warchild1x

Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Eventual Spoilers)

Just now, Norr-Saba said:

I think this really hits the nail on the head kff on why some of these discussions can get so heated, espeacially when you referenced sports fans. 

There is an excellent you tube series that examines this process and I believe it is called nerd complicity with hupermasculinity, Talks about this kind of behavior a bit. 

Oh yeah I'm sure there are tons of discussions about it :)  Personally I think all types of people are prone to this type of behavior, for any number of topics.  Music, art, literature, movies, etc.   It's all got the capacity to become important to a slice of people to an unhealthy degree.   And it's not just a masculinity thing.  I've known a few fan girls who lose their shite if you dare to question their waifu or husbandos, or dare to question their shipping choices in various things.   I just think the sports angle is the easiest, and most visibly similar option when making comparisons.  Even if you don't follow sports (like me), you've at least seen bits of ESPN, and the crazy antics of sports fanatics, and can see a parallel.   

But yeah, it's all up for fanaticism.  

14 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

Even if you don't follow sports (like me), you've at least seen bits of ESPN, and the crazy antics of sports fanatics, and can see a parallel.

And that's just NFL Football. If you go outside the borders of North America, FIFA Football is a religion. As in physically attacking other opposing fans in a riot. You want a heartbreaking documentary, go check out Forever Pure, the documentary about the Beitar Jerusalem Football Club and how the supporters club La Familia completely lost their goddamned minds when two Muslim players came to the team.

Edited by Desslok

One of the greatest things about the new trilogy - and this new era of Star Wars, really - is that I see a lot of people who previously didn't think Star Wars was for them because of ugly gatekeeping and gross **** like that are now embracing it because they can finally find themselves in the mythos, and that's awesome.

Edited by StarkJunior

6 minutes ago, Desslok said:

And that's just NFL Football.

Well I was referring to sports in general, but yeah :P   I'm not sure, but I could swear ESPN shows other stuff than just American Football right?  I assumed it did at least.  

39 minutes ago, Desslok said:

The other thing to consider? The three day weekend coming up. I'll bet that we'll see a spike in the box office numbers on Christmas itself and some good returns over the christmas break. 

Christmas is traditionally one of the biggest movie-going days of the year (along with Thanksgiving), so there’s definitely that. (I know that at least my son and I will be seeing it again next week when my dad is in town. My wife’s going will depend on her work schedule.)

It seems counter-intuitive, but the prevailing wisdom is that, on those days, everyone is tired of dealing with family and go to the movies.

6 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Christmas is traditionally one of the biggest movie-going days of the year (along with Thanksgiving), so there’s definitely that. (I know that at least my son and I will be seeing it again next week when my dad is in town. My wife’s going will depend on her work schedule.)

It seems counter-intuitive, but the prevailing wisdom is that, on those days, everyone is tired of dealing with family and go to the movies.

Kind of like how the Star Wars galaxy has had enough of the Skywalker's ****. :lol:

31 minutes ago, StarkJunior said:

See my post at the top of the previous page. I'm so, so tired and sick of people using Mark to justify a narrative, when he himself has come out multiple times and stated that's not how he feels.

It supports the narrative it's not the whole narrative and quite honestly it doesn't bother me what doesn't agree with you tbh

7 minutes ago, StarkJunior said:

Kind of like how the Star Wars galaxy has had enough of the Skywalker's ****. :lol:

Apparently it hasn't. There will be a Skywalker around for the next movie at least. The best actor and perhaps the best character still in the series.

6 minutes ago, TrainedMunkey said:

Apparently it hasn't. There will be a Skywalker around for the next movie at least. The best actor and perhaps the best character still in the series.

I know that. It's a joke. There's a meme that's like "If you boil it down, the entire Star Wars saga is about one family running around and ******* up the galaxy" - I love Kylo's character (though Rey is my favorite of the new trilogy), so I enjoy that they still have a Skywalker, but I can laugh at the joke.

Edited by StarkJunior

6 minutes ago, StarkJunior said:

I know that. It's a joke. There's a meme that's like "If you boil it down, the entire Star Wars saga is about one family running around and ******* up the galaxy" -

Yes, that dreaded Palpatine Skywalker guy, manipulating everything and plunging the galaxy into civil war so he could gain control of all of it.   If only he hadn't been a Skywalker everything would've been fine.  Oh wait, he wasn't a Skywalker, and was the puppet master for all of it :P  

5 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

Yes, that dreaded Palpatine Skywalker guy, manipulating everything and plunging the galaxy into civil war so he could gain control of all of it.   If only he hadn't been a Skywalker everything would've been fine.  Oh wait, he wasn't a Skywalker, and was the puppet master for all of it :P  

Wouldn't it technically be Plagueis, since he Space Jesus'd Anakin? Look, man, memes aren't known for accuracy. I work with what I've got.

2 minutes ago, StarkJunior said:

Wouldn't it technically be Plagueis, since he Space Jesus'd Anakin? Look, man, memes aren't known for accuracy. I work with what I've got.

I don't know, I'm not checking your work like a teacher.  Just pointing out that, in the continuous debate about things like "The Jedi destroyed the Republic!" and "Skywalkers destroyed the galaxy", everyone seems to forget, you know, THE EMPEROR.  The behind the scenes mastermind that plunged the galaxy into war through his own machinations, and who was the owner of the guard dog that was Vader.    If any one person deserves the blame, it's him ultimately.  Sure Vader didn't help, but it's hardly the fault of his family that they tried to fix the mess started by somebody from before they were born.  :P  

5 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

I don't know, I'm not checking your work like a teacher.  Just pointing out that, in the continuous debate about things like "The Jedi destroyed the Republic!" and "Skywalkers destroyed the galaxy", everyone seems to forget, you know, THE EMPEROR.  The behind the scenes mastermind that plunged the galaxy into war through his own machinations, and who was the owner of the guard dog that was Vader.    If any one person deserves the blame, it's him ultimately.  Sure Vader didn't help, but it's hardly the fault of his family that they tried to fix the mess started by somebody from before they were born.  :P  

Hey, at least we didn't get that nonsense from the EU where everything Palpatine did was to prepare for the Yuuzhan Vong. Blech.

To me it comes down to the fact that they didn't deal with the transition in generations well. As a young Munkey I saw Star Wars in the theater several times and the way they dealt with the transition just hit me wrong. He didn't go out like Luke Skywalker Jedi Master, my opinion, which differ's from many of your opinions and Rian Johnson's. I am a Lucas Star Wars guy I guess. I have never tried to bar entry into the Star Wars club. I have done the opposite. Unfortunately tastes have changed in movie goers and the original trilogy doesn't have the same mass appeal. I am hoping that other generations have found their Star Wars in this new direction. I want Star Wars to beloved and cherished for many more years. My oldest daughter has finally found her Star Wars. She wants a ring like broom boy had for Christmas. This makes a slightly middle aged Munkey very happy, even if I didn't enjoy the new humor or direction.

Just now, StarkJunior said:

Hey, at least we didn't get that nonsense from the EU where everything Palpatine did was to prepare for the Yuuzhan Vong. Blech.

That's what Thrawn claiming to do in Zahn's novel about him, though.

I almost vomited right there.

40 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

Well I was referring to sports in general, but yeah :P   I'm not sure, but I could swear ESPN shows other stuff than just American Football right?  I assumed it did at least.  

You are asking the wrong person. I live in Seattle, and judging by the 12 man flags everywhere, if you are not down with the Seahawks, then you aint ****.