Jump to content
warchild1x

Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Eventual Spoilers)

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, DanteRotterdam said:

I thought the Poe / Hux scene was very funny and reminiscent of the “Everything is fine here, how are you?” in ANH and Grievous’ “I’ve got a call to make”. 

Also, I don’t het the hatred for Leia using a force power. It seems a bit cynical and, to be perfectly frank, sexist how people keep harping on about it. We get it, she is an old lady, and she wore a dress... but really what is so weird about someone who was force sensitive 30 years ago already using a bog standard force pull to save her life that we constantly get the other-lady-in-a-dress joke?

I said nothing sexist.  I find your comment to be nothing more than slander and I've reported you.  I was aiming the overly invested emotionally comment directly at you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t say your comment was sexist I said I find that the hatred I see “seems cynical and, quite frankly sexist how people keep harping on about it” and I supplied an example why it strikes me as such. Those were generalities not directed at you personally. 

Hence the “we constantly get” part. 

I also don’t understand your second line, at all. 

Edited by DanteRotterdam
To fix my quote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Desslok said:

Methinks the usage of the term was meant as parody (as was the whole post, really). We didnt use that back then.

Yeah, there's another similar post that's basically doing the same thing. 

Edited by StarkJunior

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DanteRotterdam said:

You didn’t ask me a question 

Ok here's a clear question referring you to your Leia comment, why do you think that it is sexist to compare Leia to Mary Poppins when she flies through space?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, DanteRotterdam said:

Jumping on the bandwagon huh? It SEEMS to me that it is placing a large emphasis on the way Carrie looks in a negative way. I also don’t think this would happen (or not on the current scale) if it had been a man. 

 

17 minutes ago, DanteRotterdam said:

And again I am not saying individuals mean it that way but the constant harping does make it feel that way to me. 

Something seeming to be, and feeling to be, doesn't mean it actually is.  Perception is not reality.

That being said, as someone who doesn't really have a problem with the Flying Leia scene (at least not with her specifically), I do think the posture they put her in, given her outfit, made it look very silly.   Nevermind it was obviously cgi, but the way she had her hand out, and the way she was leaning, and her legs, and the flow of the fabric of her clothes, totally took me out of what was meant to be a powerful, dramatic moment.   I was suddenly just thinking "wow, that looks really bad, they should've taken another crack at the design for that sequence"

I didn't make the Marry Poppins comparison, simply because I've never watched that movie, as it's a musical, and I hate those, but I can see the reason behind it.   Considering the character is a beloved icon of cinema for decades, and the character was a very self-actualized, empowered woman, I don't think it's sexist to compare them, assuming you are using sexist in this context to mean she is somehow lessened by it.   Mary Poppins was a woman who took zero sh** from anyone, and basically whipped everyone around her to her line of thinking, from what I understand of the plot, and the clips I've seen.  Given Leia's personality, that's an apt comparison.

Mary Poppins also looked  really silly holding up that umbrella and "flying" through the air on wires, so did Leia.  The two states of "Mary Poppins was cool for a lot of people" and "Mary Poppins also looked kind of silly" aren't mutually exclusive.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what if they filmed it from within the ship?

The bridge ruptures everyone in reach swept out before the internal doors slam shut.

Nearest inside runs to gaze at the devastation they notice Leia floating back inside they don whatever they need to seal their Vacc Suit and with help pull her inside.

They quickly realise she's still alive rushing her to the medical bay and a ready bacta tank it's only after does it sink in what they witnessed.

Seriously though why aren't they wearing Vacc suits?

Edited by copperbell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason people feel it comes from a point of sexism is because the loudest voices of hate on anything post-Disney's acquisition of Star Wars have been those of people who have made such claims as "Star Wars is for men", "too many women and persons of color [not the word they used, but I'm not an *******] in Star Wars", and the people who made edits to Rose Tico's Wookiepedia page to display racist comments.

Also, people don't complain this loudly when men do things mildly ridiculous, is the point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, copperbell said:

Seriously though why aren't they wearing Vacc suits?

Plot shortcut.  Otherwise they'd have to make suiting up a thing, build an airlock set, and turn it into a much bigger deal.  I just assumed she made it inside an airlock or force field barrier and the scene picked up from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do like the idea behind Canto Blight, I just feel the really poor writing and it's ultimate direction doesn't help.

For me I feel he should have cut back on making Luke & Rey the centre of attention and focused on Finn & Rose with the Resistance hiding out within an asteroid belt desperately trying to access a hidden refinery and supplies outpost maybe reusing Fort Anaxes from Rebels?

Rather than DJ revealing their plan, Finn is captured and used to draw Rey ala ESB with their efforts aided by a fifth column inside the First Order demonstrating Finn isn't the only one like they think Luke is the Last Jedi!

Yes it's called the Last Jedi and we do get more Luke but this is about the First Order's irrational fear of Luke and how so focused they are they like Tarkin have forgotten the most dangerous part of the Jedi is their capacity to inspire others even when not physically present!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, StarkJunior said:

Also, people don't complain this loudly when men do things mildly ridiculous, is the point. 

BS.  I made fun of the Hux/Poe Verizon ad exchange in the very same post.

I've made fun of the Luke sea cow scene.

I've made fun of the soldier tasting dirt on planet Fantasia.

People have very consistently made fun of  many aspects of this movie in this thread.  There hasn't been a drip of sexism.  Maelora is the one who coined the Mary Poppins reference, is she a sexist?  This is just another example of how people get upset and they run to the new socially acceptable scarlet letters whenever someone says or types something they don't like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't specifically say anyone here was doing it in this thread (and for that matter I don't think anyone here is being that way, at all), but if you've been active anywhere on the internet beyond here in the past - well, probably forever, but it's just louder now that it's been 'normalized' by a large chunk of the US and its discourse - there is a loud, angry, hateful group of men who get violently upset anytime a white man doesn't get to be the main character and complain when women or people of color (or LGBTQ+ individuals, ect.) do anything or get any sort of attention in media.

There's a difference between poking fun at a scene and being so buttmad with something that your complaints turn into vandalizing a wiki page for a fictional character with racist words and comments simply because they aren't a white person. And we don't get internet campaigns to label a character a Mary Sue (as has been done with Rey) when we deal with people who have equivalent aspects and they happen to be men. I also think @DanteRotterdam's comment was just a passing observation of the talk being had outside of this site, and not a specific comment at anyone here.

But, I'm not going to argue something that's evident in general media consumption and has infected most fandoms with bigoted bile, so this is all I'll say in regards to this specific point.

Edited by StarkJunior

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, 2P51 said:

BS.  I made fun of the Hux/Poe Verizon ad exchange in the very same post.

I've made fun of the Luke sea cow scene.

I've made fun of the soldier tasting dirt on planet Fantasia.

People have very consistently made fun of  many aspects of this movie in this thread.  There hasn't been a drip of sexism.  Maelora is the one who coined the Mary Poppins reference, is she a sexist?  This is just another example of how people get upset and they run to the new socially acceptable scarlet letters whenever someone says or types something they don't like.

Again dude, I wasn’t having a go at you. 

I thought my careful choice of words made this clear.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, StarkJunior said:

I also think @DanteRotterdam's comment was just a passing observation of the talk being had outside of this site, and not a specific comment at anyone here  

Thanks. That was 100% what I meant. I was talking about my total experience in this matter not what I encountered here and I thought it would have been abundantly clear from my phrasing. 

Don’t forget many of us here are foreigners so subtlety is not our strongest suit at times. I figured my point was obvious so if it wasn’t then I apologize. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since both Dante and Norr got tripped up back to back, this seems relevant:

Quote

Poe's law

Avoid sarcasm and facetious remarks.

Without the voice inflection and body language of personal communication these are easily misinterpreted. A sideways smile, :-), has become widely accepted on the net as an indication that "I'm only kidding". If you submit a satiric item without this symbol, no matter how obvious the satire is to you, do not be surprised if people take it seriously.

Remember kids, it's all fun and games until someone forgets a (:

Edited by Desslok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Desslok said:

Since both Dante and Norr got tripped up back to back, this seems relevant:

Remember kids, it's all fun and games until someone forgets a (:

I knew the bit was new and recognized it as a poe this morning when I saw it on Facebook.  I thought Norr was playing along. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KungFuFerret said:

 

Something seeming to be, and feeling to be, doesn't mean it actually is.  Perception is not reality.

That being said, as someone who doesn't really have a problem with the Flying Leia scene (at least not with her specifically), I do think the posture they put her in, given her outfit, made it look very silly.   Nevermind it was obviously cgi, but the way she had her hand out, and the way she was leaning, and her legs, and the flow of the fabric of her clothes, totally took me out of what was meant to be a powerful, dramatic moment.   I was suddenly just thinking "wow, that looks really bad, they should've taken another crack at the design for that sequence"

I didn't make the Marry Poppins comparison, simply because I've never watched that movie, as it's a musical, and I hate those, but I can see the reason behind it.   Considering the character is a beloved icon of cinema for decades, and the character was a very self-actualized, empowered woman, I don't think it's sexist to compare them, assuming you are using sexist in this context to mean she is somehow lessened by it.   Mary Poppins was a woman who took zero sh** from anyone, and basically whipped everyone around her to her line of thinking, from what I understand of the plot, and the clips I've seen.  Given Leia's personality, that's an apt comparison.

Mary Poppins also looked  really silly holding up that umbrella and "flying" through the air on wires, so did Leia.  The two states of "Mary Poppins was cool for a lot of people" and "Mary Poppins also looked kind of silly" aren't mutually exclusive.

 

awesome congratulations GIF by Slanted Studios

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, splad said:

Mary Poppins also looked  really silly holding up that umbrella and "flying" through the air on wires, so did Leia.  The two states of "Mary Poppins was cool for a lot of people" and "Mary Poppins also looked kind of silly" aren't mutually exclusive.

Or you could embrace the F out of the silly, y'all:

 

 

Edited by Desslok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...