Jump to content
Toqtamish

Expansions announced

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, costi said:

If they do a single-army box set, it should include all the dice, templates etc. necessary to play. Having to buy the core set only to ebay all the minis would really suck.

Then what do you think that would be a better choice ? Having a second core set? It would not be bad if we take the point of view of people who would be willingly waves 0 and 1 to only delve into the game with wave 3 and so on just to pick the elves or the uthuk.

Edited by Elrad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The dice are already standalone, they can do a rules pack with templates and basic cards and voilà. No need to get 2 factions if you only want one, no need to get extra templates if you already have them. 

It is massively common in miniature gaming 

Edited by Corto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Corto said:

The dice are already standalone, they can do a rules pack with templates and basic cards and voilà. No need to get 2 factions if you only want one, no need to get extra templates if you already have them. 

It is massively common in miniature gaming 

I was thinking about the same solution by the time I was writing my previous post. They could make a rules pack like you say :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be surprised if the rules weren't posted in the game's section of their website.  As for tokens and templates I'm willing to bet everyone and their mother that has a laser cutter will be making custom tokens and templates withing a month or two of launch. That only leave the core upgrades which could be included in the army box...so there will be ways to get around having to buy the core I suppose.  I know I'll probably be picking up some acrylic templates and tokens for this game..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jek said:

I would be surprised if the rules weren't posted in the game's section of their website.  As for tokens and templates I'm willing to bet everyone and their mother that has a laser cutter will be making custom tokens and templates withing a month or two of launch. That only leave the core upgrades which could be included in the army box...so there will be ways to get around having to buy the core I suppose.  I know I'll probably be picking up some acrylic templates and tokens for this game..

My mum and her laser cutting. It's like the new generation's knitting, let me tell you!

(No but really, I have access to a laser cutter at work. Totally going to make my own acrylic templates)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Torpid Rebel said:

My mum and her laser cutting. It's like the new generation's knitting, let me tell you!

(No but really, I have access to a laser cutter at work. Totally going to make my own acrylic templates)

Actually, my mom and dad have purchased a laser cutter in their retirement. I should definitely see about getting some tokens made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

laser cutter, acrylic templates... is there anyone here who can explain me three (simple?) things :

1) for the foreigner that I am : what do you mean by templates ? I have checked the translation but to be sure could you give examples of templates in this game ?

2) what's an acrylic template ?

3) How do you use a laser cutter to make custom templates, I mean... if we talk about making custom terrain tiles, you need to have the art already printed on your material (and what kind of cardboard would you use to make it ?)... ...

[talking nonsense/ON] Yeah I'm not used to manual working, my bad. I once tried to make custom 3D terrains with everything and nothing that was lying around but...no forget it, it brought to nothing [talking nonsense/OFF]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Elrad said:

laser cutter, acrylic templates... is there anyone here who can explain me three (simple?) things :

1) for the foreigner that I am : what do you mean by templates ? I have checked the translation but to be sure could you give examples of templates in this game ?

2) what's an acrylic template ?

3) How do you use a laser cutter to make custom templates, I mean... if we talk about making custom terrain tiles, you need to have the art already printed on your material (and what kind of cardboard would you use to make it ?)... ...

[talking nonsense/ON] Yeah I'm not used to manual working, my bad. I once tried to make custom 3D terrains with everything and nothing that was lying around but...no forget it, it brought to nothing [talking nonsense/OFF]

1) "Template" in this case refers to the pieces used to move the units. These straight and curved pieces of cardboard are known as templates in English. This is the word used for most flightpath systems, as far as I'm aware (X-Wing, D&D, Star Trek Attack Wing, etc.)

2) Acrylic is the material FFG uses for their prizes in most organized play kits. Instead of having cardboard templates for moving your units, they'll probably offer acrylic ones as prizes. Many third-party retailers will also produce acrylic movement templates. Acrylic is sturdier and more accurate than the cardboard ones -- plus, it looks great!

3) People will measure the templates and the angles to create their acrylic templates. In some cases, they may even contact FFG to get the exact dimensions, since the cardboard ones don't always cut exactly the right way. After you have the dimensions, you can create a shape for your laser cutter to cut.

EDIT: Here is an example of an acrylic sign my father cut out for me during my Ph.D. program:

WIN_20170207_08_34_25_Pro_zpsc1aaoaop.jp

Edited by Budgernaut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

1) "Template" in this case refers to the pieces used to move the units. These straight and curved pieces of cardboard are known as templates in English. This is the word used for most flightpath systems, as far as I'm aware (X-Wing, D&D, Star Trek Attack Wing, etc.)

2) Acrylic is the material FFG uses for their prizes in most organized play kits. Instead of having cardboard templates for moving your units, they'll probably offer acrylic ones as prizes. Many third-party retailers will also produce acrylic movement templates. Acrylic is sturdier and more accurate than the cardboard ones -- plus, it looks great!

3) People will measure the templates and the angles to create their acrylic templates. In some cases, they may even contact FFG to get the exact dimensions, since the cardboard ones don't always cut exactly the right way. After you have the dimensions, you can create a shape for your laser cutter to cut.

EDIT: Here is an example of an acrylic sign my father cut out for me during my Ph.D. program:

 

  Reveal hidden contents

WIN_20170207_08_34_25_Pro_zpsc1aaoaop.jp

 

To break it down even further:

1) A Template can be anything that sets that standard for how other things should be done. So yes, in this game we have "movement templates", but you can also have standard templates for buildings. You know when it looks like they've copy pasted all these new houses? That's because they're built from a standard template.

2) Acrylic is a type of hard plastic. It can be transparent and comes in many colours. Google "Xwing acrylic movement templates" to get an idea for the variety.

3)There's no need for artwork, in this version of the template, all that is required is the outer shape of the movement templates. Although fancy, army-themed artwork will undoubtedly become a thing on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is that there will be an elves vs uthuk "expansion" core set that has elves, uthuk, the non-faction specific upgrade cards that are in the human v undead set, and then faction specific cards to replace the faction specific ones in the human undead set...together with all dice, templates, etc. 

I just don't see FFG: (a) requiring everyone to buy humans and waiquar to get the templates and base cards, even if they want to play elves or uthuak, or (b) selling the cardboard tokens/cards/templates/terrain, etc. in a pack that isn't in a "game" format.  

Given all we know (GenCon models/product codes/release poster/Kari card/first wave of expansions), I would be pretty surprised if the release schedule doesn't look something very similar to this:

Q1 - Core Set Humans v Waiquar
Q2 - Human/Undead Command (new) / Calvary/Archers (in core)
Q3 - Voresh/Hawthorne (new) / Human/Undead Infantry (in core)
Q4 - Core Set Elves v Uthuk (new) /  Golem/Carrion Lancer (in core) 

After that, my guess is that they fill in Elves and Uthuk in a similar release schedule as the first core expansions and add new stuff that fills in obvious gaps like Daqan Calvary command, etc.

Edited by Oloh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Oloh said:

My guess is that there will be an elves vs uthuk "expansion" core set that has elves, uthuk, the non-faction specific upgrade cards that are in the human v undead set, and then faction specific cards to replace the faction specific ones in the human undead set...together with all dice, templates, etc. 

I just don't see FFG: (a) requiring everyone to buy humans and waiquar to get the templates and base cards, even if they want to play elves or uthuak, or (b) selling the cardboard tokens/cards/templates/terrain, etc. in a pack that isn't in a "game" format.  

Given all we know (GenCon models/product codes/release poster/Kari card/first wave of expansions), I would be pretty surprised if the release schedule doesn't look something very similar to this:

Q1 - Core Set Humans v Waiquar
Q2 - Human/Undead Command (new) / Calvary/Archers (in core)
Q3 - Voresh/Hawthorne (new) / Human/Undead Infantry (in core)
Q4 - Core Set Elves v Uthuk (new) /  Golem/Carrion Lancer (in core) 

After that, my guess is that they fill in Elves and Uthuk in a similar release schedule as the first core expansions and add new stuff that fills in obvious gaps like Daqan Calvary command, etc.

I'm hoping in a future news post they show that the other core items will be releasing in Q2 wih the cav/archer/command.  it would be disappointing, though not deal breaking, if they held off on dropping the golems/landers til Q4 but I suppose we will see...just holding out hope this follows armada's launch release style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2017 at 7:59 AM, jek said:

I would be surprised if the rules weren't posted in the game's section of their website.  As for tokens and templates I'm willing to bet everyone and their mother that has a laser cutter will be making custom tokens and templates withing a month or two of launch. That only leave the core upgrades which could be included in the army box...so there will be ways to get around having to buy the core I suppose.  I know I'll probably be picking up some acrylic templates and tokens for this game..

What about Morale cards? Objective/Deployment cards?

Those will almost certainly just be in the core, like they are for Armada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tvayumat said:

What about Morale cards? Objective/Deployment cards?

Those will almost certainly just be in the core, like they are for Armada.

My hope was that those would be included in the army box though I honestly forgot about the damageesque morale deck...maybe then a second core a la x-wing the force awakens starter? it just seems like it would be really early in the game to drop a second core set...dunno

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possibly each army box contain about half a pack's worth of new morale cards - with a symbol showing the pack this comes from. That way you can have a full deck by shuffling together 2 half packs, or you can supplement your base deck with half a pack etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...