Toqtamish

Expansions announced

@Julia Hmm. Now I wonder whether the distributor price dropped in those instances. If not, then the complaining is really only hurting the retailers and not affecting FFG. It all depends on profit margins. If the MSRP is lower, but not the distribution price, FFG makes the same amount of money but the retailer makes less.

5 hours ago, Elrad said:

Hum... guys, we are in a light fantasy minis game, here, not in a representation of a 17th century clash during Louis XIV's wars. The point of historical accuracy is here a bit irrelevant, no ? I'm not gonna buy and play this game for its realistic aspect, just to have fun.

I kind of admire your interest in real armies equipments and paintings but as an historian, I never felt interested by military aspects, or at least not the so technical ones. But I understand the need for some realism in such a game. We'll see how it really works once in hands. 

Normally you talk a lot of weird stuff, Elrad, but I find myself agreeing with you here. Not only is this game quite clearly NOT realistic, and so talk of armpit and exposed flesh is ludicrous, but these are abstract numbers in a game system that is streamlined for playability and enjoyment, not realistic combat. Just saying, it might have gone a touch far :P

2 hours ago, Torpid Rebel said:

Normally you talk a lot of weird stuff, Elrad, but I find myself agreeing with you here.

Maybe because, this time, I write about things I know about ? Jeez I will just to shut my big mouth up and waiting to have something clear to tell and for the good moment to say it then :) It will then look less than an "Elrad's mass flooding operation".

9 hours ago, Elrad said:

Hum... guys, we are in a light fantasy minis game, here, not in a representation of a 17th century clash during Louis XIV's wars. The point of historical accuracy is here a bit irrelevant, no ? I'm not gonna buy and play this game for its realistic aspect, just to have fun.

I kind of admire your interest in real armies equipments and paintings but as an historian, I never felt interested by military aspects, or at least not the so technical ones. But I understand the need for some realism in such a game. We'll see how it really works once in hands. 

There has been one single solitary reference to historic accuracy, and it was in the context of "obviously nothing here is historically accurate because that would be insane".

I'm sorry if less than a handful of posts discussing practical justifications for in-game numbers derailed you so significantly, though.

4 hours ago, Torpid Rebel said:

Normally you talk a lot of weird stuff, Elrad, but I find myself agreeing with you here. Not only is this game quite clearly NOT realistic, and so talk of armpit and exposed flesh is ludicrous, but these are abstract numbers in a game system that is streamlined for playability and enjoyment, not realistic combat. Just saying, it might have gone a touch far :P

"Talk of armpit and exposed flesh" was, in fact, one point on a list of reasons that armored humans and skeletons should have roughly the same toughness stats, and yes, *some* people like to discuss these things and yes, believe it or not, we grasp the concept of abstracted numbers, what with playing far more of these games than is healthy for mind or wallet.

As before, I'm sorry if less than a handful of posts distracted you so.

Edited by Tvayumat

26 minutes ago, Tvayumat said:

"Talk of armpit and exposed flesh" was, in fact, one point on a list of reasons that armored humans and skeletons should have roughly the same toughness stats, and yes, *some* people like to discuss these things and yes, believe it or not, we grasp the concept of abstracted numbers, what with playing far more of these games than is healthy for mind or wallet.

As before, I'm sorry if less than a handful of posts distracted you so.

Thanks for the sarcasm. Anyway, we were already so far off the original topic, there was nothing to be distracted from :)

Elrad,

I don't know any real details about their internal policy, nor about their marketing strategies. But I've read a lot of articles, and listened to a lot of podcasts and debates about FFG's last year and a half of activities, and what seems to be happening is what I posted about: price raise, lower content / price ratio, lower quality in the rulebooks. Maybe I'm absolutely wrong, but clues lead in this direction, and evidence tells me I can't find their games at any decent price in my country (and by that I mean that Wave 1 of expansions for Runebound in my country was priced around 37 EUR a piece on Amazon). This thing annoys me a lot, and it's driving me away from some of the lines I'd have followed otherwise.

Also, as a customer, I'm annoyed that some lines were abandoned without a word being said: I'm not expecting them to produce games that don't sell, but at least that they tell their fanbase "hey, this line ends here (for now / forever), and we're sorry but we can't go on" (e.g: BattleLore: is the series dead? Alive? Nobody has decided yet? Another game: Arkham Horror? In production, but still expandable? And so on). Transparency and respect: these I'd love to see and feel.

All right, I guess I went too far myself so let's give proper answers instead of talking weird stuff !

@Tvayumat and the others : I'm not derailed or intimidated or anything. i was wondering why this conversation of yours had begun and where it would lead in the end, my (bad) intervention was no way to interfere nor interrupt you in this. Historical accuracy is good to be dealt with (even though I'm myself disgusted by History for now on... just personal matter), but I thought it would maybe be to much... or... OK never mind, and excuse me for talking nonsense again.

@Julia Thank you again for your interesting post and keeping yourself informed is a very good thing I should do myself but I know I wouldn't last long before dropping off. I agree with the annoyance that is this lack of communication. As I mentioned way earlier and in another topic of this very forum, I haven't seen any FFG  staff member posting on the forums (but as mentioned earlier, I don't read every single forum here and just specific ones and still every once in a while when a game is about to be released or when I delve into a game I haven't played for a while. but not a regular user). They should improve their communication on the website. So yes, let's hope that they won't make a "miss" with this game and that the fun will be there, and well, it looks like it will be there :). Thanks for your intervention again.

So there I am. Hope it helped to clarify everything, have fun everyone :)

Edited by Elrad

1 hour ago, Elrad said:

till every once in a while when a game is about to be released or when I delve into a game I haven't played for a while. but not a regular user). They should improve their comm

I wish you're right Davide :)

48 minutes ago, DavideChaosLord said:

Battlelore can NOT be DEAD!

Why? Just a simple single reason:

it's a masterpiece!

I am sure the battlelore's elves will arrive together with their Runewars' cousins ;) to close the circle!

I'm pretty sure the Elves will come after Runewars takes off as well. They haven't stated that Battlelore won't receive anymore support.

4 hours ago, Muz333 said:

I'm pretty sure the Elves will come after Runewars takes off as well. They haven't stated that Battlelore won't receive anymore support.

I still wonder how they are going to handle a new faction's release. I don't mind individual releases but I'd want some sort of 'starter' box. The only similar box I can think of might be the Scum box with the new Z95s and Y Wing, but around $50~60 pending on what's included.

8 hours ago, Kubernes said:

I still wonder how they are going to handle a new faction's release. I don't mind individual releases but I'd want some sort of 'starter' box.

I think we'll see a starter set for the new factions as it's how things are usually done in wargames.

Actually, I ask myself how they will expand the roster of units for each races. I know it's still looking too far int he future, but still. As I can be fan of nearly any faction (except the ugly looking ones like Nurgle in WFB and W40K), here I'm curious about what Atari elves will look like and how FFg plans on allowing multi races armies (remember that I'm not a mini gamer). i was thinking about how they did with Netrunner but in a resized proportion to fit with the realities of Runewars.

For me, the ideal way to add the next two factions would be to have a new core set, like Obscene mentioned. A new core would give existing players a backup set of templates and dice, comparable armies to the first core, and would be extremely cost-effective. Given all of that, I fully expect them to release single-army starter boxes instead.

Regarding new terrain in an Uthuk/Latari core, it could be neat. I wonder how it would work with the terrain deck during tournaments. Would both players bring a terrain deck?

7 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

For me, the ideal way to add the next two factions would be to have a new core set, like Obscene mentioned. A new core would give existing players a backup set of templates and dice, comparable armies to the first core, and would be extremely cost-effective. Given all of that, I fully expect them to release single-army starter boxes instead.

Regarding new terrain in an Uthuk/Latari core, it could be neat. I wonder how it would work with the terrain deck during tournaments. Would both players bring a terrain deck?

The more I think about the two new factions the more it makes me hope they do a core set similar to x-wing, I would not be upset about the army box but it would be cool to see another faction(maybe the elves have different template options to showcase the heightened agility?)

1 hour ago, jek said:

maybe the elves have different template options to showcase the heightened agility?

They will surely use the same template, however, I'd expect their manoeuvres to have a lower initiative and perhaps no movement penalty for wheeled marches. I just hope each faction feels sufficiently different when they all have access to similar units (archers, infantry, cavalry, siege units).

Edited by Muz333

different templates might have been the wrong term...possibly an additional template for a faster turn or something, though with out seeing the standard templates this could already be present in the box...

To me, the BattleLore factions feel quite different, even though they all have infantry, archer, elite, and legend units, as well as casters introduced in the expansions (though casters and archers are still technically infantry in that game). What's more, archers all have the same stats. It's the unit abilities that make them stand out. In BattleLore, you also have lore cards and unique scenarios to help define a faction's identity.

Given that units in Runewars will have different movement, initiative, abilities, and upgrades, I'm confident the factions will feel distinct from one another.

Edited by Budgernaut
Can't type accurately on mobile

Core boxes make sense at the start because you can't start without 2 factions but for new armies people will complain having to buy 2 when they only want one. Army boxes make more sense with a nice little starting force for a single army

I would definitely prefer that method and they could easily make the army box a 1 player starter box for around 50-60 with half and army or a full basic army comparable to a double core army for 100, then include templates tokens and dice...either way I'll probably be getting Uthuk when they come out...they look cool.

When both solutions could be interesting, I think that a second core set in the continuity of this first edition of the game (who knows where it will go if it is a success ? who knows ?) would be kind of a non sense. An army box is, indeed, the only logic solution. Let's put this like that : a second core set will bring duplicate game materials that will be pretty repetitions of the first core set. Do you see them upgrading game materials in a second core set concerning rules ? I mean would they make new rules to go with the second core set, knowing that peoples who only have bought the first core set won't be on equal level with the owners of the second core set because of rules change ?

So if we delete the option of making new rules that have not appeared in wave 0 and 1, what's left ? new terrains, new minis and new cards (but those cards being attached to their factions, it's irrelevant to insist on this) and that's it, no ? Maybe specific templates for specific unit types ? Don't know. An army box however... with thematic terrains for each ones ("And everyone will go live in the trees and become best friends with birds and go play all day long with Chip and Dale.... .... oh wait i've gone too far already :P) and maybe specific rules to each factions.