Sign in to follow this  
frozenbunnysteak

First Game, Couple of Questions

Hi, I just got Arkham Horror and played my first game a couple of nights ago.  I came up with a couple of questions that I couldn't work out.  I have been looking for answers but couldn't find the ones I wanted, so I was wondering if someone could answer them here.

1.  If I move into an area with both a gate and a monster, will I have to deal with the monster, or do I get drawn through the gate before having to evade/fight it?

2.  If I am on a location that allows me to buy things or trade my trophies, how many times can I do that per turn?  Am I limited to one per turn or just limited by the amount of money/number of trophies I have?

3. If I close/seal a gate, does that replace my encounter for that phase or do I have to resolve an encounter too?  If I have to do both, which happens first?

If these have been answered somewhere already and you could point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated or if anyone could just give me answers here.

Thanks.

frozenbunnysteak said:

1.  If I move into an area with both a gate and a monster, will I have to deal with the monster, or do I get drawn through the gate before having to evade/fight it?

2.  If I am on a location that allows me to buy things or trade my trophies, how many times can I do that per turn?  Am I limited to one per turn or just limited by the amount of money/number of trophies I have?

3. If I close/seal a gate, does that replace my encounter for that phase or do I have to resolve an encounter too?  If I have to do both, which happens first?

If these have been answered somewhere already and you could point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated or if anyone could just give me answers here.

Best rule of thumb for Arkham: Follow the Phases.

#1: Monsters in the movement phase (phase 2), sucked in in Arkham Encounter phase (phase 3). If you get an encounter at another location that let's you move to any other location, if the new location has a monster + gate, used to be you didn't have to deal with the monster. I think (Tibs, Colts) the to-be-released FAQ will change this so that you'll have to deal with the monster before being sucked in.

#2: Once per turn. Those are "instead of an encounter", you normally have 1 encounter per phase, so can only use the alternate once per.

#3: Closing the gate is your Arkham Encounter for the turn.

Dam said:

#1: Monsters in the movement phase (phase 2), sucked in in Arkham Encounter phase (phase 3). If you get an encounter at another location that let's you move to any other location, if the new location has a monster + gate, used to be you didn't have to deal with the monster. I think (Tibs, Colts) the to-be-released FAQ will change this so that you'll have to deal with the monster before being sucked in.

#2: Once per turn. Those are "instead of an encounter", you normally have 1 encounter per phase, so can only use the alternate once per.

#3: Closing the gate is your Arkham Encounter for the turn.

# 1. You sucked in the end of your movement phase to be sure. So you GET Other World encounter the turn you sucked in.

#2. At River docks or Science Building you can change ANY NUMBER of trophies for money or clues. In other words if you have 15 overall thoughness trophies you can get 6 clue tokens or $15 in ONE TURN giving them all away. And that will be your encounter.

Lesseps said:

# 1. You sucked in the end of your movement phase to be sure. So you GET Other World encounter the turn you sucked in.

#2. At River docks or Science Building you can change ANY NUMBER of trophies for money or clues. In other words if you have 15 overall thoughness trophies you can get 6 clue tokens or $15 in ONE TURN giving them all away. And that will be your encounter.

Sorry, have call bull on both of these.

Page 9: Arkham Encounter Phase:

"2. Gate
If the location has a gate, the investigator is drawn
through the gate. He moves to the first area (the left
area) of the Other World indicated on the gate marker."

For the second, think about the Asylum for a moment. Why would you ever pay $2 to get back to full Sanity if you could just take X "instead of encounters" per turn and heal to full for free? You get 1 encounter per turn. At certain locations, you can choose to either a card draw or activate the location special ability once.

So you mean in Other wolrds you have just SINGLE encounter, not two ?

For a second, Arkham asylum was not in my example. Only Docks and Science building. And I don't see any problems in getting 10 bucks for 10 trophies in one turn, this is logical.

And reading on Asylum clearly says you can have 1 free sanity OR full for $2 in your encounter. Thus no more than 1 free per encounter.

P.S. And after all bull is one of the things I can hardly agree with on forums. Watch your language please.

Lesseps said:

So you mean in Other wolrds you have just SINGLE encounter, not two ?

For a second, Arkham asylum was not in my example. Only Docks and Science building. And I don't see any problems in getting 10 bucks for 10 trophies in one turn, this is logical.

And reading on Asylum clearly says you can have 1 free sanity OR full for $2 in your encounter. Thus no more than 1 free per encounter.

P.S. And after all bull is one of the things I can hardly agree with on forums. Watch your language please.

Negative. Regarding gates and monsters and other worlds:

Monsters are fought during the movement phase (phase2). Getting sucked through the gate happens during the Arkham Encounter phase (phase 3). The Other World Encounter happens during the OW encounter phase (phase 4.) Thus, you must fight the monster, then get sucked in, then have an OW encounter in that order, and all on the same turn. It is not until the following turn that you move to the second OW area (phase 2) and have your second OW encounter (phase 4.)

As for selling multiple trophies on a single encounter phase, I'm pretty sure Dam is right, and I think it has been FAQed. I'll see if I can find it and post it for you.

Lesseps said:

I don't see how you can make that difference. Science Building "you main spend 5 toughness or 1 gate trophy to gain 2 Clues", Asylum " you may either gain 1 Sanity for free or pay $2 to heal to full." So if you can activate Science Building more than once (since you're going with 10 or 15 Toughness), why can't you gain "1 Sanity for free" multiple times?

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/477618/question-about-turning-in-trophies

Lesseps said:

Get your bloody facts straight before you start answering rules questions and there is no need to call BS on those replies.

Dam said:

Get your bloody facts straight before you start answering rules questions and there is no need to call BS on those replies.

I don't really know what school did you finish, but there is absolutely NO NEED to call BS on ANY replies that fit into the forum rules. And my reply did (even if I misread some rules). Doubt about yours...

as for this:

I can't see any officials. There is no mention in the rules, so in theory you can play it way you feel logical. And getting all the sanity for free where there is a pay otion is not logical. Thus, turning in 10 trophies instead of 5 is somewhat logical for me.

Following your faulty logic, there's also no mention in the rules that you couldn't take another encounter card right after you've resolved the first one. Say, does that allow me to go to the Newspaper and take encounters until I'm satisfied? Of course not. Does that allow me to shop at the Curiositie Shoppe multiple times during the same turn? Of course not. Does that allow me to use Dissection or Shady Character multiple times during the same turn? Of course not.

The location special abilities are all written in the same basic manner: Instead of having an encounter you may spend X to gain Y. There's no mention of spending 2X to gain 2Y, it's as simple as that. Unless your investigator can somehow take two encounters in the same turn, you cannot use any location special ability more than once per turn, no matter where it is. Why would the Science Building or River Docks work any differently from the Shops, Hospital, Asylum, Ma's or Church?

-Villain

Lesseps said:

I don't really know what school did you finish, but there is absolutely NO NEED to call BS on ANY replies that fit into the forum rules.

So giving false information is okay?

Lesseps said:

I can't see any officials. There is no mention in the rules, so in theory you can play it way you feel logical. And getting all the sanity for free where there is a pay otion is not logical. Thus, turning in 10 trophies instead of 5 is somewhat logical for me.

From the thread: "The point is one encounter, use the special ability once per player turn. The revised FAQ that will come out someday will make this crystal clear."

Brian (ColtsFan76) has seen/read/proof-read/etc. said revised FAQ and has "spoiled" some other to come rulings as well.

Science Building reads 5 toughness in monster trophies or 1 gate trophy. It does not give you the option of trading 10/15/20 toughness or 2/3/4 gate trophies in one visit.

I thought Dam was arguing with himself. I miss personal avatars.

1. You enter gates during the Arkham Encounters phase, not movement. This gives other investigators the chance to run to the gate and give them stuff before they enter, retreating off the gate space afterwards.
  2. You may only use the special ability on a location once per turn. So you can get, at most, 2 clues or $5 at the Science Building / River Docks each turn. To get more, you have to spend more time there (it takes time to dissect and understand!)

>>>>So giving false information is okay?

Well, internet is full of false information. If I made something understood wrong, that's my fault.

But I don't really see how this makes you "competent" for swearing away in my direction. There is no such forums rule like "if opponent seems to be wrong, it is time to muck him into s..t"

Lesseps said:

>>>>So giving false information is okay?

Well, internet is full of false information. If I made something understood wrong, that's my fault.

But I don't really see how this makes you "competent" for swearing away in my direction. There is no such forums rule like "if opponent seems to be wrong, it is time to muck him into s..t"

Lesseps, I'm under the impression that English isn't your first language, so I'll just clear something up in this nontroversy.  Though Dam is salty and opinionated (which is why I call him Evil Peanut), his saying bull shouldn't be necessarily taken as offensive.  Among many English speakers BS is another way of saying something isn't true.  Although BS is a slightly more polite way of saying bull (since some English speakers find the word "****" offensive, and many English speakers don't like saying "****" around children even if they don't find it objectionable among adults).  You could say something's false, a lie, or bull.  They all mean similar things, but the latter is not necessarily pejoritive (if it were in a berating context, I'd say yes, but in the context of correcting two misrulings, I'd say no).

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bull

English is not my native language, that's true.

But anyways, being polite goes a long way. If there is a small tradition of caling untrue information bull, that's great. But considering forums are international (and they really are), person should always consider his language too.

That's my humble opinion. .

I wouldn't say it's a small tradition.  It'd probably be mapped more easily by region, age, and religiousity.  That being said, as I said before, Dam is less polite than Evil Peanut ;')  Some people take pride in politeness, others in bluntness.  Just because the internet is an international forum doesn't mean that everyone's going to want to talk like a diplomat (yet here I am playing conflict mediator when I should be playing Arkham Horror).

Lesseps said:

But anyways, being polite goes a long way. If there is a small tradition of caling untrue information bull, that's great. But considering forums are international (and they really are), person should always consider his language too.

I agree and would have been offended by Dams choice of words, too. Then again, English isn't my first language either...

Anyway, in cases like this just use the report link conveniently provided below each post. That's what it's there for. There's no need for discussing this.

I don't wanne report and I don't wanne argue anymore too.

If I posted some untrue information that lead to some misunderstanding - I apology for that.

That's all.

To all of this I yell DUCKSHIT !!!!

...or "Toadshit", Dam could say, as he always mocks my frenchiness.

Then to him I would answer... Reindeershit !!!!

Anyway, please, everyone, stop swearing, this is not a french forum  :D

Good lord.

Welcome to the Carnival, frozenbunnysteak! gran_risa.gifdemonio.gifaplauso.gif  Sorry about all the splashing, but when you sit in the first five rows, you WILL GET WET! gui%C3%B1o.gif