DavideChaosLord

Plastic colors for each faction

I know a LOT of hobby painters hate it but I want to mention in regards the the Army Painter talks their three quickshade dips, they work surprisingly well for painting full armies with minimal time...

The dips are great but you really need to be outside and not near a building to use them correctly. You also need to use a dull-coat or anti-shine afterwards. By using a simple grey or an beige or light tan and then a Quickshade dip you can get a cell shade type look of a B&W comic. Nice for board game pieces like Zombiside, Walking Dead, or others were there are many 'filler' pieces to ho against your heroes.

The new Quickshade paints are dropper bottles and used like any other paint. Not as fast as the dips but you have more control, more choice of color, and more freedom of where and when you work.

20 minutes ago, jek said:

I know a LOT of hobby painters hate it but I want to mention in regards the the Army Painter talks their three quickshade dips, they work surprisingly well for painting full armies with minimal time...

If you hate painting, or never tried painting, and want Runewars to be your first where you give it a go, my suggestion after over a decade being a relatively hardcore painter is to buy the following from Army Painter:

1. The spray primer that is your color of choice (will likely be Ultramarine blue for Daqan or perhaps Alien Purple for undead).  Army painter will almost certainly release tutorials telling you what to get.

2. Buy 2-3 accent colors for the faction.  Barbarian Flesh (Daqan)/Skeleton Bone (Waiqar), Greedy Gold (Daqan)/Gun Metal (Waiqar), and maybe Angel Green for the Waiqar cloaks. 

3. A Regiment Brush to paint the colors above.

4. A can of Quickshade Dark Tone.  

Total cost of the above will be around $50 and will quickly give you: (1) a very decent paint job for the time/money invested, and (2) the baseline if you want to grow into more "serious" painting (i.e. that doesnt include dipping, but instead basescoating/washing/shading that takes more varied paints and a lot more time.  The method above will take you about 5 minutes per figure, tops for even a brand new novice painter.

I'm not affiliate with Army Painter in any way, but they have a really good set of products that are very beginner friendly (much more so than Citadel) but can also scale to a "master level."

29 minutes ago, Oloh said:

If you hate painting, or never tried painting, and want Runewars to be your first where you give it a go, my suggestion after over a decade being a relatively hardcore painter is to buy the following from Army Painter:

Or (like me) don't have the time to meticulously paint an entire army but still would like to play with a half way decent looking army.  I just use more than than three colors typically.

I, as well, am not with Army Painter. I use their line, Vallejo, a bit of P3 and some left over Citadel (Once you use dropper bottles to mix, it is hard to go back) I use some Army Painter brushes but Winsor & Newton is my primary (expensive though). I am also moving to airbrush for a lot of my work. Look to RC hobby stores, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and Model Train stores for tools and ideas/

I am hearing some rumors of Runewar Paint sets SKUs from Army Painter. Watch for announcements in March.

1 hour ago, Oloh said:

Or wait for Sorastro's inevitable Youtube tutorial series on it (he does Descent, Imperial Assault and a few others, plus he's showed interest in this game on the Youtube teaser).

27 minutes ago, Muz333 said:

Or wait for Sorastro's inevitable Youtube tutorial series on it (he does Descent, Imperial Assault and a few others, plus he's showed interest in this game on the Youtube teaser).

still doesn't help the no time to paint folks lol.

If you just want colour, spray 'em (+1 for army painter). If you want som detail quickshade or a wash. Want some more add a quick drybrush (google it). You may then find that you now want to do some more and then you should check out Sorastro. 

There is a techinque where you can quickly get detail using just two primers and spraying at an angle, but don't remember the name of it. 

The new edition of Warmachine has all the battlebox miniatures in different plastic colors for each faction. This is the same hard plastic as all their miniatures, not the soft kind you see in IA and Descent. Since you basecoat it anyway, it's east to paint over when you finally get around to it. I wouldn't mind seeing Runewars do something similar.