DerRitter

What is the U-Wing role?

It's been a while since I got my U-wing and I still haven't put it on the table. Every time I start building a list around it I end wondering what I want to do with him. So can you people that have actually used it give some insights on what it does for your squadron?

My guess it suits more a support role, but then how you build it and what are you supporting?

I'm in the same boat, more or less, and I haven't fielded it yet. The one spot I've found for it so far is as a buzzsaw support ship, with Gunner and FCS. And there's the list with four Us that reminds me of the good old cow herd days - four with FCS and title, while my own cow herd was four Lambdas with Engines.

I think there's potential in having the U-Wing work as a large-base blocker, but it gets rather expensive rather quickly if you want for it to do something with the action Heff Tobber gets when he blocks, and it's too expensive for it to do nothing except block.

So, looking forward to more ideas.

I guess that is selling point is as a cheap double crew carrier, Rebels however lack crews that have a big impact of other ships, I belive Jyn Erso and Jan Ors are good options, but I struggle to find other ships that get enought benefit for it.

Other option is as a long range buzsaw attacker (Gunner+FCS) for 30 pts, as it can stay far from the melee using the 0 move, but then for 30 pts I dont know if its better than a TLT Y-Wing.

16 minutes ago, DerRitter said:

It's been a while since I got my U-wing and I still haven't put it on the table. Every time I start building a list around it I end wondering what I want to do with him. So can you people that have actually used it give some insights on what it does for your squadron?

My guess it suits more a support role, but then how you build it and what are you supporting?

I took the U-Wing to regionals and nearly made the cut. It is definitely a support ship, and can fill the weakness of your other ships. Heff + Zeb crew is awesome.

Like Zoidberg above, I am trying similar Cassian build + Engine Upgrade to be wingmate to Dash or Rey and strip tokens before they attack. Worked nice in the couple games I tried. Not sold on it, but potential is there.

its stats and dial scream support ship but i simply cant find a good crew combo.

Jyn/Jan sound like the obvious pair but gotta remember Jyn checks YOUR arc for ships, not the ship you targeted. Which imo makes the Uwing a really bad platform for it since once it flies past people it takes awhile to get back.

Majority of rebel crew benefit that ship theyre on. And if im making a Uwing a gun platform, im paying a few points more for a YT1300. Lose the system slot, but gain a PWT. Being able to fire every turn > having a TL when you can fire.

I love the U-Wing, it is in my top 3 right now of favorite ships to fly....being #1 (#2 Falcon/Rey, #3 Corran/Ewing)

I build it very aggressively, with Sabine, Prox mines, engine upgrade, snap shot, and enhanced scopes. Works very well. but my local meta is catching onto my tactics and focusing on destroying Cassian....

18 minutes ago, Chief Hugh said:

One problem for the U-wing is the ARC-170. The ARC plays many of the roles the U-wing does, for better or worse.

I run them together. 

The current list I'm working with in prep for Regionals is the Cassian build above alongside Norra with Adap. + R2-D2 + Rey + Overhaul.  So they're both at PS 8; Cassian fires first and burns tokens; Norra then follows up with (hopefully) a solid punch through unmodified greens.

The remaining points are invested in an Gold Squad Ion Stresshog.  The other day I caught Ryad with her pants down and double stressed + ioned her.  It was glorious.

I have been pairing Cassian Andor (Luke Skywalker, Hera Syndulla, Fire Control System, Veteran Instincts)

with Rey (Expertise, Finn, Kanan Jarras, Engine Upgrade).

Hera lets the U-Wing sit on the spot and shoot turn after turn.

the Hoff with Engine Upgrade works well with the same crew.

secret to the U-wing:

have focus, otherwise your 2 agility (+1 over the B) is basically worthless

Rey is the ideal, because your fat ass will lose you action steps and if you stop (to flip or otherwise) you don't get actions

Heff and Cassian are by far the most influential (because Bodhi doesn't really actually do anything)

Heff is basically made for Jyn, as the U only has two actions anyway

Cassian is for stress things, because duh

Rey actually makes it a decent ordnance platform, because you can focus plasma torps after TLing as your normal action

this thing isn't ever going to be competitive, though. It requires too much forethought to play and isn't busted like dengaroo or some such. It's just decent

have flown Heffe as Rey FCS Jyn plasmas and chips

with m9g8 Jess and TLT + c3po miranda

note: havn't actually gotten the Jyn jank to fire off, yet. Mostly, Heffe just acts as Biggs but lasts a lot longer and hits harder

and Cassian as Rey FCS inspiring and crackshot with PTL PA thruster r5p9 Poe and a stresshog

16252166_10158092421080142_9075952751313

15874786_10157979890965142_1911844642521

Edited by ficklegreendice

Ive been flying the U-wing for a few weeks. Mostly Cassian with Fire Control System Jyn/Jan. The other day I thought that maybe having a lower ps and Advanced Sensors instead of FCS would allow for better use of Jyn. This way you know where your opponent will be when you use Jyn, as you can use it before or after movement. It would also allow you to use actions when you want to stop/flip or if you dont have the space to fly normally(my biggest weakness). And you could use the fair number of green maneuvers to pull off some Experimental Interface shenanigans. I like Bodhi more than Heff, I know the value of blocking, it just doesn't sit right with me most of the time lol

34 minutes ago, codegnave said:

Ive been flying the U-wing for a few weeks. Mostly Cassian with Fire Control System Jyn/Jan. The other day I thought that maybe having a lower ps and Advanced Sensors instead of FCS would allow for better use of Jyn. This way you know where your opponent will be when you use Jyn, as you can use it before or after movement. It would also allow you to use actions when you want to stop/flip or if you dont have the space to fly normally(my biggest weakness). And you could use the fair number of green maneuvers to pull off some Experimental Interface shenanigans. I like Bodhi more than Heff, I know the value of blocking, it just doesn't sit right with me most of the time lol

On the flip side, knowing where your opponent's arcs are going to be when the combat phase rolls around lets you make better decisions one who should get the tokens.

3 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

secret to the U-wing:

have focus, otherwise your 2 agility (+1 over the B) is basically worthless

Rey is the ideal, because your fat ass will lose you action steps and if you stop (to flip or otherwise) you don't get actions

Heff and Cassian are by far the most influential (because Bodhi doesn't really actually do anything)

Heff is basically made for Jyn, as the U only has two actions anyway

Cassian is for stress things, because duh

Rey actually makes it a decent ordnance platform, because you can focus plasma torps after TLing as your normal action

this thing isn't ever going to be competitive, though. It requires too much forethought to play and isn't busted like dengaroo or some such. It's just decent

have flown Heffe as Rey FCS Jyn plasmas and chips

with m9g8 Jess and TLT + c3po miranda

note: havn't actually gotten the Jyn jank to fire off, yet. Mostly, Heffe just acts as Biggs but lasts a lot longer and hits harder

and Cassian as Rey FCS inspiring and crackshot with PTL PA thruster r5p9 Poe and a stresshog

16252166_10158092421080142_9075952751313

15874786_10157979890965142_1911844642521

Bodhi doesn't do anything?   Hmmm...getting all your ships target lock focus by the time they hit the fray seems like it's good, especially with ordnance. 

As for how I'm running one, I'm currently trying them out with Ezra, Hera,FCS.   

it's not good, because it encourages a ship to be in range while the others aren't

which isn't terribly great play unless you're magically not getting shot at

if there was no range restriction at all, he'd do something. alas

Edited by ficklegreendice

Well i finally got a couple wins with it. Ran Heff w/ FCS, Ion Projector, Rey, and Zeb, 2 SnapPTL/VT Greenwings, and a basic HWK with Autoblaster turret and Kanan. The HWK did exactly what i wanted it to do, draw attention since it has autos and give one of my Awings its white maneuvers back via Kanan. The Awings ripped everything to shreds, Heff might as well not have existed lol. He contributed to me taking out a Poe in the first round of combat but the Awings did most of the damage to him and all the damage to everyone else.

This thing....even when i get a good game it feels like its underperforming and i'd be better off with something else.

1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

it's not good, because it encourages a ship to be in range while the others aren't

which isn't terribly great play unless you're magically not getting shot at

if there was no range restriction at all, he'd do something. alas

I understand the issue, but there's  nothing that says you have to fly foolishly.

Edited by AlexW