core game. 

Also heroes at 25$, 2 miniatures (3 counting the horse),

what are you paying really? The rol of the miniature on the game? This is something I didn't like from GW.

Globaly i don't see expensive the game. But this is because core game is a very good offer. 

So expansions to me are overpriced. I don't know if i will follow up buying all the published expansions. 

Just an example of something more fair about pricing in FFG: Captain Terro Imperial Assault booster pack. It cost 15€, comes with a riding hero and a extra body, and also a bunch of cards.

The additional material in RWM are the trays and the dial, and I don't think them cost 10€. 

10€ for a on foot hero or 15€ for a mounted hero is more fair to me. 

2 hours ago, Hijodecain said:

I have to disagree with most of you. For me 8 miniatures per 25€ is expensive. 

16 per 35 or 40€ (more realistic than 35) is something I would feel better. And more reusing the molds of core game. 

Also heroes at 25$, 2 miniatures (3 counting the horse),

what are you paying really? The rol of the miniature on the game? This is something I didn't like from GW.

Globaly i don't see expensive the game. But this is because core game is a very good offer. 

So expansions to me are overpriced. I don't know if i will follow up buying all the published expansions. 

I understand the argumant for the units, I myself am not looking forward to spending $100 to field a full unit of reanimates, but for the heroes these are 1 time purchases so there isn't going to be the same cost recoup in them as with the base units.

Let's look at what you are getting for $25 on a Hero: 2 figures, 2 bases, 2 trays, hero card, dial, 6 upgrade cards, deployment card, objective card, terrain card, and double sided terrain tile. Now that seems like a lot of stuff for $25 especially when you get 2 large figs and assorted cards for $35.

1 hour ago, Orcdruid said:

[...]Let's look at what you are getting for $25 on a Hero: 2 figures, 2 bases, 2 trays, hero card, dial, 6 upgrade cards, deployment card, objective card, terrain card, and double sided terrain tile. Now that seems like a lot of stuff for $25 especially when you get 2 large figs and assorted cards for $35.

Sorry, I have to compare to Imperial Assault: A bunch of cards, 2 miniatures... check the picture + additional body, not shown in the picture, really, really very similar, missing items comparing both items: dial, trays + terrain tile. And those things don't cost 10 bucks of difference. Also there is a additional cost on Imperial Assault, the Disney franchise of Star Wars and I'm quite sure this is not cheap.

Picture of Captain Terro - Imperial Assault Booster Pack

Picture of Lord Hawthorne Hero Expansion - Runewars Miniatures

Edited by Hijodecain

@Hijodecain 2 things on your comparison.

1.) The Terro expac gives 1 figure with two options not 2 figures.

2.) The Terro expac has higher selling potential as you can use up to 3 copies of the pack when list building, which is not the case with the RWM heroes. This needs to be factored in to cost analysis because it will affect sales.

Deja vu...I woke up to this argument being on my facebook feed from the rune wars group...and now it is here using the same argument and model STOP FOLLOWING ME CAPTAIN TERRO! but I agree with @Orcdruid the hero is much more comparative to two boxes say captain terro and agent blaise? the hero is two separate models, calling the horse a 3rd is trying desperately to rationalize the cost, but still.  Each hero has its own unique dial, and hero cards then there are the upgrades, terrain card and I'm assuming terrain pieces, and scenario card.  I would make the argument that components are going to be similar to the amount in two IA expacs also.  If this were an either or situation yes I would agree $25 is too much but since it is both It falls right in line with FFG's previous pricing method.  

@Hijodecain are you not going to be buying the packs at 10-20% off MSRP? I don't know how pricing works for these in the EU, but here it is basically going to 2 packs for between $40-$45 so I'm honestly curious if you are ok with paying that 40ish for 16 models how you aren't going to be paying that anyway?

52 minutes ago, Orcdruid said:

@Hijodecain 2 things on your comparison.

1.) The Terro expac gives 1 figure with two options not 2 figures.

2.) The Terro expac has higher selling potential as you can use up to 3 copies of the pack when list building, which is not the case with the RWM heroes. This needs to be factored in to cost analysis because it will affect sales.

Answering to 1.- RWM gives 2 times the same hero (one mounted, one on foot), you can't use both at the same time. Neither IA booster pack.

About 2.- Do you think Disney franchise plus the possibility to buy multiples copies vs. a cardboard sheet (dial + terrain probably are on the same sheet) + 2 trays are a difference of 10$?

6 minutes ago, jek said:

[...]

@Hijodecain are you not going to be buying the packs at 10-20% off MSRP? I don't know how pricing works for these in the EU, but here it is basically going to 2 packs for between $40-$45 so I'm honestly curious if you are ok with paying that 40ish for 16 models how you aren't going to be paying that anyway?

I really don't have any problem, probably I will pick up one copy of each of a single faction, I love to discuss, and in this topic I feel a little bit cheated with 2 miniatures per 25$. I feel less cheated with 8 miniatures per 25$. And with an option of 16 miniatures in a hypothetical situation of 35-40$ I would feel even better.

But I also feel cheated in IA with a miniature $10-$15. And I also paid for it.

(I also train my English skills because as you have probably feel this is not my mother tongue :P).

Edited by Hijodecain

I think its a strategic buy for Ankaur vs the collection buy of Terro. People who play Waiqar will all buy him for the Waiqar-related special terrain and Waiqar-only faction upgrades. Daqan/etc players will never need buy him, because their hero comes with his own upgrades plus the generic ones shared with Ankaur. So if they are assuming only 50% who buy in the first few production runs will order him, they are making less of that model than say the rune golems model of the Core set (since 50% of the rune golems expansion is the same model). So its a different production cost than you get with Terro. With IA, people buy everything because they want one of everything for their mini collection to play the campaigns or EotE. Its not necessarily about if they will be fielding that unit in tournament play. FFG will probably sell -more- Terros than the first run of Ankaur simply because at the point he came in, more people were invested in IA than the initial run of Runewars. I'm certain FFG stopped to watch the preorders before announcing the rest of the wave specifically because they wanted to see how many requests from vendors they were getting before doing their production estimates to set the MSRP.

for less than $200 you can get a tournament legal army in either Kings of War or Rune Wars. 
However the Kings of War army will have ~2 x as many figures. 
So are price "outrageous"? 
yes and no. 
If they increase the size of armies (like they did with Armada) then the prices are bordering on outrageous.

1 hour ago, Hidatom said:

for less than $200 you can get a tournament legal army in either Kings of War or Rune Wars. 
However the Kings of War army will have ~2 x as many figures. 
So are price "outrageous"? 
yes and no. 
If they increase the size of armies (like they did with Armada) then the prices are bordering on outrageous.

Except that most of their figures are garbage.  I know aesthetics are subjective, but a lot of people don't like their figures.  I myself like their undead and dungeon crawl figures and walking dead line, and that's it.  They may be improving with each new sculpt also, but what's on offer isn't really worth owning for the most part.  And their rules aren't that good.  With RWMG I'm going to pay (honestly have already paid as I preordered) for the gameplay, IP, and mini's.  KoW has gotten less of my money than RW has, and it's not even out yet.

In the Armada game, the first series of battles were at 300 points, I recall.  After more product came out (waves) the normal game play was increased to 400 points, right?

I hope they do the same for this game, and the normal game will be 300 points. 

I've never seen or heard of a Rank & File army game where the same troops/units could have different initiative values during the game.  This should be amazing.

26 minutes ago, rudedog said:

In the Armada game, the first series of battles were at 300 points, I recall.  After more product came out (waves) the normal game play was increased to 400 points, right?

I hope they do the same for this game, and the normal game will be 300 points. 

I've never seen or heard of a Rank & File army game where the same troops/units could have different initiative values during the game.  This should be amazing.

Yeah I hope they increase standard tourney size once more stuff is out, but even before then I will probably start playing 3-400 point games once the wave 1 expansions launch

Yes, the Starting Core Set (only) for Armada was 180 points.

Then Wave 1 introduced the standard game of 300 Points.

Wave 2 increased the game to 400 Points, but that was because Wave 2 included Large Ships that themselves were 100+ Points on their own, before upgrades.  

But 400 points is where FFG has said it will stay.

32 minutes ago, jek said:

Yeah I hope they increase standard tourney size once more stuff is out, but even before then I will probably start playing 3-400 point games once the wave 1 expansions launch

the only problem with 400 points with just wave 1 stuff is that every army will likely have everything.

Just now, Klaxas said:

the only problem with 400 points with just wave 1 stuff is that every army will likely have everything.

I feel there is a good chance that at 200 points most armies will almost have everything but yeah 400 will be a stretch even with 3 core's worth of one faction and every expac for the same faction

400 is just for armada... I don't think this game will ever have tournament armies larger than 300.  I personally prefer smallish army sizes for more battles in less time, so I think 300 will be good after this game gets a wave 2.  200 might be okay, but we'll have to wait and see.

5 minutes ago, Willange said:

400 is just for armada... I don't think this game will ever have tournament armies larger than 300.  I personally prefer smallish army sizes for more battles in less time, so I think 300 will be good after this game gets a wave 2.  200 might be okay, but we'll have to wait and see.

The point that I was trying to get across (and mostly failed), was that a jump of 100+ points is certainly possible, if at the same time, they give you a large "centerpiece" model/unit that completely swallows those points alone.

A Colossal Monster, for example, rather than a unit of smaller Monsters, like Rune Golems. :D

That's what I was saying.  Armada went from 300 to 400, RWM will go from 200 to 300 (I hope).  But in the end, we can play whatever we want in our own game room.