Sign in to follow this  
TheShard

Playing a drunk

I haven't seen any rules pertaining to alcohol, you could extrapolate a bit from the spice rules.

As for portrayal, I saw this gem of tip a while ago:
Act sober. Put effort into making sure that everyone around you knows how sober you are. If in doubt, tell them. Repeatedly. I mean, you might have had a few drinks, but it's not like it isn't something you can handle, right?

Edited by penpenpen

You could give your character the "Addict" Obligation.

It suggests to apply Setback Dice for most checks whenever the character is in withdrawal.

I don't think there are explicit effects for consuming alcohol, but a lot of the books as well as the CRB feature a few drugs and their effects while under influence as well as while in withdrawel.

You could use those as inspiration. Maybe drinking alcohol gives Boost to Charisma Checks up until a certain amount of consumption before going rapidly downhill again.

Edited by RicoD

I might go with if he's currently Six Sheets to the Wind, he gets a black on all rolls (except perhaps charm :) ). If it's been a while between drinks, it might be a black all the way to an upgrade of difficulty thanks to the DTs.

My archaeologist uses drink (the addiction obligation) to forget his past, which haunts him. He never gets sloppy over board drunk but he definitely gets tipsy. He is confident in his abilities (whether true or simply liquid courage) to get himself out of scraps using either his charm/intellect or weapons ability (if need be). I have no problem with the GM tacking on difficulty dice or, on a rare occasion (very very very rare as the GM doesn't drink lol) the beneficial blue dice. I typically play up this portion of my character during "downtime" elements. "Your group is being approached again to investigate why the plumbing at Jabba's palace is backed up. You are all gathered together to discuss the particulars for said job except for Ryxmer, who (pc) noticed was in the lounge taking shots and talking to a table of jawas". I don't actively play a "drunk" during the adventure because the pace of the adventure keeps Ryxmer nominally in check. He does however keep a flask/flagon handy for those moments when "I need a drink" pop up (like perhaps discovering a partly devoured jedi in training was the reason for the clog in the plumbing in Jabbas palace.)

It can add thematic and flavor to a game but in no way should be an all out distraction to the game. Add/subtract a dice or two, laugh at the impromptu bad drunk acting of the player and move on. Ultimately, if this were real life, none of us who engage in life or death missions with lots of credits at stake, are going to tolerate a  chronic drunk amongst them.

4 hours ago, Sharatec said:

I kind of think a Resilience check to avoid getting setback dice would be in order if the scene is important.

Seconded. I would suggest using the fear rules, except you roll Resilience instead of Discipline, to handle the effect of drunkness. I have done this in my own games and it has worked great. 

Thats a great suggestion Hampulina.   Also awesome info Currahee!  My character has a mild addiction to spice and I have been looking for a good way to portray it without it becoming too much of a sticking point.  Shes got the Addiction obligation.   And since she has had to survive on her own (Explorer/Fringer)  for so long she came to rely on using spice as a means to boost her abilities.   When her Obligation triggers I will definitely push the issue to the front more.  But until then its just in the back ground.  A choice she can make IF the situation calls for it. 

One of my players is playing a drunken wookie.  Although he does have the addiction obligation, I haven't pushed too hard on that so far.  But what it has done is provided a great narrative for every failed check he makes.  Failed to hit on a shot?  Couldn't focus on the target.  Failed a Perception check?  Fallen asleep on duty.  Failed a Stealth check?  Tried to take a swig mid-sneak and dropped the bottle on the floor.

If I were the GM running this . . .  (Note also that I'm a non drinker and all of my info is academic or through observation).

Okay there are two issues here.  1 Drunkenness & 2 Alcoholism.

Let me hit the Drunkenness issue first.

Since Alcohol is a debilitating substance, I'd recommend assessing 1 Black die for light/social drinking, 2 Black die for moderate drinking, and 3 black dice if the character has engaged in heavy drinking; to all attribute and skills checks.  Until they've had time to sober up.

Mind you, should a character go past 'heavy' drinking they start to get sleepy.  So if characters start drinking, start adding black dice to skills checks.

Alcoholism is a type of addition and could be an "addiction: obligation" for the SW RPG.  If a character is an alcoholic, I'd ask the players to make a willpower check with one difficulty dice for every 5 points of obligation.  If they fail, they start drinking (see the above liabilities).  Also, for each failure and/or threat, that is a base number of black setback die for future skill checks, to reflect how fast and hard they got drunk.

So that's what I'd do if it were me.