atkrull

Prediciting Jabba the Hutt

Any one else had the idea (after seeing the picture of cards and tokens) that Jabba is basically an extra munitions for illicit cards? Being able to use hot shot blaster, inertial dampeners, or glitterstim twice during a game?

Something along the lines of

Jabba the Hutt:

Scum only

2 crew slots - 8 points

Put an illicit token on each illicit card in your squad that requires you to discard that card after use. If the card requires you to discard that upgrade, take an illicit token off instead.

I only bring this up because mynock said there are a large amount of illicit tokens in the picture and I immediately thought extra munitions.

Yeah, illicit EM seems likely to me.  I doubt he comes in at less than 2 crew slots, which means a YV which means 35+ points spent on him, so he'd better be REALLY good for that investment, or not occupy more than one crew slot.  Scum have a lot of good crew options, and I'm not convinced re-usable illicits is worth that.

Something like choosing an enemy ship, and grants to any friend any bonus attacks on it. 

Repeat any turn. 

Because be wanted by Jabba meaning Death (exept you are Solo).

Edited by Cerve

I don't know if Jabba himself will be the Illicit EM, but with ten Illicit tokens it is very likely that some sort of IEM will show up. Here's hoping we get some Illicits that are decent enough to be worth such a potentially large investment of points. You're looking at taking a ship that can carry 1-2 crew, plus 5-8 points for Jabba, and then you have to fit in another couple of ships with worthwhile Illicits that you will actually use more than once to decent effect. It could work, but might be more trouble than useful. I'd prefer Jabba to be something similar to Palp, where he has an effect in-game rather than just a list-building effect.

3 minutes ago, Ikka said:

I don't know if Jabba himself will be the Illicit EM, but with ten Illicit tokens it is very likely that some sort of IEM will show up. Here's hoping we get some Illicits that are decent enough to be worth such a potentially large investment of points. You're looking at taking a ship that can carry 1-2 crew, plus 5-8 points for Jabba, and then you have to fit in another couple of ships with worthwhile Illicits that you will actually use more than once to decent effect. It could work, but might be more trouble than useful. I'd prefer Jabba to be something similar to Palp, where he has an effect in-game rather than just a list-building effect.

Maybe he'll have both. I'm thinking of the Light Scyk Interceptor title; it has 3 separate effects on it. Maybe Jabba will allow you to place an illicit token on each illicit upgrade in addition to doing something Palp-y.

1 hour ago, Ikka said:

Glitterstim because ... Glitterstim.

2-shot hotshot blasters on cheap ships? Palp can't protect your arc dodgers from every shot. Munitions Failsafe for more value and maybe for a few more points get Attani so you can Focus/TL to really ruin them.

Cloaking Device is a "discard" effect, now it sticks around even longer

Chaining EMP Device to keep enemies drifting one direction for two turns while the rest of your squadron rips into them from the flanks with possibly no return fire for two turns?

Yeah, I see a lot of possibilities here.

Edited by kris40k

it'll probably be

Action: place an illicit token on an equipped illicit upgrade card. when directed to discard the illicit upgrade card you may discard the illicit token instead.

(takes up to 2 crew slots, or even 3)

or could be like Gonk where an additional action

Action: place an illicit token on Jabba

Going completely away from the "Illicit" theme:

"At the start of combat, you may remove one stress token from any ship. Then, you may assign one stress token to up to two other ships."

Jabba inspires loyalty in his minions, and spreads terror among his enemies.

I really hope that FFG had the good sense to ignore everyone who has proposed that Jabba take more than 1 crew slot.

So many people proposing the same terrible idea...

That flavorful flavor is tasty, but it's not worth restricting such a potentially cool crew to 1 ship in standard play. That's design would be bush-league. 

46 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Illicit tokens could also just be for mission play 

This is very likely as well. There are a ton of mission specific tokens already, and I would expect there to be a few Scum oriented missions with the expansion that would result in their own tokens.

I am pretty confident the illicit tokens have to do with the missions in the box. No way you'd have 10x illicits in standard play to extra munition.

Jabba's ability better be unique. I'd like to see it comparable to Palp in terms of potential impact, but not a copy of Palp either.

Of course, that could just be because I like the scum so much and want to see them have more options.

The fan doesn't show a condition card, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has some sort of condition.

I really hope that FFG had the good sense to ignore everyone who has proposed that Jabba take more than 1 crew slot.

That flavorful flavor is tasty, but it's not worth restricting such a potentially cool crew to 1 ship in standard play. That's design would be bush-league. 

I felt like they made the Emperor two crew slots for balance more than anything. Like putting him on a Phantom.

Edited by Jo Jo

50 minutes ago, CBMarkham said:

Even if he's only one crew slot, he should be restricted to large-ships only. He's Jabba the Hutt. He's not going to be slumming around in a Mist Hunter or HWK-290. Even a Jumpmaster is probably questionable for him.

I agree that he should absolutely read "Huge and Large Ship Only", but for heavens sake, don't limit him to a only the YV-666 outside of Epic play. That's absurd, and the number of people who are asking for it and who think it's a good idea ...well, it's mind boggling to me.

10 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

The fan doesn't show a condition card, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has some sort of condition.

I felt like they made the Emperor two crew slots for balance more than anything. Like putting him on a Phantom.

Guess they didnt want to make him a Phantom menace

8 minutes ago, CBMarkham said:

I agree that he should absolutely read "Huge and Large Ship Only", but for heavens sake, don't limit him to a only the YV-666 outside of Epic play. That's absurd, and the number of people who are asking for it and who think it's a good idea ...well, it's mind boggling to me.

He'd only be limited to the YV-666 for now. It's probable that Scum will get another two-crew ship in the next wave or two. The Empire had basically restricted Palp to the shuttle and Decimator. That hasn't prevented him from making an impact at all, and he'll be getting a swanky new shuttle with spinning rims and chromed-out 4-dice blasters in 9 days.

22 minutes ago, CBMarkham said:

Why no hoping for more 2 crew future ships? Way better than a 1 crew slot Jabba 

While Jabba is a powerful entity in Star Wars, Prince Xizor is enormously more influential. In his appearances, he is a direct rival to Vader and orders Jabba to Coruscant for a 5 minute talk. For this reason, I think Jabba will be entirely distinct from Palpatine's mechanic (because if anyone is similar to Palpatine, its Xizor).  Jabba really is the Illicit King:

Jabba The Hutt (5, one crew slot) - Keeping Illicits is a great ability - because who doesn't want Dengar with infinite glitterstim backed up by Jabba Manaroo?

When a friendly ship is instructed to discard an [Illicit] upgrade, it may instead receive a stress token.

And perhaps for Xizor:

Prince Xizor (crew, crew, 7 points) - Palpatine-like ability that opens up the design space for Jabba a good deal.

Once per round, when a friendly ship rolls dice, you may choose one result. Add one of that result to that ships' roll. That roll cannot be modified again.

Edited by Astech

I feel like they make those pictures tiny and blurry on purpose. If you squint and zoom in though, you can see that it reads

•Jabba the Hutt

Scum only.

When you (4-5 letter word) (3-4 letter word) (4-5 letter word)

(Given spacing on margins, probably at least 5 more lines of text)

Now, the tokens - there's 10 of those illicit tokens. We can see that there's five of the blue colored card to the left of the second row (which has the cannon icon) on the card spread. So either FFG seriously thinks Jabba's ability will assign as many as ten tokens simultaneously, or each of those blue colored cannons will assign two. Then, there's the brown-colored card next to the blue cannons. That one has two copies, and given it's next to the blue cannons, might also be a cannon. And thus, that might be the reason for the weapons disabled tokens, if it is a sort of Corran Horn type double-tap ability.

So, my hypothesis is that Jabba has an extremely complicated ability that has nothing to do with illicit upgrades OR disabling weapons!

As to what it might be, I think we can all agree that Palpatine Mark 2 is not gonna be Jabba. If anybody's another Palp, it's either Xizor (as so astutely pointed out by my esteemed forum compatriot Astech), or Snoke. Jabba has always been the scummiest scum that ever scummed. That is to say, all bets are off. As I believe Joe Boss Red 7 pointed out a while back, Jabba might eat fellow crew members. However, since he might already take up two crew slots, that even further limits his options to epic ships or BOSSK (Bus Of Stupendous Size, Kills this card). Jabba could well have something to do with glitterstim... although such an ability would probably be too simple to warrant so much card text.

So what does he do? My guess is something like the other, already spoiled crew from the C-ROC. Maybe,

When you place any ship, you may discard this card to build one ship costing equal or fewer squadpoints and deploy that ship instead.

I'm not really sure. Hopefully somebody can come up with something else that fits those constraints.