warchild1x

Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Eventual Spoilers)

Agreed on the positive reviews... I have a few friends in the industry who saw it.

There were tears.

Sweet, salty tears.

Definitely waaay better than the last one... or so I'm told. Apparently, the new trilogy is in good hands.

4 hours ago, 2P51 said:

Good sign

While I don't instantly discount what Rotten Tomatoes has to say, we just have to keep in mind that with a review aggregate, you could wind up with a Rated Fresh movie with 90% "meh, it was okay" C and C+ reviews, like what happened with Ghostbusters.

2 hours ago, Desslok said:

While I don't instantly discount what Rotten Tomatoes has to say, we just have to keep in mind that with a review aggregate, you could wind up with a Rated Fresh movie with 90% "meh, it was okay" C and C+ reviews, like what happened with Ghostbusters.

I did say good sign, not guarantee.  I felt the same way about Fury Road, except I thought was a god awful hot mess and not just 'meh'.

7 hours ago, Desslok said:

Hey now - I will not hear an unkind word about Forrest Tucker, Bob Burns and Larry Storch! That show was awesome!

I didn’t say otherwise. Just saying that those are the only options when talking about Ghostbusters. Fortunately, no ome has tried to remake either. If they did, they’d probably botch it with a horrible script and decidedly unfunny cast. :P

By the way, if you've ever wondered what Porg tastes like. . . .

Project Manager of Distance Learning in Bird Biology, Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Well, I’ve never eaten puffin. I’m not sure taste is predictable.

Except I’d say porgs wouldn’t taste like chicken. Chickens and related birds are odd that their flight muscles are fast-twitch fibers (the white meat) that work explosively for sprints and operate without added oxygen (anaerobic). Fast and furious. But, they need time to recharge after a sprint (recover oxygen and get rid of the lactic acid produced). There is not as much blood flow through the fast-twitch muscles as slow-twitch muscles, which are darker red in appearance (the dark meat). Slow-twitch muscles work for long periods of time and need oxygen from blood flow to keep them operating. So, fast-twitch muscle (white meat) has less blood, and has a more delicate flavor than slow-twitch muscle (dark meat).

Most flying birds have deep red muscle that allows them to fly large distances. They typically taste more like liver than chicken (plus a gamey flavor).

It’s hard to say what a porg’s lifestyle is from the brief clips I’ve seen. But, if they’re supposed to be seabirds and can fly, then they’re probably all slow-twitch muscle, just like real seabirds. Swimming and flying takes constant effort. Living in the ocean means probably eating smaller ocean-going life, which on Earth usually means fish at some level. Many birds that eat mostly fish tend to taste fishy (or so I’ve heard).

So, I would think there’s a good chance porgs would be dense, dark red meat tasting like goose or liver with a gamey and fishy edge.

So how would you cook Porg?

Whitney Reynolds

Freelance food writer, Eater

It seems that Rian Johnson says that porgs are the Star Wars version of puffins, and they have something akin to wings and apparently are nesting creatures. But their lack of beaks and mammalian teeth make me not want to assume that they’d have a fully poultry taste. I suspect they’d taste something more like the guinea pig eaten in South America, or like rabbit.

In any case I would assume a lot of dark meat on the animal, and might end up tasting like a sort of gamey pastrami. I’d suggest cooking porg mostly in stews or long braises, though a few spit-roasted porgs might be good for an outdoor party, if you can get the skin crispy enough.

I just saw the movie.

Here is some specific yet annoyingly vague spoilers for you

I'm warning you.

.Luke Skywalker looks boss brushing dust of his shoulder.

Rey's parents were worthless and better off nameless.

.Captain phasma dies. Again.

Kylo Ren is a serial abuser of Force Choke.

Disney has a very subtle meta commentary on the EU novels. It's a real burn.

They go looking for James Bond on Canto Bight. They get a backstabbing dirtbag instead.

I also just saw the movie. Personally I really liked it. There were some nice nods to earlier movies. The movie also took some bold risks, and I liked it. Last third of movie was IMO bit too action packed, and some humour was a bit out of the place, and easy to forget (I remember there were many jokes, but have already forgotten most of those). There were also some actions which almost broke the fourth wall, and that may annoy some viewers. There were also at least one character I hated at the beginning, but loved at the end.

Only Spoiler I will give, is that there is a dedication to "our princess" in end credits.

In my books this movie is definitely better than The Force Awakens. Personally I put it in same level than OT.

4 minutes ago, kkuja said:

Only Spoiler I will give, is that there is a dedication to "our princess" in end credits.

I was wondering how they would handle this. At the beginning wouldn't fit with the flow of the movie, buried at the end everyone would miss it - unless Disney has trained the audience well enough to wait for the Stinger at the end.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm ducking out of the thread until tomorrow when I can join the ranks of the spoilers and not the depoiled.

I went to my local cinema and watched Force Awakens and Last Jedi back to back.  So good!  

After watching both movies, I came to love Poe even more!  His taking out of multiple TIES/turrets is a great use of ridiculous number of successes and advantages in a roll :)

Just got back from it. So spoilers inbound.

I enjoyed some of the character stuff, especially Poe's arc and Rose in general was a nice new perspective, but I felt the film didn't really come together until the last bit and even then it was patchy. But I've just been shouted down by all the people I went with, so what do I know?

It felt a little too much like it was trying to be a comedy. There were a lot of big laughs in the theatre and I felt it ended up breaking the tension too much.

Based on the rewatch of TFA beforehand, I did come to realise that Disney really likes to make the galaxy feel like a small place. It felt more cramped and like everything was happening in the sector, not halfway across the galaxy.

However, Luke does vocalise a lot of the issues I saw with the Jedi Order in the prequels.

Edited by Suma99
Forgot to mention Rose

Nice movie that, I am sure, will grow with multiple viewings.

A solid 7.5 out of 10.

I did miss that Star Wars feeling that TFA had in spades, but I think it is a much better movie than Rogue One (which I still think is an inferior movie, but a great SW experience.)

Spoilers!

Really, spoilers!

So....

1. Your Snoke theorie is useless.

2. Force Ghosts last a loooooong time.

3. The Mirror of Erised did not do for Rey what it did for Harry Potter.

4. The idea that we would be seeing a more Grey force tradition emerge was nothing more than that,; an idea. If anything the chasm between light and dark is bigger now than it ever was.

5. Most criticism I read online is that Finn and Rose's storyline is unnecessary while it actually sets up one of the most important messages of the film.

6. Even with a movie that redefines the force and takes really big chances people still talk about "disneyfication"

7. Some use of CGI is fantastic, others plain horrible (Rey and Luke up on the mountain for instance...)

8. I did not like the conversations between Kylo and Rey. It felt forced (no pun intended) but it set up the final act in a believable way.

9. The Praetorian Guards were amazing. I know a lot of people were sceptical but they looked great in motion.

10. There is so much tech and gear that will end up in my games...

11. Again, no/hardly any "return aliens"...

12. Maz Kanata's dispute with the Union will end up a novel, I am sure.

Edited by DanteRotterdam