AwesomeJedi

Save the Classic! The X-wing

9 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Listen kid, the T-65 was last years model.  Either pony up for a new and shiny T-70 or go to Tochi Station to pick up some power converters for your out-of-date T-65.  Either way, you're flying an X-Wing.

I already have 2. But they don't feel the same.

5 hours ago, gabe69velasquez said:

What is the difference between Aturi Cluster X-wings and Regular X-wings?

In the Rebel Alliance, the X-wings are given modifications and their pilots recieve training and gain experience all the time. That is what makes the Aturi Cluster X-wing special. You get to treat it as if your in the Rebellion allowed to have mechanics do what ever you want with your ship like the movies. 

4 hours ago, Embir82 said:

I just want Rebels to be able to take small ships without the need of taking Biggs. This is the ship that I hate the most.

You pay 26 pts just for a missile magnet whose only goal is to die. It is boring ship and I hate to fly it - my guess opponents hate to fly against it; unfortunately it is necessary when 4 or 5 attack dice are common and with the exception of Miranda and Corran rebel small ships just die without Biggs.

I would gladly see demise of Biggs (absolute monster nerf) if it would mean more variability for Rebels and more power for X-Wing ship.

Alright I'll need to stop you there, since I just took him out of the box for a long time and realized something. So I agree I don't like the "Biggs Tax," but Biggs can be an incredibly enjoyable ship to fly. His job is not to die, it is to keep other ships alive. There is a huge difference there. Biggs can be flown tactically trying to make it to end game while ensuring his friends do as well. And some cards really toughen him up. If you don't just fly him in wing he is very amusing. He CAN be a missile sponge and sometimes needs to be, but he can be much more....

note: rebels don't suck because of Biggs (see Corran, Miranda)

rebel ships suck, generally carried only by regen, ergo you need Biggs

don't invert the causality here. Nerfing Biggs would just make the faction overall shittier with no gain

Edited by ficklegreendice

1 hour ago, Sbloom141 said:

God forbid there's a topic about the X-Wing on the X-Wing forum! :D

An identical thread with the same points and people discussing it with the same arguments is posted every week.

Here, catch this:

U5zMOxy.png

The next time the same thread is posted, ie next week, take this card and look how many pages it will reach before you get a bingo.

Edited by eMeM
typo

56 minutes ago, AwesomeJedi said:

In the Rebel Alliance, the X-wings are given modifications and their pilots receive training and gain experience all the time. That is what makes the Aturi Cluster X-wing special. You get to treat it as if your in the Rebellion allowed to have mechanics do what ever you want with your ship like the movies. 

So the ships themselves are the same? Or are you saying they should have free modifications and PS bonuses?

6 hours ago, GrimmyV said:

It's not just 100/6 death match.  HOTAC (or any campaign or EPIC) is the real fix for the entire game, but FFG will not deviate from the official tourney format.

This

I haven't got very far in my HotAC campaign, but I feel that one of the reason X-wings shine in that game is that there are so many TIE Fighters with 2-dice attacks. Having the two agility compared to Y-wings and B-wings makes a difference. And having the extra attack dice over A-wings makes it easier to punch through the high-agility Imperial ships. We don't see too many 2-dice attacks on the tables these days (according to forum wisdom; you're meta may vary).

Another reason the X-wing is good is because of versatility. In HotAC, you face a bunch of different ships and have different goals for each mission. You're not playing a death match each time. Because the X-wing is an average ship, it can do each of those tasks decently. But when you play in a tournament, only one thing matters: destroying enemy ships. And not only that, but you can predict which ships are going to be at the tournament based on how things are doing in other tournaments. Since you have a pretty good idea of what you're going to face in a tournament, you don't really get any benefit out of being versatile; you're much better off planning counters for the specific threats you think give your list a hard time. Our tournament format just isn't very forgiving to generalist ships.

6 hours ago, asters89 said:

. I don't agree with epic being the fix either as if the gestalt player hivemind was focused on breaking a 300 point format, I bet they wouldn't struggle too much there either. 

THAT'S RIGHT!!  Leave my beautifully perfect version of X-Wing alone! :lol:

6 hours ago, Embir82 said:

You pay 26 pts just for a missile magnet whose only goal is to die.

I would gladly see demise of Biggs

But since you see his demise in every game, you must be very happy. :P

6 hours ago, Hexdot said:

In my game group we deploy X Wings on a regular basis and they work ok... With our House Rules of course.

3 straight is green. Veteran can equip Elite Talents and ONE of these..

1- 2 free points to invest in droids, torps or mods OR

2 - Rogue Squadron free title. If within range 3 of another squad mate gain one Evade token.

And they work fine. 

Absolutely.  T-65s need a pilot with an EPT, and would be great if they became the first ship with squad-based economy.  Flying a thematic all-X-wing list?  Yep, you get a bonus for that.

5 hours ago, eMeM said:

Oh, it's this time of the week again.

Well, until there is news about Wave XI, we are a little short on material around here.

1 hour ago, eMeM said:

An identical thread with the same points and people discussing it with the same arguments is posted every week.

Here, catch this:

U5zMOxy.png

The next time the same thread is posted, ie next week, take this card and look how many pages it will reach before you get a bingo.

We made bingo at page 2 guys! Good job we can all go home now, when this thread rolls around again next week, lets try for page 1!

11 hours ago, DeathstarII said:

This guy where I play once did Luke, Wes, and wedge, I gunned down Wes immediately and got wedge to one hull left, leaving Luke for last because he wasn't as big a priority, man was I wrong, t-65s can be brutal if left unchecked, just like z-95s, plus two agility, while people may instantly think it's dead in the water, is still pretty good

Sounds like a certain player from Swindon's Rouge Squadron list. We had a match in a double asteroids event and it was a tough nut to crack. I won the game on points but, honestly, if we'd had longer I'd have lost. Regen luke vs a k-wing with no bombs left was not going to end pretty...

Even in HotAC, Y-wings are significantly better.  (So much so that after our last campaign, we limited ourselves to starting in X-wings, and it has been really difficult.)

The X-wing needs help, for sure.  I'm just no longer super-confident in FFG's producing a fix (or series of fixes) that is both interesting and balanced.  (But the Integrated Astromech was a good first step.)

One of the reasons the X-wings performs well in HoTC is beacouse most of the oppsition are dumb PS1 TIEs that you can K-turn behind and shred to pieces using predator. Then you can switch to torpedos when in need to blow some mission critical objectives (lamdas, shields, containers, etc). The thing is that we are talking over 50 points worth on upgrades and pilot abilities. Even then, the X-wings are not the best ship for the campaing.

The problem with the X-wing as always been that it is a multirole ship so he can't he better than the more focused ones, for example: He can´'t be faster/more maneubrable than a TIE\LN or A-wing, so he has less green moves and can't have more than 2 green dice and he is also at the peak of attack power for small ships (3 dice). The only thing that could be improved and not step into other ships toes is his durability, with 1 more shield  (for both T-65 and T-70)  and a little more green (maybe 2 banks). 

2 hours ago, BlodVargarna said:

Why would anyone want a ship called the X-wing to be a viable functioning component of   the X-Wing miniatures game? 

Why would anyone want to play a game based on a Galaxy-Spanning Civil War Across the Reaches of Hyperspace as a Two Rats in a Cage Deathmatch?

(Or, if you prefer, why would you expect a multi-role fighter to do well in a format that only allows for one role?)

And before someone types gameplay>>>>>>fluff, the fact that you are playing this game because it is Star Wars-based is already fluff>>>>>>gameplay.

Edited by Darth Meanie

5 hours ago, eMeM said:

Here, catch this:

U5zMOxy.png

I hit a few of boxes by myself, I'm good at this! Unfortunately I don't have the ability to check week by week to note every single T-65 fix thread as it comes up, but next time I do, I will take that picture and use it to make sure I condescend to all those boring idiots who are stupid enough to say something that someone else has already said!

Excellent. I will notify you the next time I spot a juicy X-wing fix thread, we will have some fun together. But it's not just fun! Maybe our good work will make this forum a better place when people learn to use the search function!

6 hours ago, eMeM said:

Here, catch this:

U5zMOxy.png

This made my day. Thank you for having a sense of humor!!

8 minutes ago, eMeM said:

Excellent. I will notify you the next time I spot a juicy X-wing fix thread, we will have some fun together. But it's not just fun! Maybe our good work will make this forum a better place when people learn to use the search function!

In all seriousness, you make a fair point but when have you ever known anyone, on any forum ever, in the whole history of the internet, actually used the search function?

Spend a minute searching or 30 seconds to create a new topic.

Trouble is, if you search for a topic and comment on it, you get attacked for thread necromancy, but then if you start a new thread, a different set of people tell you that you should have searched and not started a new topic. No matter what you do, somebody is going to chide you for it.

I think they could fix the T-65 with an errata:

Integrated Astromech 

X-wing only.

When you are dealt a Damage card, you may discard 1 of your (astromech)  Upgrade cards to discard that Damage card.

{If your action bar does not have the (boost), you may reduce the squad point cost of the (astromech) by 2 points (to a minimum of zero)}

Integrated Astromech was nearly perfect. Unfortunately, it actually added in point cost as much as it gave in value. This errata would solve that problem, and give them a bit more in addition- to help them be as efficient as the Defenders now are. 

Best of all, we wouldn't have to buy anything new to get this fix. :)

7 hours ago, BlueMusketeer28 said:

Alright I'll need to stop you there, since I just took him out of the box for a long time and realized something. So I agree I don't like the "Biggs Tax," but Biggs can be an incredibly enjoyable ship to fly. His job is not to die, it is to keep other ships alive. There is a huge difference there. Biggs can be flown tactically trying to make it to end game while ensuring his friends do as well. And some cards really toughen him up. If you don't just fly him in wing he is very amusing. He CAN be a missile sponge and sometimes needs to be, but he can be much more....

Also Wes has better counter ordinance play by removing the ability to fire it at all. Just throwing that out there.