DavideChaosLord

Plastic colors for each faction

Hello folks,

I am an italian war gamer bur not a painter. So I don't want to paint anything and I hope that the plastic figure have different basic colours for each faction (blu daqan, red uthuk, violet undead, green elves) like Battlelore 2 ed.

Does someone know anything about it?

Buongiorno amico ;-)

I have already asked it elsewhere and it has been guessed (not officially answered) that they would have the minis to be full grey for Hobby purpose. I am not a patient painter myself and would have also liked to have them already basecoated in different colors so they are playable and recognizable without having to invest in colours and time...but let's wait for FFg to answer that.

Edited by Elrad

1 hour ago, King Cheesecake said:

I think Armypainter has spray paints for exactly this problem. Just put 'em in a row and spray paint 'em conveyor style.

Yes, in 24 colors and matched to their paint line if you want to go further.

It's cruddy outside so I'm not going to try it, but it occurs to me that you could probably get a halfway decent looking army by using black, a midtone, and a highlight tone and spraying the minis as though you were setting up light sources for a series of glazes.

It's only slightly more complicated than hitting them with one basecoat yet it would look pretty nice on the table.

Another benefit to doing a quick and dirty paint job is that you can use matte paints. If the minis were dyed they'd be high gloss and plasticy (for obvious reasons).  Even with just a single color, a matte finish on the minis is going to look pretty good. 

I wouldn't bother with Army Painter though. It's a good choice, but it sounds like you don't give a hoot about the paint job. I'd just go with whatever's cheap and readily available. Proper spray can technique will do 95% of the job for you. 

In one interview, I can't remember the source, FFG stated they hadn't decided yet. Although this was back in gencon and they've obviously made a decision since then.

My expectations would be for all models to be in the same colour to stick with what the wargaming crowd would expect.

5 hours ago, Muz333 said:

Although this was back in gencon and they've obviously made a decision since then.

Or not... They are still waiting for the hundreds boxes to arrive at the shipyard to take them, opening them, setting all the minis apart and offer them a painting shower hoping to have finished resorting everything and resealing every box for the release date... ... ... time to go to sleep I guess... :D

43 minutes ago, Taki said:

Alternate idea, they might go with the alignment system from Runewars the boardgame and make humans and elves one color, and uthuk and undying another

In my copy of Runewars (2nd Edition), each faction has a different colour. The Elves were green while the humans were blue.

23 minutes ago, Muz333 said:

In my copy of Runewars (2nd Edition), each faction has a different colour. The Elves were green while the humans were blue.

Yes, I know that, I was talking about the alignment system they used in that game, straight up white for good, black for evil, and it was used in the objectives and the heroes (who also had green for neutral).

If they don't want to get into 4 different colors of plastic, they could just go with 2, following the alignment system

28 minutes ago, Taki said:

Yes, I know that, I was talking about the alignment system they used in that game, straight up white for good, black for evil, and it was used in the objectives and the heroes (who also had green for neutral).

If they don't want to get into 4 different colors of plastic, they could just go with 2, following the alignment system

Ah, I understand what you're talking about now. It's always an option and I wouldn't be surprised no matter what decision FFG takes.

The nice thing about using black and white is that I think it's better for painting because you don't have to try so hard to cover it up, but I think colored plastic will be better for the boardgamer crowd.

Edited by Budgernaut

Black and White are extremes and can be difficult to cover. Light colors over black to dark colors over white could mean more coats or thicker coats of paint which might obscure detail on the miniature. Starting with a light, uniform grey gives you a base that is easy to build up from. The idea behind the The Army Painter spray primers is that you 'Prime' with the predominate color and save a layer, keeping more detail.

You should prime the figures with spray paint either way when you paint them as even the most basic hobbyiest, so I don't think it matters for painters whether or not the plastic is a different color.  If it matters for the boardgamers that don't want to paint the figures, but want some differentiation, I'd be all for it.

5 minutes ago, Oloh said:

You should prime the figures with spray paint either way when you paint them as even the most basic hobbyiest, so I don't think it matters for painters whether or not the plastic is a different color.  If it matters for the boardgamers that don't want to paint the figures, but want some differentiation, I'd be all for it.

Yeah, but when I primed my Runewars figures, their color still showed through. When I tried to go over with a second coat, it obscured the detail, so I just left them with a faint bit of color showing through. I've since switched to brush-on primer which i used for my Imperial Assault core set and loved it. For me, brush-on primer is by far superior to spray-on. But maybe I'm just bad at priming in general.

Edited by Budgernaut

1 minute ago, Budgernaut said:

Yeah, but when I primed my Runewars figures, their color still showed through. When I tried to go over with a second coat, it obscured the detail, so I just left them with a faint bit of color showing through. I've since switched to brush-on primer which i used for my Imperial Assault core set and loved it. For me, brush-on primer is by far superior to spray-on. But maybe I'm just bad at priming in general.

Can't recommend Army Painter products enough.  Their spray primers are top notch and have 100% color match with their standard warpaints.  I just bought the complete set of them in anticipation of Runewars after using Citadel paints for years and years.  I will never go back!  They are really really good.

20 minutes ago, Oloh said:

Can't recommend Army Painter products enough.  Their spray primers are top notch and have 100% color match with their standard warpaints.  I just bought the complete set of them in anticipation of Runewars after using Citadel paints for years and years.  I will never go back!  They are really really good.

Hum... there you got me interested, I will definitely take a look at Army Painter products then.

I'm a firm believer in Army Painter, especially as the type of person that likes having tabletop quality mini's but has very little time, the speed paint and dip method is great for me.

On spray primers - many include chemicals in them that will melt the plastics used in some miniatures. Also they use a larger molecule to make for better coverage on large surfaces. Hobby primers are formulated with smaller molecules and for the plastics used by the hobby industry

Army Painter has their Quick Shades, a version of Nuln Oil, Agrax Earthshade, Athonian Camoshade and such. The expanded line for 2017 has some great new colors if you want to avoid mixing your own tints and shades.

Priming in color, add the other base colors you want, Shade with one or more Quickshades then dry brush to create highlights and you have a basic figure. Add details to your desire and ability to really show off.

If you want to see the Army Painter style (how their primers, colors, shades, and technicals work together) and how easy it can be. Beasts Of War will have a Hobby Lab where the Pros from AP show you their techniques using Runewars miniatures on their web site on March 30-April 2. If you can get to North Ireland then you can learn in person. 170£ (US$200) gets you room and board, a copy of Runewars starter set and about 90£ of Army Painter product along with three days of instruction and gaming.