Sign in to follow this  
Hexdot

Gozanti and... Tie Strikers?

Thinking a little about my new love, Strikers. As we know it is not legal to equip a Gozanti with Tie Strikers. But there were no Strikers when it was released and Epic is about theme and mood not hardcore ruling.

I will try in a near future a big Epic Scenario involving low level action and two Gozantis loaded with Strikers. Give some use to those forgiven W40k hills and a pair of bonsais. My doubt is... Adaptive Ailerons.

Should this upgrade be available the turn they are deployed? Perhaps it is too good... I am quite conservative when field testing new ideas.  I love new elements but not too good or OP.

Before writing the Scenario I would apreciate your comments and suggestions. Do you think Strikers are viable with the Gozanti? Adaptive Ailerons while deploying or not?

And as allways I recomend you to try Epic a couple of times even if you are 100/6 players. Many ships that are quite mediocre in a 3 x 3 mat can be very fun to play during Epic Games

Edited by Hexdot

Sounds fun to me, the tie striker Flys like nothing else and since epic is all about fun, sounds perfect to me. Plus they can punch pretty good so I imagine 8 of them can really lay down some heat with two gozanties

Edited by TheOz

Interesting idea.  If you could dock Strikers I don't think you could use Adaptive Ailerons when deploying as that card is immediately before you reveal your dial.  When undocking you choose a manoeuvre from the dial.

Regardless of this could docking Strikers be completely over powered though?  You're offering a lot of protection to a 4 hull 2 agility ship.  How are you going to balance the mission?  As an imperial player I'd just keep them docked until I could deploy at close range for 4 attacks or 5 with Pure Sabacc.  I think you'd have to ban him at least!

Interesting... As said before my instinct says "no pre-move" allowed. I do not see much problems deploying the Strikers point blanc range. This is the idea. 

About named pilots no problem here. The classic faceless swarm vs charismatic Rebel pilots. 4x PS 4 Strikers plus 4x PS 3 Strikers. 

Do you think Tie Strikers should be capable to dock? Hatch on top...wingspan measures... etc.

On Wookieepedia the TIE Advanced is 9.8m long, the TIE Striker is 17.18m long!  I think room could be an issue unless they face side ways (I'm talking in universe here do not attempt to wedge your Strikers on the Gozanti docking clamps! :))

The pilot hatch appears to be at the back and largely similar to a standard TIE Fighter hatch (the TIE Bomber hatch appears to be non-standard anyway).

I suppose it could be done although other ships (Adv Prototype, Phantom) make better candidates.

I'd vote no pre-move based both on rules and theme. Rules because you are not revealing a dial. Theme because I imagine the Alerons move to be the inherent advantage a striker gets from being in atmosphere, but that advantage would be lost when you tumble your way out of the turbulence around the Gozanti squareish frame.

Also, Sasajak makes a good point about the length of strikers possibly being too much to fit in line on the clamps. If they have to be mounted sideways then should they deploy from the sides of the Gozanti base? 

1 minute ago, nitrobenz said:

If they have to be mounted sideways then should they deploy from the sides of the Gozanti base? 

Probably not needed in game as docked ships can deploy from the front and back of the Gozanti but the ships face forward.  Unless you're a Wookiee and put the clamps on backwards.

1 hour ago, nitrobenz said:

Theme because I imagine the Alerons move to be the inherent advantage a striker gets from being in atmosphere, but that advantage would be lost when you tumble your way out of the turbulence around the Gozanti squareish frame.

Also, playing around with your wing flaps doesn't do much good when you're still hooked up to the ship...

We really need an update on the Gozanti rules and the EPIC FAQ.  

Technically I would like to know the size restriction for mounting ships (remember they can also point down except the silly little pegs) for pilots to enter ships.

But my first impression is Heck yeah!!!  But I do think the Adaptive Alerons should not be in effect when launching.

First, I think it's a great idea for epic, since it's supposed to just be fun.

Second, following both the rules and the "fluff", I would say ailerons should not trigger on deploy. You're not revealing a maneuver, and the ailerons won't matter when you're docked.

12 hours ago, Sasajak said:

Interesting idea.  If you could dock Strikers I don't think you could use Adaptive Ailerons when deploying as that card is immediately before you reveal your dial.  When undocking you choose a manoeuvre from the dial.

Regardless of this could docking Strikers be completely over powered though?  You're offering a lot of protection to a 4 hull 2 agility ship.  How are you going to balance the mission?  As an imperial player I'd just keep them docked until I could deploy at close range for 4 attacks or 5 with Pure Sabacc.  I think you'd have to ban him at least!

How is that worse then bombers with ordnance?

46 minutes ago, PhantomFO said:

How is that worse then bombers with ordnance?

4 hull on the Striker vs 6 hull on the Bomber means they get more benefit from Gozanti protection.  You could deploy all 4 Strikers at once (with Vector) from the same side using barrel roll.  This is much harder Bombers that have to target lock to use ordnance and so dependant on getting a target lock from another source.  Also as said ordnance Bombers cost a lot more.

Perhaps the question should be how is that worse than Interceptors? :)