warchild1x

Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Eventual Spoilers)

3 minutes ago, SEApocalypse said:

Did you just say ******* plagiarized? You are dead to me. Dead. 

Plagiarized, influenced whichever lol. Lucas has admitted that he drew a lot from that movie especially the characters of c3po and r2d2

Edited by splad

3 minutes ago, splad said:

I know Lucas plagiarized a number of movies and themes.

Plagiarized is probably the wrong word. Plagiarized is Roger Corman going "Holy crap! Jaws made a ton of cash! Hey, Joe Dante - here's half a million bucks, go make me a movie with killer Piranha and have it on my desk in 5 weeks. And being me some change!" 

I can think of movies that George was inspired by sure, and that there were some characters that drew upon the same archetypes as other works, but not anything that matches close enough that someone would sue over.

35 minutes ago, splad said:

Plagiarized, influenced whichever lol

No, not whatever. There is a fundamental difference and honestly, now I am actually mad. Everything before was just trying to help you in my charming, mocking ways combined with a large dash of bewilderment about your position and curiosity how you came to your conclusions. 

But calling art just some piece of plagiarized work. Yes, I was mad. But you know what? Whatever dude, that's your opinion, enjoy it. 

74025091385f1602e278bc9bf44edf40--magazi 

1928934626.jpg

Edited by SEApocalypse

4 minutes ago, Desslok said:

Plagiarized is probably the wrong word. Plagiarized is Roger Corman going "Holy crap! Jaws made a ton of cash! Hey, Joe Dante - here's half a million bucks, go make me a movie with killer Piranha and have it on my desk in 5 weeks. And being me some change!" 

I can think of movies that George was inspired by sure, and that there were some characters that drew upon the same archetypes as other works, but not anything that matches close enough that someone would sue over.

Obviously not close enough facsimile to be hey that's a carbon copy of that movie not by a long shot.

1 minute ago, SEApocalypse said:

No, not whatever. There is a fundamental difference and honestly, now I am actually mad. Everything before was just trying to help you in my charming, mocking ways combined with a large dash of bewilderment about your position and curiosity how you came to your conclusions. 

But calling art just some piece of plagiarized work. Yes, I was mad. But you know what? Whatever dude, that's your opinion, enjoy it. 

Don't get touchy I'm sure your robust humor will survive. Whichever I will reappraise the last Jedi this Sunday

2 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Yeah, if you want to talk plagiarism, shift focus over to the comics world, and Rob Liefeld’s body of work.

Don't know him. Will have a quick duckduck for him

Finally plowed through this thread. I thoroughly enjoyed this film for all its deconstructionism. Awesome. Some of my thoughts.

• Luke tossing the saber over the shoulder just made me laugh. And I loved Luke at the end.
  • Loved all the characters and their arcs. Much of what I liked has been discussed.
  • This has been mentioned but I got this feeling as I left after the first viewing (seen it twice now) that this trilogy is also ushering out the big three. Han dying in TFA, Luke dying in TLJ, and I think Leia was supposed to die in IX. Unfortunately Carrie's passing would call for some changes to IX.
  • I get the feeling Luke will be back in IX. Only rather as a mentoring Force Ghost he will haunt Kylo.
  • I look forward to seeing where the franchise goes in the future.
  • My second viewing was in 2D and I have to say I enjoyed it much more than the 3D. Picked up on many things that I missed with 3D.

1 minute ago, Desslok said:

Did someone say  Rob Liefeld's body?

Liefeldcaptainamerica.jpg

Well, you can tell that’s not one of his plagiarized works, because the knowledge of basic anatomy is even worse than normal. But later down the line (after getting fired from Captain America) is when he really made a blatant swipe that landed him in court.

25 minutes ago, mouthymerc said:
  • I get the feeling Luke will be back in IX. Only rather as a mentoring Force Ghost he will haunt Kylo.

I think that would happen IF Johnson would doing the 3rd one, unfortunately he does not and one of the co-writers for 9 already told us that he did not like the direction from Johnson. 
Besides, as the deconstruction does re-construct the mythos in the 3rd act again imho, he would most likely not only haunt Kylo Ren, but actually mentoring him that way, bringing the story full circle. 

Edited by SEApocalypse

2 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Well, you can tell that’s not one of his plagiarized works, because the knowledge of basic anatomy is even worse than normal. But later down the line (after getting fired from Captain America) is when he really made a blatant swipe that landed him in court.

**** just did a quick overview of Rob, **** he's notorious. I did see some of his artwork in the 90s, yuh I get it lol

Oh, I hadnt heard about Rob getting sued. Mind you, he's pretty much off my radar unless huge pecs or massive amounts of pouches come up in conversation. Will have to read up on that.

@splad, Rob was (is?) a comic writer from the late 90's who has a . . . um, how shall we say, tenuous grasp on human anatomy, a love for military hardware and pouches and pretty sticky fingers. That drawing of Cap? Yeah, that was actually published. In a comic book. That people paid money for. Really.

This should bring you up to speed

5 minutes ago, Desslok said:

Oh, I hadnt heard about Rob getting sued. Mind you, he's pretty much off my radar unless huge pecs or massive amounts of pouches come up in conversation. Will have to read up on that.

@splad, Rob was (is?) a comic writer from the late 90's who has a . . . um, how shall we say, tenuous grasp on human anatomy, a love for military hardware and pouches and pretty sticky fingers. That drawing of Cap? Yeah, that was actually published. In a comic book. That people paid money for. Really.

This should bring you up to speed

Haha funny. Allot of that boobs and *** shot was going on with females with their costumes looked like they needed a team of servants to stretch out for the women to get into just look at mean Gray in the x factor in the 90s. Good synopsis ty

1 minute ago, Desslok said:

Short version:

When Marvel fired him from the “Heroes Reborn” project, he took the unpublished Cap pages he’d finished and planned to use them to launch a book with the art slightly altered and an “original” patriotic hero. Marvel sued. Liefeld quickly purchased the rights to Kirby’s Fighting American and tried to get it through that way. As I recall, the court mandated ways that Liefeld’s version of the Fighting American had to differ from Captain America, such as he couldn’t use his shield (which I think was now adorned with blades along the edge :unsure: ) as a weapon, etc.

7 minutes ago, SEApocalypse said:

I think that would happen IF Johnson would doing the 3rd one, unfortunately he does not and one of the co-writers for 9 already told us that he did not like the direction from Johnson. 

That would be disappointing. I like the idea of moving beyond the Skywalkers and I hope they do so. It was one of the reasons I ignored a majority of the EU because it followed the Skywalker/Solos so closely. This was why I enjoyed novels that explored other characters and aspects. i would much rather see more exposition on the new characters.

16 minutes ago, SEApocalypse said:

Besides, as the deconstruction does re-constructs the mythos in the 3rd act again imho, he would most likely not only haunt Kylo Ren, but actually mentoring him that way, bringing the story full circle. 

How many of those types of decisions are up to the writers of IX, and how many are up to the LFL story group, though?

4 minutes ago, mouthymerc said:

That would be disappointing. I like the idea of moving beyond the Skywalkers and I hope they do so. It was one of the reasons I ignored a majority of the EU because it followed the Skywalker/Solos so closely. This was why I enjoyed novels that explored other characters and aspects. i would much rather see more exposition on the new characters.

What Johnson IS making is a new trilogy, which should get by completely without the skywalkers, considering that the current trilogy seem to be a farewell party to the old cast, I would not mind to see Luke once more as Force Ghost. 

7 minutes ago, mouthymerc said:

It was my understanding the saga was about the Skywalkers. Though their is plenty of potential material for new sagas. The xwing novels were a good side line I would enjoy being explored like some ww2 battle of Britain epic or dam busters. So much good stuff yet to be mined

21 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Hasn’t happened to any of Rob’s “creations,” though. :P

True. Unlike Todd and Jim, his creations have no staying power. His big claim to fame is ripping off Deathstroke therefore giving him a blink and you miss it cameo in the movie.