patox

Who's ready for the Last Jedi expansion packs?

Whatever the next Scum epic will be, it'll come with a StarViper update. Probably one with a "production variant" title to separate it from the Virago.

What does everyone think about the likelihood of there being a Last Jedi core set? I think it's more probable than not.

My guess is we won't.  If we DID get more core sets, I think a full episode movie as opposed to a side story like rogue one is more likely, but we don't really NEED a new core set.  The TFA core set gave us a new damage deck and a lot of updated rules.  I don't feel we're sa much in need of another full update right now.  Additionally, the original core was an X-wing and 2 TIE Fighters, the TFA core included the new X-Wing and TIE Fighters from that movie.  Ep 8 is going to be the same x-wing and ties as episode 7 most likely, albeit also with new ships presumably (the spoiled a-wings at a minimum), but I don't think we'll get a core with different ships.

On the other hand, a new core set is the best way to get more players into the game, and a new Episode releas eis a good time to do that, so it's at least possible.

I doubt a full core set, as I agree with your points about the updated rules/damage deck. I do think we'll see something like a Heroes of the Resistance set for both the Resistance and the First Order, with a Large/Small ship combo or maybe three small ships. Something like the newer A-wing and a Large transport, or three First Order TIE variants.

The least likely option would be an expansion that contains ships from both factions while not being a core set. A set that contains maybe the A-wing and a new TIE, with starter rules/missions. It could very well happen, as capitalizing on the new is good business, but it wouldn't really be a great value for the core gamers.

In the initial release alongside the movie I"m only expecting a couple new ships from the movie.  Probably a new a-wing for resistance.  Dunno about imperial.  Heroes of the resistance was a different situation because it wasn't releasing new ships, it was an update for the Falcon to give us new pilots from TFA and give us more of hte named pilots they couldn't do in the original T70 release, so if we get similar packs for Ep 8 it won't be until quite ab it later.

Oh man, the title has got me a little bum.  Does it mean their going to kill Luke off?  I'm assuming Rey will become a Jedi in the movie.

Jedi is both singular and plural, so Luke my survive (besides we need Luke to keep the skywalkers alive)

Kylo Ren is a Skywalker.
He's a solo with skywalker blood in him

Which would make him part of the Skywalker family, thus a Skywalker. Besides, he could always have had his name as Solo-Skywalker, similar to how the old EU books named the kids.

Only Leia was an Organa-Solo.  The Kids were just Solos.

Whatever the next Scum epic will be, it'll come with a StarViper update. Probably one with a "production variant" title to separate it from the Virago.

What does everyone think about the likelihood of there being a Last Jedi core set? I think it's more probable than not.

My guess is we won't.  If we DID get more core sets, I think a full episode movie as opposed to a side story like rogue one is more likely, but we don't really NEED a new core set.  The TFA core set gave us a new damage deck and a lot of updated rules.  I don't feel we're sa much in need of another full update right now.  Additionally, the original core was an X-wing and 2 TIE Fighters, the TFA core included the new X-Wing and TIE Fighters from that movie.  Ep 8 is going to be the same x-wing and ties as episode 7 most likely, albeit also with new ships presumably (the spoiled a-wings at a minimum), but I don't think we'll get a core with different ships.

On the other hand, a new core set is the best way to get more players into the game, and a new Episode releas eis a good time to do that, so it's at least possible.

I doubt a full core set, as I agree with your points about the updated rules/damage deck. I do think we'll see something like a Heroes of the Resistance set for both the Resistance and the First Order, with a Large/Small ship combo or maybe three small ships. Something like the newer A-wing and a Large transport, or three First Order TIE variants.

The least likely option would be an expansion that contains ships from both factions while not being a core set. A set that contains maybe the A-wing and a new TIE, with starter rules/missions. It could very well happen, as capitalizing on the new is good business, but it wouldn't really be a great value for the core gamers.

In the initial release alongside the movie I"m only expecting a couple new ships from the movie.  Probably a new a-wing for resistance.  Dunno about imperial.  Heroes of the resistance was a different situation because it wasn't releasing new ships, it was an update for the Falcon to give us new pilots from TFA and give us more of hte named pilots they couldn't do in the original T70 release, so if we get similar packs for Ep 8 it won't be until quite ab it later.

Oh man, the title has got me a little bum.  Does it mean their going to kill Luke off?  I'm assuming Rey will become a Jedi in the movie.

Jedi is both singular and plural, so Luke my survive (besides we need Luke to keep the skywalkers alive)

Kylo Ren is a Skywalker.
He's a solo with skywalker blood in him

Which would make him part of the Skywalker family, thus a Skywalker. Besides, he could always have had his name as Solo-Skywalker, similar to how the old EU books named the kids.

Only Leia was an Organa-Solo.  The Kids were just Solos.

Ah, alright, i never really read the new Jedi order era, so my mistake

Kylo Ren is a Skywalker.

Pretty sure Kylo would identify with the Skywalker side more, as he wishes he could have played catch with his grandpa.

Well I hope it has a T-65 fix in there.

Given that it's not likely to have T-65s in it, I'm gonna say slim to none.

Saying that, I hope there isn't a Gunboat either as it will break this forum.

Think I can fairly confidently say we won't see a gunboat in x-wing unless/until it's featured in canon somewhere.

Saying that, I hope there isn't a Gunboat either as it will break this forum.

Think I can fairly confidently say we won't see a gunboat in x-wing unless/until it's featured in canon somewhere.

That reminds me it's time to bump the Gunboat thread.

- Knights of Ren Starfighter with Kylo Ren Pilot Card

- Meson Martinet Expansion pack with Sidon Ithano Pilot card

- Retrofitted N1 Starfighter with General Organa Pilot card  :P

Edited by CaptainNippon

Hopefully FFG is informed of the true nature of the new ships this time instead of what happened with the TFA core set. Not to discount it in any way, but there was so much secrecy, what can you do I suppose?

To be fair FFG had to deal with the rough cut instead of the re-shoots. So it was really hard to tell if U-wings had a side gunner or not. Directors and producers don't really care about how the model is balanced in the game, they wan't to make sure the picture looks cool.

Hopefully FFG is informed of the true nature of the new ships this time instead of what happened with the TFA core set. Not to discount it in any way, but there was so much secrecy, what can you do I suppose?

To be fair FFG had to deal with the rough cut instead of the re-shoots. So it was really hard to tell if U-wings had a side gunner or not. Directors and producers don't really care about how the model is balanced in the game, they wan't to make sure the picture looks cool.

He said TFA (where we got only poe as a named pilot in the T70, and only at PS8 when he clearly deserved to be a 9, as evidenced by the PS9 release in heroes).  not rogue one.

AirplaneJokes-0067.jpg

NOW LOOK AT WHAT YOU WENT AND DID!!!

Caps lock is a privilege, not a right. You'd best remember that.

I BEEN HERE LONG ENOUGH TO HAVE A FEW PREV-A-LEDGES...

More ship rehashes. Probably a TIE/FO Advanced.

More discarded concept art from the original trilogy recovered from a dusty box and made a new ship. Totally new designs will have silly long wings, be blocky boxes or amorphous shapes, or just boring.

Luke as Yoda, Rey as Luke, Kylo as Vader. Some forced romance (or bromance).

More motion captured CGI Snoke doing a poor uninteresting impersonation of Palpatine.

I am definitely excited!

Edited by Azrapse

The movie, I honestly couldn't care less about. TFA was godawful, and Rogue One actually annoyed me. Judging by what those two movies brought us in ships, the genuinely interesting stuff won't arrive for another 24 months anyway. We'll get the peacemeal poster ships (T70, /fo, U-wing, Striker) as a rush release - which will probably end up being another limited US release and sod everyone else until after Christmas - and the ones FFG actually get time to work on, balance, and make genuinely interesting a year later (HotR, Upsilon, Quadjumper).

So, yeah. Colour me cautious (which I think is a shade of taupe...), but the movie-timed releases aren't inspiring me anymore.