Soontir

Space Station stats

Hello all,

I'm working on a three faction scenario where the Rebels and Scum are trying to get to an Imperial space station first and make off with secret plans or a prototype ship.  The Imperial faction will just have to defend the station.  Does anyone have some suggested stats I could use for the space station?  I'm looking for realistic, yet not too overpowered, attack suggestions.  Maybe two dice but it gets to attack twice per turn to represent multiple batteries?  The goal will not be to destroy the station but just disable it.  I was thinking about a minimal hull value that represents the defensive cannons.  As an alternative to taking out the cannons, I was thinking that a single successful ion hit will make the station skip it's next attack turn.

Any suggestions?

I would base it on the capital ship stats, with the station having as many hardpoints as you think is appropriate.  Then choose secondary weapons for the hardpoints.  You could even use the energy idea to represent limited capacity to fire.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Check out Heroes of the Aturi Cluster. There's rules in there for all sorts of custom terrain, including space stations that have multiple different structures on them that you can blow up separately (It's been a while, but I recall there being a 'frame' that was essentially just empty space you could fly across and then all manner of structures like guns and shield generators on top of it that had to be attacked.)

I'll second Darth Meanie. I'd even suggest you might want to look at the Raider or Corvette specifically as a starting point for stats on your station. Decide if it needs to be tougher (military grade station? massively huge station?) or weaker (minor refueling station?) and adjust accordingly. As a general rule for an event, I'd suggest playtesting whatever you have against certain potential scenarios to see if it's appropriately built. Example - will the station disintegrate in a single round if four TLT Y-Wings open up on it? Does it laugh off a full alpha TIE Bomber strike?

By the by, for my Death Star trench run I designed new turbolaser towers to better match the cinematic run. Basically they have 1 Attack, 3 Hull points and 1 defense die to represent armor. They shoot out at ranges 2-5. If the attack hits, cancel results and deal three critical hits. They are wildly inaccurate against fighters, particularly since they are a primary weapon attack so extra green dice at range 3+ do play in. Even though a hit never landed - the players were very intimidated anyway.

I made some rules for a space station and even made it out of a Big Gulp cup and some plastic plates.  This was all before the epic modifications came out, so I didn't use Ordnance Tubes or other items.  I would probably change it up a little bit and would brainstorm with you if you wanted to.  It does use Epic rules and I figured it would generate 4 Energy a turn that it can then dish out to it's various functions.  That could always be more.

url?u=http-3A__i173.photobucket.com_albu

One thing I wanted was for it to rotate a quarter every turn.  Space stations rotate, right?  So, I wanted it.  I also thought of it as a strategy technique to have different sections that rotate every round and you might have a hard time burning through shields each round.  There is one central tower that fires and has crew.

url?u=http-3A__i173.photobucket.com_albu

Edited by heychadwick

11 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

You can also see a yogurt container and a hair spray lid on top of the plate in the above photo.  All of it spray painted, dry brushed, and with 40k bits glued on for affect.

I've seen fancier stuff, but I haven't seen much that was cheaper or easier!

Just to be clear, I wasn't demeaning your project. . .I was enjoying word-play that your space station made of supperware can dish :lol:

7 minutes ago, Gibbilo said:

but why would a space station have less hull and shield than a lambda shuttle? Just doesn't make sense.

Because 4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4 = 32 and 5+5 = 10?

Each individual part of the station has less hull and shields than a Lambda, but that's like saying "Why does the Raider have less Hull and Shield than a Decimator?" 

Yes, half of a Raider has less Hull and Shield than a Decimator. A quarter of a Space Station has less Hull and Shield than a Lambda.

This is fine.

Thanks for the ideas and I love the homemade space station.

I think I'm going to use a immobile Gozanti with a TIE Defender in one of it's docking clamp.   The turret will provide defense and the Imperial player can get two energy as an Action.  Without moving I'm not sure what the best mechanic is to use to get energy.   The opposition will have to attach with the Gozanti using the rules suggested in one of the Gozanti missions in order to steal the TIE Defender.

14 minutes ago, Soontir said:

Thanks for the ideas and I love the homemade space station.

I think I'm going to use a immobile Gozanti with a TIE Defender in one of it's docking clamp.   The turret will provide defense and the Imperial player can get two energy as an Action.  Without moving I'm not sure what the best mechanic is to use to get energy.   The opposition will have to attach with the Gozanti using the rules suggested in one of the Gozanti missions in order to steal the TIE Defender.

I think I would either give the Gozanti 4 or 5 shield a turn.   The more energy you put towards engines (going faster) the less you get for other things.  On my podcast we talked about how the epic ships should be able to just dead stop and get even more energy.  4 Energy is what you get for the slowest move forward, so either that for balance reasons, or 5 since you aren't moving.  It's not as much a big deal on the Gozanti, I think, as it only has one Hard Point.  If you had numerous weapons and lots of energy, then it would be trouble.