Darth Sanguis

Fixing the frustrations of squadron play (a creative solution)

This is a fantastic idea, though I imagine it's the sort of thing one clears with TOs before tournaments. Those are 3D printed parts; what program did you design them in? And perhaps to the point many will ask, are you planning to either provide the design file or sell these widgets?

1 minute ago, CaribbeanNinja said:

Holy crap those are awesome!  I love the matching dials next to the card.

Only suggestion might be spots for defense tokens for aces.

Superb work!

What he said about aces. Given that aces have to be by themselves, perhaps a modified version of the single, using that blank space below the dial?

Just now, CaribbeanNinja said:

Holy crap those are awesome!  I love the matching dials next to the card.

Only suggestion might be spots for defense tokens for aces.

Superb work!

During the test play the defense tokens used sat unintrusively over the bottom of the card, though a slot for them may be added to future designs.

1 minute ago, GiledPallaeon said:

This is a fantastic idea, though I imagine it's the sort of thing one clears with TOs before tournaments. Those are 3D printed parts; what program did you design them in? And perhaps to the point many will ask, are you planning to either provide the design file or sell these widgets?

They are currently for sale on ETSY, the current design uses a metal peg system to prevent snapping which is common with 3D printed goods. 

Wow, kudos on your creativity here!  

My only concern is that it makes is a little bit harder for your opponent to see the status of each squadron on the table.  Which could be an acceptable tradeoff.

I think I'd keep the initiative tabs on the squadron itself at least, so that my opponent can tell at a single glance, which squadrons have activated and which have not.  Sliding the tabs doesn't usually necessitate lifting them off the map.

But yes - please link the etsy page and you shall have my money too!!

6 minutes ago, Maturin said:

Wow, kudos on your creativity here!  

My only concern is that it makes is a little bit harder for your opponent to see the status of each squadron on the table.  Which could be an acceptable tradeoff.

I think I'd keep the initiative tabs on the squadron itself at least, so that my opponent can tell at a single glance, which squadrons have activated and which have not.  Sliding the tabs doesn't usually necessitate lifting them off the map.

But yes - please link the etsy page and you shall have my money too!!

This was actually one of the concerns originally brought up during the design phase. During play testing (which is about 10 matches by now) Players commented they actually didn't have that difficult of a time seeing squad activation or HP, and on occurrences they did, said it was as simple as asking "what's Red 3 at?" There was some feedback to put black behind the slider could make it even easier though, which I plan to implement on current designs.

11 minutes ago, geek19 said:

Where on Etsy? Link and take my money!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ArmadaFix

The one suggestion I would offer is to center the 8-plate. All the others, too. Instead of the card, with a long tail hanging off, make it more like a T on it's side, or an H.

Of course, that's much easier to suggest than to implement, so proceed at your discretion.

Just now, Eggzavier said:

Was bracing myself for another negative thread about squadrons and their place in the game.

Was pleasantly surprised instead.

Fantastic stuff here, looks awesome!

I was typing up a response that said literally the same thing. I done got ninjaed.

Good work, though. I am intrigued...

This is an awesome idea!

I wonder if you could sell the card plates separately from the number and health dial.  That way it's easier to customize the numbers of fighters per card.  People could basically buy several card holders, then a ton of dial holders and numbers.

Very nice idea and design. I do like OccasionallyCorrect's idea, that way customers can just buy the dial-docks and set them next to their cards without using the card holder.

Also, I didn't see this anywhere, does an order also include the same # of discs to put on the fighter bases?

These are very awesome and innovative, but as much as I love them I'd be uncomfortable if I or my opponent was using them in the game.  I fear it adds a lot of time to the assessment-taking and decision-making aspect.  As obnoxious as all the dials and sliders are, there is a non-negligible value to having all of activated vs unactivated squadrons be immediately visually accessible when looking at the field.  Similarly when assessing the health of enemy squadrons, which can inform decisions about whether to use AA Fire or attack a ship. 

I just shudder a bit thinking about a field of 8 A-Wings vs 10 TIE Fighters in a big tangled furball. 

"So which TIEs have activated already?"

"TIEs 1, 3, 4, 6, and 9 are activated."

"Umm...okay...so here's 1, there's 3, uhh who else?"

"Okay...how many hits do these TIEs around me have left?"

"TIE 1 has... "

It's clever, it's elegant, it prevents bumpage and slidage, and it speeds up not needing to fish squadrons out of big tangled clumps to alter their stats.  That being said, there is something to be said for the objective visual clarity and time-saved in assessment and decision-making by having all the relevant stats of a fighter on the board.  I suspect that'll be a personal preference, kind of like people who like command tokens on their ship cards and people who like command tokens next to their ship models.

I come from a long background of Blood Bowl, and the community there had a strong preference for marking certain key relevant skills (Block, Dodge, Guard, for instance) onto model's bases or through adding colored bands to their bases or models.  Sure, you could just use the Player # on the model's base and cross-check that with the opponent's roster, but it was so much faster and easier to scan the field and think about options when it's immediately visually apparent to everyone who has what skills.

For that reason, I'd be uncomfortable allowing an opponent in a tournament to use these.  And I'd feel like a total jerk for doing it, of course, in no small part because these are beautifully executed and ingenuous solutions and I appreciate the effort that went into making them and the money folks will spend to acquire them.  I just feel like, in the PROs/CONs trade-offs, the immediate visual assessment of stats and activation state on the base wins out, despite all its flaws.

The holy grail of squad maintenance, and this addresses not knowing which squads have activated and what their HP is by examining the battlefield, is to have each squad have LEDs on them, a strip for HP and a Red and Blue LED for activation. A command console (phone app) could be used to communicate with each registered squad and change it's HP and activation LED (Red/Blue for not activated, and turned off for activated.

I'd love to make such a system but don't have the time to (work) and play and paint and do something like this,. Maybe when I'm retired, .... in 10+ years (I'm old)?  :|

18 minutes ago, Greatfrito said:

Very cool.  My only disappointment is that I can't use my own printer for them.

Well, they're not terribly hard to design. I'd prefer if people bought mine, I worked very hard to prototype, test, and fix these designs so that they'll last, but I'm sure there will be knock offs. All I can say is with mine, you'll never have bad shells or cheap infill, the pegs are metal and use rubber caps to hold the dial and slider in place. 

2 minutes ago, Thraug said:

Very nice idea and design. I do like OccasionallyCorrect's idea, that way customers can just buy the dial-docks and set them next to their cards without using the card holder.

Also, I didn't see this anywhere, does an order also include the same # of discs to put on the fighter bases?

It's something I'll have to consider.

Yes, The plates will come with their matching infills. No point in selling them separate lol