warchild1x

Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Eventual Spoilers)

16 minutes ago, StarkJunior said:

Hey, at least we didn't get that nonsense from the EU where everything Palpatine did was to prepare for the Yuuzhan Vong. Blech.

Never read much of the EU.  I read the Thrawn trilogy, and considered it shite, never really looked back :D  

Read a few of the comic books from the Old Republic era stuff for a bit, but lost interest in those too.

48 minutes ago, TrainedMunkey said:

Apparently it hasn't. There will be a Skywalker around for the next movie at least. The best actor and perhaps the best character still in the series.

It's clear Carrie/Leia was going to be a major Force player and she passed away, so I think it's a given Force ghost Luke and maybe others will have to have their involvement dialed up significantly I think.

6 minutes ago, StarkJunior said:

Most of it is garbage, at least the books and comics, so you're not missing much. A few hidden gems (I love Shadows of the Empire), but overall, I'm glad most of it hasn't come back into canon as it was in the EU.

Yeah, it's kind of funny to me.  I mean, I am by no means, an uber Star Wars fan, if by that classification you mean the kind of fan that has read EVERYTHING, has memorized floorplans for various ship layouts, and can tell you without referencing anything, what planet X person was on in relation to the events of Before/After Yavin kind of stuff.

But I can pretty much quote the OT verbatim while I'm watching it.    Which is funny to me, because some people I know look at ME weird, as some SW nerd, and then I think to the people that eclipse me.  

So much time and effort invested into this fantasy story in space.

1 minute ago, 2P51 said:

It's clear Carrie/Leia was going to be a major Force player and she passed away, so I think it's a given Force ghost Luke and maybe others will have to have their involvement dialed up significantly I think.

This does pose an interesting question though, if Rey isn't a Skywalker, and barring them introducing a bastard child somewhere down the line, the only person who could continue the Skywalker family line, is Kylo Ren.

So now the question is, will Disney actually let that marketable name die?  Considering the bait and switch they did with Last Jedi not actually being about the Jedi ending at all, and the amount of money they dumped into this franchise, I don't think so.   Even if Skywalkers don't stay the focus of the story, and perhaps take a sideroll for a while, it does then ask the question : "So will Kylo get redeemed if only to allow for the continuation of children?" 

Because while they could let him have a lover while evil, it does add some layers of potential ickiness to it, given how wonderfully creepy Kylo Ren is.

So my theory, is that he will be redeemed when it's all over, perhaps when he learns that his mother didn't die in their attack on the ship, and then it will open up the potential for some more Skywalkers down the line.

Because say what you will about whether you like the story of Star Wars having a family it follows (hardly the first to do this, Lord of the Rings had the Baggins, Shannara had the...well the Shannaras, etc), I just don't see, from a business model, Disney letting the Skywalkers die out genetically.

I just, yeah I can't see it.

11 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

So much time and effort invested into this fantasy story in space.

It is quite shocking when you think about it... how much of our lives have been eaten discussing the pros and cons of this story :)

Of course it also shows just what a powerful grip it has.

And I will say thank goodness for the RPG. It lets us tell stories that align with our desires instead of hoping that some other person(s) will deliver the goods.

58 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

Yes, that dreaded Palpatine Skywalker guy, manipulating everything and plunging the galaxy into civil war so he could gain control of all of it.   If only he hadn't been a Skywalker everything would've been fine.  Oh wait, he wasn't a Skywalker, and was the puppet master for all of it :P  

Palpatine is Anakins Father ^_^

21 minutes ago, robus said:

Another bit in the mvoie that bugged me, Chewie’s roasted porg was way too tidy. Looked like a plastic prop... heck I’m a vegetarian and even I didn’t buy it! :)

I'm more disturbed by Snoke's Hugh Hefner smoking jacket. "Well hello, ladies. Would you like a martini?"

I don’t think I’m going to see this one. I’ve seen so many divided opinions not only here, but on other forums, and in official reviews that it’s no longer something I feel I need to see in theater.

That’s saying a lot for me. 

I think I’ll wait until Disney puts it on Netflix and maybe I’ll let you know how I feel about it then. Eveyone knows I thoroughly dislike Disney anyway, and if Filoni wasn’t helping no wonder there’s issues. 

Sorry, folks, but I like my Star Wars as Star Wars, not a Disney flick. And from what I’ve read about the force in TLJ they’ve taken away most of what made it special for me: it’s subtlety and mysticism.

2 minutes ago, Vestij Jai Galaar said:

Sorry, folks, but I like my Star Wars as Star Wars, not a Disney flick. And from what I’ve read about the force in TLJ they’ve taken away most of what made it special for me: it’s subtlety and mysticism.

Eh, having seen it, I would disagree that it's lacking subtlety and mysticism, I think that mostly depends on who you are talking to.  In fact all the stuff of Rey and Luke on the island was very mystic in nature, talking about the Force and stuff, and how it connected to the universe and Force users.

But, YMMV.   

8 minutes ago, Vestij Jai Galaar said:

The movie leans heavily into those, actually.

27 minutes ago, Vestij Jai Galaar said:

I like my Star Wars as Star Wars, not a Disney flick.

While I can't refute something as ill-defined as a "disney flick", it was very much a Star Wars flick. Lots of pew-pew-pew and laser swords, improvised plans, good guys wearing white hats, bad guys wearing black hats all sprinkled with some loosely zen mysticism. It just also happens to deconstruct some of those Star Wars tropes along the way.

34 minutes ago, Vestij Jai Galaar said:

I think I’ll wait until Disney puts it on Netflix and maybe …

So basically never, because disney is not bringing stuff anymore to netflix, they are actually pulling their stuff from there to put it onto their new streaming platform. :D

8 minutes ago, SEApocalypse said:

So basically never, because disney is not bringing stuff anymore to netflix, they are actually pulling their stuff from there to put it onto their new streaming platform. :D

Beat me to it. :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Stan Fresh said:

So I only repeated the part of your comment that supports the narrative that I want, I hope that's alright.

I am not going to collate the evidence that this is a bad movie do it yourself, deal. But feel free to spew your wet diatribe til your hearts content:)

2 minutes ago, splad said:

I am not going to collate the evidence that this is a bad movie do it yourself, deal. But feel free to spew your wet diatribe til your hearts content:)

Considering there’s even a fair number of the people on this forum who didn’t like it saying variations on, “It was a good movie, it just wasn’t an effective Star Wars movie,” you might want to look into performing that collation after all.

Even if doing so is moving the goalposts on the point Stan was making.

1 minute ago, Nytwyng said:

Considering there’s even a fair number of the people on this forum who didn’t like it saying variations on, “It was a good movie, it just wasn’t an effective Star Wars movie,” you might want to look into performing that collation after all.

Even if doing so is moving the goalposts on the point Stan was making.

I understand what you are saying but as life long fan of the movie its the only objective take i can make when reviewing the movie. The people who i know who said the movie was good seem to be lesser fans of the franchise and are not so invested in the direction of the franchise. I acknowledge all that but i can only see it as failed Star Wars story. Even the prequels felt more in the vein of the original trilogy to me.

Also, you know, there's more evidence (polls and such) to suggest that people actually do like the film, even as a Star Wars film, rather than the other way around. It's just negative voices are almost always louder, because most people (the general moviegoing public) don't go to niche fan forums or feel the need to write diatribes on why something is awesome - unlike people who write rants on why things are garbage.

We do live during a time where negativity is the norm, after all.

Just now, StarkJunior said:

We do live during a time where negativity is the norm, after all.

I doubt this is specific to our time. Crack open some ancient text and you'll read about how kids today have no respect for their elders, and how the kingdom is going to ****, and how everything used to be better when the writer was young.

Just now, Stan Fresh said:

I doubt this is specific to our time. Crack open some ancient text and you'll read about how kids today have no respect for their elders, and how the kingdom is going to ****, and how everything used to be better when the writer was young.

Agreed. It's probably just more accessible.

I remember when being a fan of something meant you liked it - I wouldn't count the people who liked the film as 'lesser fan', or even use that term, because it's ****. I mean, this is the defining Star Wars for so many young people, and you can see the love there. It's so cool. I was a young person when the prequels were coming out and they were my defining Star Wars - I love seeing the look on the new generations of fans. One of the best parts of being older now.

5 minutes ago, Stan Fresh said:

That's fair - I suppose I should say, we live in a time where the loud negative minority is given a broader and largely free platform to be negative.

Edited by StarkJunior