Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KnightHammer

4 preview cards, Chopper, Hera, Jawa and IG88 fix

82 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, RogueLieutenant said:

System shock is incredible. 

I'm thinking about this one in campaign... it seems like it would get a lot less use compared to skirmish, but if it does happen you can just drop a stormtrooper from across the map.

Hera seems like she'll be a great campaign Ally.  Gives you the chance to spread out a bit so you're not all bunched up for a turn 1 blast from Heavy Stormtroopers, and adding two surge will help a lot when trying to stun eRGs.

Well, there are some missions where terminals cannot be interacted with/destroyed, or get bonus defense, if Imp figures are adjacent.  Chopper could be a big help with that.

2 minutes ago, Engine25 said:

They show the gray card but discuss the elite. Spoils:

Bargain: surge to pay 1 VP and roll a green, gaining VP equal to the accuracy result.

Scavenged Stock: If your army affiliation is Mercenary, you can add three Droid Groups to your army.

That's interesting, Bargain could be very useful indeed

Wave 9 should also have some pretty sweet droid command cards as well which will make them even more potent for skirmish. I was just thinking about this the other day how bad the Droid trait really is, well not for long!

The IG-88 fix is great. We have to remember that this game was inherited by the current designers from previous designers, it's like a game of telephone, by the time you get through a few people things have changed. This game has obviously changed since its inception (for the much, much better) and they are just trying to play catch up. I would rather have them admit defeat and just retcon things with a card like this than try to fix it through subtle changes in command cards/other attachments that may or may not imbalance other characters/parts of the game.

I think this was a bold move that shows that FFG is listening to its customers and they really do give a crap. From what we have seen since Hoth this game has seen incredible improvements and the future can only be bright. I really enjoyed the enthusiasm and sincerity of the designers in the Covenant video, shows that they are really invested into this game.

34 minutes ago, Engine25 said:

Bargain: surge to pay 1 VP and roll a green, gaining VP equal to the accuracy result.

Not the accuracy, I think, because then you would not be able to lose any - no drawback. I think they said damage results. Edit: yup. There's a 1/6 chance you lose your ante.

Edited by a1bert
nickv2002 likes this

1 minute ago, a1bert said:

Not the accuracy, I think, because then you would not be able to lose any - no drawback. I think they said damage results.

Ahh you're probably right, I was listening in the car and typed it in when I got home.  May not be 100% on the wording.

UPDATED RULES FOR

Jawa Elite - (3 points) Leader, Smuggler , 5 health, 4 speed, white def, 2 yellow attack
+2 acc, surge for + 2 damage, surge for pierce 2, surge for +2 acc

Surge (bargain, roll 1 green die and for each hit result gain 1 victory point)
Take Cover (same as basic Jawa)
If your army affiliation is Mercenary, you can add three Droid Groups to your army FROM ANY OTHER FACTION!!
Edited by KnightHammer
nickv2002 and timberwolfprime like this

So let's see... Chopper costs 3, has 5 health and 4 speed, surge for pierce 2 and recover 2, and a red/green attack.

Gaarkhan cost 8, has 10 health 4 speed, pierce 1 and focus, and a red yellow attack.

They both can charge, but that counts as Gaarkhan's attack.  Chopper can perform additional damage actions with either of his specials.  Chopper can kill from across the map with the system shock. 

I'm having a hard time figuring out why I would take Gaarkhan over Chopper, but I know I DON'T wanna call this power creep, because that would obviously be incorrect usage of the term.

IG 88 fix is nice but I am with others who'd prefer they just release new cards for uncompetitive older uniques.  There are so many that they'll have to release quite a few of these command cards.  And, that still leaves some as useless in campaign unless your playing the new Nemesis deck.

Arttemis likes this

2 hours ago, RogueLieutenant said:

Chopper laughs at Saska's command card. :P

Saska gets lots of jokes thrown her way, unfortunately, she often is defeated by bombs blowing up in her face.

I still fail to see how this is a fix on IGGy, it looks at best a lateral move, but really limits his movement and still leaves you with an overpriced, easily defeated figure that doesn't hit much harder and loses a surge ability.  Hopefully, they are still figuring "fixes" out, so poor Dengar and Boba Fett get the good fix and we actually want to play them.

how does this limit his movement?   if anything you could think of him as a 7 movement 1 attack figure.  that in itself isn't shabby especially since you can pick 2 of your dice.  it also allows you to get off more of your assault attacks.  I'm just sad that he can't bring other attachments with him.  I will miss the recover though.

Just messing around

(3) Elite Jawa

(3) Elite Jawa

(2) Jawa

(2) Jawa

(2) C-3PO

(12) IG-88

(0) Focused on the Kill

(6) BT-1

(4) 0-0-0 or (3) Chopper + (1pt upgrade)

(5) Elite Probe Droid or MHD-19

(1) Explosive Armaments maybe on something

Edited by KnightHammer

6 hours ago, tomkat364 said:

I'm having a hard time figuring out why I would take Gaarkhan over Chopper

I'm having a hard time figuring out why you'd take Gaarkhan even if the only thing you owned was the core box.

Tomkat, I get the frustration with the terms. I really do. Maybe this will help?

If we imagine that all core set and wave 1 and 2 uniques didn't exist (except Gideon 3P0/R2 and Luke - maybe RGC he's kinda fringe). Then we have Hoth and bespin and jabba stuff. Would Chopper be blatantly better (without some positives and negatives) compared to other stuff? Or BT-1? Or an imaginary first release of IG-88 that is 15 health, 5 speed, inherent block 1, surge for plus 2 damage, surge for pierce 1. Gets an auto focus on his two die (of his choice) assault attacks (rather than having a three die attack and being able to be focused on top of that). With relentless for strain when he attacks (multiple times in a turn). And has son of skywalker but you take two damage to do it. He's arguably right around being a Jedi luke. (Edit- I forgot to include having an auto two movement points)

I don't know what we'd all think of the skirmish half of this game if that thought experiment were real. But I do think it helps get to the point that the designers are trying to put out new stuff that follows a power curve they intend. And yes, a lot of old stuff is crap compared to that curve. But it's being fixed not sent to the junk heap to rot forever - that would be power creep vs bringing things in line with the desired power curve (as much as humanly possible in an ever expanding game). I know I can't even begin to imagine the complexity of trying to balance all these figures but I really like what they're doing and how they keep getting better at it. 

Edited by Masterchiefspiff

System shock is quite clever, but what in the heck, and I've watched Rebels, does Chopper have that rates a pierce 2?  Also, I can see where this would rub players the wrong way.  The fix to IG88 removes his recovery, but Chopper is given Recovery 2 and more pierce than IG-88?  It makes me question the designers a bit, but we'll only know from play testing.  

Master Wang likes this