Toqtamish

Expansions announced

Dang... that price point is just ridiculous...

EDIT: TO clarify what I mean, look at the core.  The core comes with dice, manual(s), terrain, and lots of minis.  You get 26 undead minis (including a carrion lancer) for what one would presume is approximately (or a little less than) half the price of the box so let's say $50 bucks.  Then, they sell a blister of only 8 archers for $30.  So three of those is only 24 figures and $90.  I get that cores are better deals (in general) than blisters, but that's about twice as expensive which, for me, totally changes the amount of money I was imagining I'd have to spend to play this game.  I assume it would be more like $20 bucks for a blister like that based on the kind of increase we saw in armada and xwing.  I get that there are a few more upgrade cards in these blisters but cards cost beans compared to the plastic.  If I do get into this game at this price point, then I'll be getting at most 1 of the stuff I decide on for my army if I buy in at all.  It just really casts doubt on the whole thing for me.

EDIT 2: The second complaint I'd have about this (and we all saw this coming) is that these blisters won't even come out till 2nd quarter which will probably mean May or June, so I wouldn't have all that many tools to play with for the first 2-3 months which makes me think I should just wait till then to buy it so I can see specifically which upgrades are new in the blisters.  I assume they'll include new ones in the blisters because otherwise I'd just buy multiple cores for the much more reasonable price.  However, I will then still wish I had the blisters for the new cards, so there's really no winning.

Edited by Willange

This kinda shows why BattleLore was ended, I think. If these miniatures really cost enough to produce that they are marketing these expansions at $30 each, then the BattleLore army packs were a steal.

If I wanted to complete the entire set and buy everything I could ever run, then I think this price point is ridiculous. If I'm just going to focus on a single faction, I think I could make it work. Trouble is, I don't want to buy a Daqan/Waiqar core set when all I really want to lead into battle is an army of Uthuk Y'llan. This makes me hope for a second core instead of an Uthuk starter pack, but I don't think FFG has ever done that and don't expect them to in the future. Judging by the cost of the expansions, I'd say it's likely that a new faction's army, if built from expansions and not produced as a starter set, should cost around $120-$150. I'll have to ruminate on this.

35 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

Judging by the cost of the expansions, I'd say it's likely that a new faction's army, if built from expansions and not produced as a starter set, should cost around $120-$150. I'll have to ruminate on this.

Actually, assuming that double the core is a standard army... We'd be looking at something like: 

2x Skelly archers - $60

4x Skelly - $120

Plus double Worms and Characters... Which could be anything... But conservatively ~$50??  So we are $230 plus tax. 

For those of us in Canada, that's looking like $300 bucks for an army...  

That's rough numbers and I'd love to be proven wrong. 

It's really a question of how many of these things we need to buy.  If I have to buy one... It will grate a bit but I could do it.  If I have to buy 3+...

Edited by TheBoulder

And suddenly, everyone had a cold shower and the hype that could be felt in the air not so many hours ago has downed a little.

I am also on the fence now. I mean, when I compare to what Games Workshop does ask for their minis... I don't find the price as outrageous as some may find but there are in the average of what it is asked for such an offer.

I'm also asking myself a dummy question : how is it possible for 4 minis to cost 30$ ? And then 10 skeletons that cost the same price ? How in the hell is it possible ? Is it speculation or what ? Just because a unit is told to be more powerful, than its price has to rise up ? I don't understand it, honestly.

So, let's put it like this now : two core sets are less a toss than completing an army with boosters. While buying one of each boosters allows you to have any additional rules and card inserted in it... oh boy !

But what are the designing and production costs here ? Some are complaining about the quality of the minis but have we already seen final models ? Do we know really how it does look in their release versions ? More important who's the manufacturer ? Is the bill so heavy that 30$ the four tramps is the only way to not be in the red ?

I am a bit bitter but let's wait and see.

EDIT 1 : Well we won't see them before june-july so... maybe not before gencon so... let's keep focus on what we'll have at the beginning of the adventure ;)

Edited by Elrad

All I can say is I hope the miniatures are a good step above their current games and have a lot of alternate sculpts (so far it only looks like 2-3 per unit). I also might have to relook my plan to get an army in each faction and instead focus on just two to play the game.

Edit:

Which for me means waiting for Uthuk Y'llan as I expect $30 will quickly become £25 in the UK, or about 10 pints of warm fuzzy alcohol!

Edited by Muz333

9 minutes ago, Elrad said:

I'm also asking myself a dummy question : how is it possible for 4 minis to cost 30$ ? And then 10 skeletons that cost the same price ? How in the hell is it possible ? Is it speculation or what ? Just because a unit is told to be more powerful, than its price has to rise up ? I don't understand it, honestly.

There's only one rationalisation that springs to mind - economy of scale.

Looking at just the plastic miniatures part of the equation, and assuming that costs scale with quantity (in a similar way that printing costs do)

Let's assume that the four command minis are on one sprue. Let's also assume that the 10 skeletons are on two sprues of 5 each.

Now let's assume FFG expects that for every "command pack" sold, 3 "unit packs" are sold, and have packs produced at that ratio.

If there are 6 sprues of skeletons produced to every one command sprue, then the skeleton sprues should be costing significantly less to produce, making a pack of 10 skeletons price on par with a command pack.

4 minutes ago, MegaSilver said:

Guys, you have to consider the trays in this cost. Its actually not that far off from Imperial Assault costs. 

Ach, I'll still get it but I'll do so a little more begrudgingly now. I don't think I'll be able to afford or justify fielding a full unit of Rune Golems for example. If there was a big competition scene here and I could collect just a single faction I wouldn't have been too fussed.

I think it being similar to IA is a problem.

First, that is the Star Wars licence.  Huge draw.  People use the minis for all kinds of things.  This is a relatively unknown high fantasy IP that will not have the same pull.  Second, you just need less for IA and the purchases are therefore more varied.  When I buy three different things for IA, I get three different experiences.  When I buy three packs of the exact same skeleton archers and then have three copies of the same upgrades, etc, etc.  It's just not as sexy.  I think that will hurt sales.  I was totally excited about this and now I'm lukewarm and still cooling off.

7 minutes ago, Willange said:

Well I actually see MegaSilver's point about IA... and I did buy into that... still it woulda been auto-buy for me at $20

IA was priced on the number of models in a pack, you have 1 model packs, 2 model packs, 3 model packs and large model packs. What you don't get in IA is a pack with half the number of models costing the same price.

IA packs also come with missions.

Edited by mulletcheese

I can understand the sticker shock and I was also expecting a price-point for expansions to be in the $20-$25 range.

However...

I own 2 Warhammer Fantasy armies both worth $1000+ at retail value, and probably $1200 more in Space Marines. Not to mention hundreds of dollars of books that went obsolete every couple of years with each new edition including some $60 tomes that lasted about 2 years only.

X-Wing wise, the full retail value of a very common tournament list, Palpatine in a Lambda shuttle with two aces in TIE defenders cost me $279.55 at full retail prices. And that's for a squadron of 3 ships! (For those of you doing the math at home, that's a Core Set, Lambda expansion, Defender Expansion, Imperial Veterans expansion, TIE Punisher expansion (for Mk. II engine), A-Wing Expansion (for push the limit), TIE/sf expansion (for Collision Detector), TIE/fo expansion (for Juke), and last, but certainly not least, the Imperial Raider expansion (for Emperor Palpatine).

I have only the vaguest notion of what a large Runewars tournament army would be. But for the sake of comparison, let's say that in X-Wing, you could conceivably be tournament ready with 3x one of the factions that comes in the core box. That would be 3 X-Wings, or 6 TIE/fos, or maybe 3-4 TIE/fos + a TIE/sf. That would be pretty minimalistic though. If that ratio holds true for Runewars minis, then one of the factions in the core set would cost you maybe $90? 3x$90 is $270, so well within my expectations for a true table-top minis game.

Let me extend the comparison though to guess what a top tournament list could possibly cost, once we're a couple of years into the game and expansions.

My $279.55 X-Wing squad is about 7x the cost of a core set. 7x Runewars core set is about $700, retail. That's jaw dropping compared to X-Wing, but probably the minimum conceivable price-point for a similar, top-table tournament army for Warhammer Fantasy or 40k. 

Edited by Elliphino

Curious why infantry blister packs weren't announced. Assuming the core set has one unit of cavalry/archers, one unit of spearmen/undead, one unit of Rune Golem/Carrion Lancer and one hero I'd extrapolate that the blister packs for infantry will contain 16 figures each.

Edit:

The mounted and unmounted leaders from Gencon weren't announced either.

Edited by Muz333