Sign in to follow this  
J Viz

Regional Squad Leader

Looking at trying out squad leader at regionals with one of 2 options:

1. 3 x GSP with PTL, Juke, AT's, Refit and Title - 72 points total

1 x GSP with PTL, Squad Leader, AT's, Refit and Title - 25 points

The idea is that they fly in formation and normally focus/evade. Hopefully the 3 with Juke will have this available when they attack and then the Squad Leader can steal them for an extra 2 dice on the attack. At PS3 it is unlikely there will be many ships left to fire so removing the tokens is low risk.

2. 2 x GSP with PTL, Juke, AT's, Refit and Title - 48 points total

1 x GSP with PTL, Juke, Refit and Title - 22 points

Jess Pava with Swarm Leader, R2-D6, IA - 29 points

With this one I lose AT's on one of the GSP's and a little survivability on my swarm leader but I gain an extra attack dice and a shed load of re-rolls for attack and defence. However, she is likely to have a large bullseye on her head and is less durable than the plucky little a-wings.

As I'm quite happy to frustrate my opponents I quite like the first one but would be interested to hear what anyone else thinks

Have you considered Snap Shot w/ Juke? Move, Evade then they move into your Snap Shots (hopefully) and you can utilize Juke on those shots. Take regular shots, then Swarm Leader w/ Jess for the big attack?

I tried it and really didn't get on with it, just kept rolling blanks and found having the evade only and trying to get my ships where the opponent would move into range 1 left them too vulnerable.

As mentioned in another thread, I'd definitly go with Jess. She's surprisingly tanky with lots of buddies around, and hits like a Death star with fully modded 5-6 dice attacks. For the extra point, primed thruster is good on her, to let her flip on a dime with T-roll and boost.

1 hour ago, JaceDK said:

As mentioned in another thread, I'd definitly go with Jess. She's surprisingly tanky with lots of buddies around, and hits like a Death star with fully modded 5-6 dice attacks. For the extra point, primed thruster is good on her, to let her flip on a dime with T-roll and boost.

Yeah, you may have inspired me on that thread with Jess. If I can borrow the required stuff (I don't have Jess or the primed thrusters or the elite droid or the primed thrusters) I may give it a punt

You could try something closer to this, it may a a tad more survivable for you, and there's 5 points left for EPT of flavor on the A-Wings.....

(95)

Green Squadron Pilot (20) - A-Wing
Push The Limit (3), Chardaan Refit (-2), A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Green Squadron Pilot (20) - A-Wing
Push The Limit (3), Chardaan Refit (-2), A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Biggs Darklighter (26) - X-Wing
R4-D6 (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

Jess Pava (29) - T-70 X-Wing
R2-D6 (1), Integrated Astromech (0), Swarm Leader (3)

That's another variation I considered, would need to add R4-D6 to the list of cards I would need to borrow but any old 1pt astromech would do the job for Biggs to a degree

I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out for you.  You and JaceDK have been posting on my Miranda/Greenies thread, and I've really come to appreciate these little A-wings.  That initial joust with either the JaceDK's or DereckSean's lists could be a lot of fun.  I'd worry about what happens after, though, keeping that range 1 synergy going.

In my experience, you actually want people to unload everything they got into Jess, since very few lists have enough firepower to burn down her 7 health behind 2 greens with rerolls. She takes a beating, fires her alpha and then ducks and weaves. Her rerolls and significant mobility usually forces the enemy to focus fire on her for another turn or two, leaving the A-wings free to do their thing. Once Jess goes down, you have 2-3 undamaged, highly evasive and mobile ships scattered in all directions to deal with. 

Here a shot from a recent tournament, showing the intial joust with Echo and two X/7s. All three enemies fire at Jess, tucked safely in the back among the rocks, with her friends providing rerolls. She only took one or two shield damage, and in return the red Defender went to 1 hull. 

2017-01-21 13.53.49.jpg

8 minutes ago, JaceDK said:

Here a shot from a recent tournament, showing the intial joust with Echo and two X/7s. All three enemies fire at Jess, tucked safely in the back among the rocks, with her friends providing rerolls. She only took one or two shield damage, and in return the red Defender went to 1 hull. 

2017-01-21 13.53.49.jpg

Nice, it was fully tokened up too

After this round, I figured he would run with the injured Defender, push in with Echo and the healthy one. My objective is to trap Echo and hit her with snaps and swarm-buffed shots before she can break away and pick me off one by one. 

Before activation, Echo decloaks left forward. The grey defender 4-k's, bumping Zeb. The red 3 turns left, running and turtles up. Zeb 2 turned, and manages to bump the red Defender. Black A-wing 5-ks, Green A-wing 1 turns left (evade), Jess 2 turns (focus).

Echo then does a 2 fwrd, is snapped and subsequently killed by Jess and the Green A-wing, since she spends her tokens trying to harm Jess and even four greens isn't enough to deal with juke, TLT and swarm leader shots.  

It's really hard to argue against that Zeb TLT Shuttle, but I keep wanting to find good alternatives to TLT because it feels like such a crutch (that I lean on heavily).  What about Tarn w/ R7?  Same PS3, you'd miss the consistent damage from the TLT and the third evade for Jess, but he'd be tanky as hell for survival after that initial dust-up.

If you dislike TLT, I strongly recommend Ion turret and Rey crew. Tarn is another good bid, but he's another arced ship with limited maneuverability. Same deal as with Airen. He'll struggle to keep up, and can't fuel swarm leader, if he has to. I really like M9-G8 on Tarn, though, if you can make it fit. 

Edited by JaceDK

1 minute ago, asters89 said:

Jess is an excellent choice for a swarm leader as her pilot ability combo's so well with swarm leader. I learn't this the hard way when I took a seven dice primary.

Where did she get the last die? Jan? Otherwise, Swarm leader maxes out at 6 (range 1 + 2 evades) for Jess. 

2 minutes ago, JaceDK said:

If you dislike TLT, I strongly recommend Ion turret and Rey crew. 

I don't dislike TLT at all.  Just trying to come up with other ideas.  I feel like everything I play (all Rebels, all the time) includes a 360 turret of some kind.  I guess it's a strength of the Rebels and I should just embrace it fully.