Toqtamish

Expansions announced

$30 retail, can probably get them around $26, it's not bad except for the support units. Maybe the support units come with lots of extra stuff? Alternate flags, that sort of thing? Fingers crossed.

I imagine the core is priced the way it is to suck people in, bit of a loss leader to drum up future sales. Definitely makes sense to buy two cores now. Especially if new infantry packs won't be out til September or thereabouts. 

Games will get really expensive if you want to go above tournament legal army sizes. Bit unfortunate. A full squad of infantry plus a support unit would run about the same as the cost of what we're guessing will be a full sized tournament legal army. I see no epic siege scenarios in my future. 

The cavalry and archers will certainly retail for $30 but will be on sale as often as some of the earlier Armada stuff is. That's easily 50% off or more several times a year. That being said, the character packs just seem a bit expensive compared to buying other FFG games. Those upgrades better be made of gold pressed latinum.

Still cheaper than GW.

I know it seems strange to pay $30 for 4 command figures and $30 for 8 archers, but if I'm not mistaken, you have only 2 molds to make the archer pack and 4 different molds to make the command pack. New molds cost a lot to make, so I am starting to see why there is a cost discrepancy. And even if I miscounted and there are 4 molds forthe Skeleton Archers, those can be cheaper because they're using the same mold for two products (core + Skeleton Archer expansion). 

Now, to those who keep trying to remind us of the trays, I'm not buying it. Nobody talks about the cost of bases in X-Wing or Armada. And like those games, once they have the bases made, they can reuse them for many future figures. 

For the command unit I say it's too early to presume anything on its worth...but I do agree with budgernaut

28 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

Now, to those who keep trying to remind us of the trays, I'm not buying it. Nobody talks about the cost of bases in X-Wing or Armada. And like those games, once they have the bases made, they can reuse them for many future figures. 

The trays are cool and I'm happy (as noted in several posts) that they are included, however they can't be seen as an addition or something of add value compared to similarly priced boosters. 

My guesses:

RWM01           Core Set (Daqan / Waiqar)
RWM02           Dice Pack

RWM03           Oathsworn Cavalry 
RWM04          
[Spearmen]
RWM05           Daqan Command
RWM06          
[Rune Golem]
RWM07           [Mounted and Unmounted Hero shown at GenCon]

RWM08           Reanimate Archers 
RWM09          
[Reanimates]
RWM10           Waiqar Command  
RWM11          
[Carrion Rider]
RWM12           [Mounted and Unmounted Hero shown at GenCon]

Another thing to think of is how much content the core game actually will be. I keep seeing the same thing a lot along the lines of "Oh you'll need 2 core sets/all expansions/whatever else for the full experience" but we really have no idea how much replay that core set will be. With the objectives system and the armies given I feel could play  a good amount of games. Throwing 60$ to expand both armies (assuming just the 2 command groups) might seem a bit steep but maybe there is already enough game in core that these truly will be "expansions."

I'm still in on this game for sure, and we'll see how much "keeping current" will be, but depending on how you play, you may not need to go so hard as to buy every expansion pack. There are a lot of comparisons to Warhammer, and for obvious reasons, but core set 40k (I started in 3rd edition) has always been "here are 2 armies and some rules, do whatever." This looks like its giving us a system along with the armies, so a direct compare to GW may not be the best perspective.

I'd say definitely speak with your wallet by holding off on expansions if you don't feel it's worth it after playing core, but don't worry too much about having it all.

Edited by Carbini

33 minutes ago, Tekwych said:

Weather you or I see them as an additional value doesn't matter. They are still an additional cost to FFG that must be paid for.

But like I said, there are bases in X-Wing and Armada, so any comparisons to those games can basically ignore the bases altogether since both lines of products have them. If we're comparing them to Imperial Assault, sure, I suppose you can consider them.

Lost me with this sorry, I have a metric ton of FFG content and don't mind spending money, but this is pushing it and not what I initially got into FFG for.

Game looks fine, this monetization approach looks to lack value and puts me off the intial investment. This is why I dropped GW and went with FFG in first place.

Bases are mandatory in this game, so an argument of "yeah, the price is steep, but there are bases in the box and they don't come free" is ridiculous. It's not a vanity item, it's an element that is mandatory to use the minis in the game. And it doesn't look like these will be interchangeable between units the way X-Wing and Armada ones are, here the minis will be fixed to the base permanently.

What I find odd is that the command packs are a single base. The game does not allow formations of any size, so including them will be quite a hassle, as there will always be a base missing, unless FFG expects us to buy more packs than we need just to be able to actually field a full unit.

The expansion price has definitely cooled my enthusiasm, and I don't buy the "still cheaper than GW" argument - it is still more expensive than X-Wing and Infinity.

2 coresets or trading with a pal is the definite way to go. Combine the 8 trays of infantry is the only way to play the command upgrades at the 9x9 formation currently.
Game is actually pretty cheap compared to the biggest leaders in the market.

The command formations are based off the cost of unique sculpts, molds, and the amount of times it will be bought. I've been in the hobby for a while, you see select purchases get a higher price tag for that reason. The other models at 4 dollars a piece, with the Calvary costing more, but in leading competitors Calvary can easily cost 60 to 100 dollars a pack. 

8 hours ago, Julia said:

True that, but RuneWars hasn't gotten the Darth Mouse logo on it, and they don't have to pay license and stuff to produce whatever they want. Also, IA core set / expansions (not talking of the ally and villain packs) grant you countless hours of fun. I spend 60 bucks on Return to Hoth, for example, and I play campaigns for several months. Here I spend 60 dollars and I get 12-16 minis that slightly expand my army. So, for me it's a "no, thanks"

Thank you for your intervention Julia but let me focus on one thing : IA has been built on the model of Descent II and both games are definitely build around two aspects : the campaign with a fairly strong scenario and the skirmish mode. Of course the design offers ton of hours of replay value. I love Descent II for that part too. Whit the App released, I went to fully  adore the game (lack of players around me). AI did had the same impact but... well I've my Star Wars moments and then not anymore. To be honest, I'm not a true fan of Science-Fiction. And moreover, AI and Descent are played on "boards" with a grid so it does help (and often doesn't) to see the universe we're playing in. Here, basically, we have terrain templates. I'm not talking about the players who will put their 3D terrains on the table, just the content of the box.

But back to our sheeps (I know it's a transliterated french expression, dunno if it does exist in English), We don't know if there will be a campaign in Runewars.. If we know that yes, we'll see what it does clearly involve. And yes, every unit pack in IA and Descent do include a scenario folder but we still have to know a lot more details about the business model of Runewars that for me, now, the only big flaw is the cost of the expansions whether we agree that they had no choice to do so regarding the production costs or the will to make money. I guess. Not sure anymore of what to think honestly...

Edited by Elrad

Elrad,

I take your point :) I was just comparing the two models and the type of commitment needed.

As for the campaign in Runewars... I think it's very likely we'll see one. It really depends on how well will the Corelian Conflict campaign for Armada sell, I guess; but there are common patterns between different games. Descent has gotten an app, and now Imperial Assault will have one (announced at GenCon 2017); Armada has gotten a campaign, so... And I imagine the RuneWars experience will be a testing arena for a SW miniature game allowing to simulate huge battles on land (they pay license and they have two games set in space, but no infantry conflicts? Just imagine the mini of an AT-ST how many copies will sell).

Even if I won't be following the line, I'm more than happy to watch the natural development of the events :)

An undeniable fact is that I was really excited about the game, but after this news update I strongly doubt if I should be even getting the core set. And it seems I'm not alone in this.
One of the draws for me was the hobby aspect with the belief that FFG would also make it a really nice gaming experience. For this price, the miniatures will have to be REALLY good to even have me buy the core-set. No preorder for me.  

Edited by Vascopinto

So looking at the core set you've got the following units, and points costs (keeping in mind a full army is 200 points):

Format: Unit/Trays/Points cost

Kari 1 32
Rune Golem 1 13
Cavalry 2 20
Spearmen 4 30

Ardus 1 37
Archers 2 18
Carrion Lancer 1 15
Reanimates 4 26

95 points for Daqan, 96 for undead + any upgrade cards that come in the core. 

Assuming that the Rune Golem and Carrion Lancers packs will be 2 trays for $30 also - replicating the core set units (and therefore getting to a full army) would cost around $240. 

Now I know you'd just buy a 2nd core instead, and that you'll need the unit upgrade packs and upgrade cards themselves will take up points too. But also note that there will certainly be upgrade cards you'll want in all the packs. 

I'm just trying to get a sense of how much a 'typical army' might cost going forward. 

Edited by jonboyjon1990

Further, it seems that FFG are very much marketing the game as 'pick one faction and run with it' which is fine - and certainly appeals to me.

Then again the core set kind of contradicts that... 

What doesn't appeal to me, is having to wait a long time for the faction you want to be released, and also having to buy a core set containing (potentially) two armies that you don't want...

Judging by all of FFG's other games it seems unlikely that the templates, terrain, tokens etc will become available separately...

I have to agree that the price has cooled me on the game. The minis are your standard fantasy types, nothing special about the sculpt, no extra bits to change them up, and the quality and detail is not as good as GW (in my opinion). 

I was willing to look past the dull minis and give this game a shot, figuring the more interesting stuff would come around later, but not with such a high entry price. 

4 hours ago, maul said:

Imperial assault 1 figure and cards 10 $
X-wing 1figure and letters 15 $
The expansions are not bad 8 archers and 4 knights with their mounts are 8 figures more cards although the group of command would have lowered the price to 15 or 20 $

--- http://heroesdeterrinoth.blogspot.com.es/ Blog in Spanish RuneWars ---

But it's not 8 archers or 4 knights - it's 2 bases, which is the smallest possible unit you can field. 

5 hours ago, costi said:

...here the minis will be fixed to the base permanently.

No? You can't affix them permanently as trays lose soldiers as squads take damage.

@costiYeah, we're stuck between players wanting to pay per piece and the manufacturer wanting to sell by plastic and molds. In most cases it evens out, but here I feel a greater discrepancy. I keep reminding myself I spent an average of $30 per unit to get all of my bounty hunters in X-Wing, but it just feels different here because the units feel like a smaller part of my army.

Edited by Budgernaut