Toqtamish

Expansions announced

4 minutes ago, maxam said:

Given they're not releasing infantry expansions, I can only hope that it is assumed you will not need many units in general for a standard game... *sigh*

The coreset contains about half an army each. Once you start adding in upgrades it won't take many blisters, perhaps one of each, to get a full army. However if you want enough variety to try out different tactics then it of course gets more expensive.

6 minutes ago, Muz333 said:

Curious why infantry blister packs weren't announced. Assuming the core set has one unit of cavalry/archers, one unit of spearmen/undead, one unit of Rune Golem/Carrion Lancer and one hero I'd extrapolate that the blister packs for infantry will contain 16 figures each.

Edit:

The mounted and unmounted leaders from Gencon weren't announced either.

I found that odd as well.  Which again reinforces my confusion on whether I'll need 2 cores or not.

Dear Maxam,

I understand your point of view.. but let see how much will cost a foot skeleton unit  ( i hope 12 skeleton for 30 dollars)

And above all let see the cost of undead wyvern (it will come out for sure) so we will compare with the prices of GW

I really really hope FFG doesn't reach the expensivity of GW 

Have no words.. and sorry for my bad english.

7 minutes ago, Iceeagle85 said:

Thanks.

The unitboxes are the minimal size for those units? Do you think a Golem or Carrion Lancer will be 29,95$ or more?

I made a mistake earlier, it's actually two units of cavalry and archers in the blister packs. Which makes it a little bit more palatable. In fact, if they have starter packs for the Uthuk Y'llan and Latari Elves I may just get a starter for each.

Edit:

As for the four missing catalogue numbers they must be the infantry and large units for each faction.

Edited by Muz333

10 minutes ago, maxam said:

Hey DavideChaosLord,

I'm not particularly happy with the pricing, just trying to think of possible reasons for pricing a box of 4 minis at the same price as a box of 10.

It's 8 guys actually.  Nitpicker alert! :)

Edited by TheBoulder

12 minutes ago, maxam said:

Hey DavideChaosLord,

I'm not particularly happy with the pricing, just trying to think of possible reasons for pricing a box of 4 minis at the same price as a box of 10.

Again, don't forget to factor in the tray that comes with each set.

3 minutes ago, Muz333 said:

I made a msitake earlier, it's actually two units of cavalry and archers in the blister packs. Which makes it a little bit more palatable. In fact, if they have starter packs for the Uthuk Y'llan and Latari Elves I may just get a starter for each.

hum you did make another one (mistake) : the blister with oathsworn cavalry only contains 4 mounted knights, so one array and the archer skeletons expansion provide two full arrays of this unit (so 2x 4 skeletons). So yeah I'm a bit on the fence, I'm still in to spend 200€ (oh yes they won't apply any real conversion, 100$=100€, the magic of monetary policies :D) for extra "big units", game material, manuals and tokens and obtaining more minis than paying 160€/$ for less and a bunch of new cards... well

7 minutes ago, Elrad said:

hum you did make another one (mistake) : the blister with oathsworn cavalry only contains 4 mounted knights, so one array and the archer skeletons expansion provide two full arrays of this unit (so 2x 4 skeletons). So yeah I'm a bit on the fence, I'm still in to spend 200€ (oh yes they won't apply any real conversion, 100$=100€, the magic of monetary policies :D) for extra "big units", game material, manuals and tokens and obtaining more minis than paying 160€/$ for less and a bunch of new cards... well

The cavalry are two to a base/unit. That's what I made the mistake of earlier thinking it was four to a base.

Depending on how long it is for the other factions I may buy two core sets then a couple of blisters. That way you at least get a set of movement templates and dice per player!

Edited by Muz333

I need to see how these are in person and what other things are in store for this game before I will commit. The price might just be right for this though it seems high atm. Are they going to have a campaign/missions book for this? What else to set this apart from other fantasy tabletop games? Just so much I need to see before I can say yes or no on this.

On a seperate note, I pick up everything from Imperial Assault and X-Wing because 1) They are just so **** sexy, heh :P and 2) I get a huge stretch value for my money as I use them for my Star Wars RPG games as well.

6 minutes ago, The Black Man said:

Are they going to have a campaign/missions book for this? What else to set this apart from other fantasy tabletop games? 

The skirmishes have objectives so it isn't just a flat out kill the opposing unit. Each quarter the tournament will feature a brand new scenario as well.

Edit:

Looking at the price of the $15 Stormtrooper packs for Imperial Assault and what they cost here I guess it will work out £21 a pack in the UK, with the usual bulk discounts on retail orders to bring it down. I guess it isn't as bad as I first thought, now I just hope it comes out already! It also helps that the big units (Rune Golems and Carrion Lancers) can only be assembled in formations as large as 6 units.

Edited by Muz333

50 minutes ago, Elrad said:

Do you think so ? Could you maybe elaborate on this statement of yours please ? Thanks:)

Sure! lets break some stuff down! here is a quick 75 point list from Warmachine. It uses half of there 2 player box set.  That is what the blue is, half of a $90 box set...

System: Warmachine
Faction: Cygnar
Caster: 1 / 1

Maddox1 (Major Beth Maddox) -30 $45
- Ironclad 12
- Lancer 10
- Firefly 8
- Squire 5
Stormguard (Leader and 9) 15
Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team 10 21.99
Trencher Infantry (Leader and 9) 16 49.99 
- Trencher Infantry Officer & Sniper 5 12.99
Long Gunner Infantry (Leader and 9) 18 49.99
Captain Maxwell Finn 6 12.99

Total 192.95

Rune wars I'm hoping 200 pts is roughly equivalent.
Half a starter set is 50 here, and you get

Daqaan

17 Rune Golem 1x1

20 Calvary 1X2

30 Spearmen 2x2

32 Kar

Thats 99 points, lets bump that up with a second starter and why not a unit of cavalry expansion, so we are at 130 

I would say it would make sense to build the army now as 

2x1 golem 28pts

2x3 Cav 66pts

2x2 Spearmen 30pts

2x2 Spearmen 30pts

this puts us at 186/200

with the upgrade cards for your army I would say that you could easily fill out the last 14 points with what is included and stay under the almost 200 dollar point in the Warmachine model. But if not you could throw in the command group go up to 160 and probably have infinitely more flexibility or NOT buy the cav and just use the command and their 14 upgrade cards to make an army.  Sorry if this is confusing or weird I did this pretty quick and had to pull the info from other posts for RW pt costs...  If I did a GW post it would have been even easier as my Cygnar choices were a cheaper pick of PP's models.

15 minutes ago, jek said:

with the upgrade cards for your army I would say that you could easily fill out the last 14 points with what is included and stay under the almost 200 dollar point in the Warmachine model. But if not you could throw in the command group go up to 160 and probably have infinitely more flexibility or NOT buy the cav and just use the command and their 14 upgrade cards to make an army.  Sorry if this is confusing or weird I did this pretty quick and had to pull the info from other posts for RW pt costs...  If I did a GW post it would have been even easier as my Cygnar choices were a cheaper pick of PP's models.

A bit confusing to me when you list the armies lists because not so used to it and can't properly figure where you put the quantity of units in front of their points value but that's detail. Thanks for answering anyway it is quite helpful to have a comparison like this. I think that my entry point in this game will be nearly settled once the rules are online. Before that, I can speculate and we can discuss it all over again and again I guess.

To me, I think going with two core sets and then jump on the command units to reinforce the already formed infantry units doesn't seem like throwing money through the window. the only clear toss for me is the unique heroes but they are still useful if one of them has to accidentally fall in my beloved dog's teeth :D

1 hour ago, MegaSilver said:

Guys, you have to consider the trays in this cost. Its actually not that far off from Imperial Assault costs. 

True that, but RuneWars hasn't gotten the Darth Mouse logo on it, and they don't have to pay license and stuff to produce whatever they want. Also, IA core set / expansions (not talking of the ally and villain packs) grant you countless hours of fun. I spend 60 bucks on Return to Hoth, for example, and I play campaigns for several months. Here I spend 60 dollars and I get 12-16 minis that slightly expand my army. So, for me it's a "no, thanks"

43 minutes ago, Muz333 said:

I'm glad I can see duplicate upgrade cards in the two factions, as in they both have Fortunes Dice for example. Means we definitely don't need to buy out of faction packs just for that really useful upgrade card.

They've already said that won't be an issue in this game. 

2 minutes ago, Dosiere said:

I'll be fine with it as long as they don't expect me to buy these expansions for cards only, and especially out of faction for cards.

I literally just said that ffg has said the out of faction to buy upgrades won't be an issue in this game like it was in other games. 

These have been priced very carefully it seems - they are definitely premium products.

I wonder if the infantry will come in blocks of 4 (20 models) for $60. Hmmm.

Core seems to be insane value!