Although I recall the fluff stating a variant mounted "triple blasters", I kinda pictured them smaller. Those barrels put one in the mind of a Rotary AutoCannon from Dark Age era BTech/Mechwarrior.

Otherwise I dig the design.

Thanks all.

The original description of the Z-95 from Han Solo at Stars End from 1979 describes it as a twin engine swing wing fighter with triple wing mounted blasters, a bubble cockpit and a forked tail with fuselage missle pylons.. Laid out so that Han can chin himself up and look into the cockpit which has the pilot seat in a reclining position hence the long cockpit. When they put it into West End Games D6 system they just used a McQuarrie production design as the Z-95 without seeing if it matched the description.Which of course it didnt, Hence the single wing guns etc, and that became the Z-95.. Im not altogether happy with the blaster size but printability requires it. And the ARC-170 set a precedent for big under wing guns so i went that way rather that my original design which was more pod on the wingtip styles

Did you try it with the blaster clusters closer to the wing root at all ?

...also, the nose looks just a little too 'clean' somehow - maybe not have an ablative cone like the T-65, but how about some kind of radome 'hump' on the underside...just something to break the line/symmetry ? :unsure:

Since you talk about printability, are you likely to be making it available in some way ? ;)

[EDIT: Ah, sorry, forgot you have a shop...]

Edited by ianmiddy
Searching previous posts...

4 hours ago, Gosric said:

Thanks all.

The original description of the Z-95 from Han Solo at Stars End from 1979 describes it as a twin engine swing wing fighter with triple wing mounted blasters, a bubble cockpit and a forked tail with fuselage missle pylons.. Laid out so that Han can chin himself up and look into the cockpit which has the pilot seat in a reclining position hence the long cockpit. When they put it into West End Games D6 system they just used a McQuarrie production design as the Z-95 without seeing if it matched the description.Which of course it didnt, Hence the single wing guns etc, and that became the Z-95.. Im not altogether happy with the blaster size but printability requires it. And the ARC-170 set a precedent for big under wing guns so i went that way rather that my original design which was more pod on the wingtip styles

The original description goes for the Z-95mk1 and I'm glad WEG came up with the Z-95 we all know.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Z-95mk1_Headhunter

The swing wing variant has no official pictures.
This could depict one:
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/2/29/Fleet.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20060215030602

And this is a fans interpretation:
http://www.alfredsmind.ca/commissions/pics/z95mk1f.jpg

Didn't Mara Jades Z95 have an Astromech ?

or was it a Navi Computer.

I know she had an Uprated version in the...Err Legend Books would they now be ?

Regardless, its always nice to see another new Design of the old Z95.

Your Computer model looks great, 

Well done !

All the best, Barry.

The astromech one was an early refit design i did. seemed that there was no real reason they couldnt put one in especially once they retconned it as a precursor to the X Wing. It was an upgrade to a more space oriented fighter hence the removal of the forked tail. i wasnt absolutely sure about the smooth front. but my first attempt at designing the Z-95 as described (which was probably just Brian Daley thinking of an F-14) had the smooth nose and it sort of grew on me. Especilly since the clone wars era ships tended for the most part to be smoother. I had guns on the wing root before with plain wings and thought it looked pretty good but one of the design elements discussed in one of my research books mentioned the 'no regular aircraft wings' concept  as something in the SW design bible. Which admittedly they kind of ignored with the ARC. SO putting the guns on the wing tip solved that issue conveniently. I made a few versions of this one of which had plain wings and wing root guns and another with wing root guns and missiles on the wingtips and slightly different tail configs. I was sort of toying with making a three pack since the armaments would be fundamentally the same but they would be different enough for scum pirate fighters

16 hours ago, Gosric said:

Im not altogether happy with the blaster size but printability requires it. And the ARC-170 set a precedent for big under wing guns so i went that way rather that my original design which was more pod on the wingtip styles

I think I'd just print the pod, then drill it and glue in some more scale-apropos blasters, but honestly I've developed a severe greeble fetish lately, had to dial it back after my wife woke up and caught me supergluing tiny gears and wires to her forehead; 

which none of this is either here nor there as long as you're happy with it. :) , (aesthetic opinion  only, massive respect for the skill involved)

(bearing in mind I always took the term triple blaster to mean "anti-infantry" or "civilian grade" weaponry, if that makes sense.. like the mil-spec ships were kitted out with blaster cannons and since the Z was a civilian market product they tacked on a trio of low "caliber" blasters and called it a day... or they did so to keep prices down and provide some defense within the constraints of the ship's power supply, perhaps while not violating any prohibitions about "real" weapons on open market vessels.....  sorry, fan boi, could discuss this crap all night :) ) 

I really like the implication that the weapon pods mount through the wings and look as if they could potentially swivel.

Thanks. I might do a smaller weapon pod variant. Shouldnt be hard i could simply transpose the guns from the inboard mounted version. The pods would have to swivel to work ad the through the wing method seemed the most stable if i was doing something other that what inoriginally did.  Other modified pirate variant with smaller inboard guns and missiles on the wings 

z97variant2_zpsuvfili7y.jpg

Edited by Gosric

Just now, Gosric said:

Thanks. I might do a smaller weapon pod variant. Shouldnt be hard i could simply transpose the guns from the inboard mounted version. The pods would have to swivel to work ad the through the wing method seemed the most stable if i was doing something other that what inoriginally did.  Other variant with smaller inboard guns and missiles on the wings 

z97variant2_zpsuvfili7y.jpg

Alight... alright; you great big showboat you; NOW YOU NEED TO MAKE THESE CANNON AND MISSILE -TORP PODS AVAILABLE IN A CUTE BITS-PACK... NOW!!!

DONE YET?!

:D

19 minutes ago, Gosric said:

Would be interested to see how much packs of these might be in your shop :huh:

I tried making some alternative weapons and sensor mount pieces for the CR90 with my printer, but the mounting 'lugs' are really too small for FDM printing, as they tend to break apart under the twisting action to fasten on - hopefully WSF or FUD would stand up to mounting/removal better :unsure:

...and, of course, they'll showcase the detail better ;)

1 minute ago, ianmiddy said:

Would be interested to see how much packs of these might be in your shop :huh:

I tried making some alternative weapons and sensor mount pieces for the CR90 with my printer, but the mounting 'lugs' are really too small for FDM printing, as they tend to break apart under the twisting action to fasten on - hopefully WSF or FUD would stand up to mounting/removal better :unsure:

...and, of course, they'll showcase the detail better ;)

Never get cool little models like these in horrid WSF... YIPES!

Pay the extra few bucks to get FUD; The GOOD STUFF.