warchild1x

Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Eventual Spoilers)

548 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, DaverWattra said:

Dead serious about the a-word. Including that in a Star Wars movie is as silly as putting it in a Lord of the Rings movie. It's just totally wrong for the atmosphere of the setting.

Kidding you must a word they used? 

11 minutes ago, SEApocalypse said:

Kidding you must a word they used? 

What if they used f--- or b----? Would that still feel like Star Wars to you? What if a character in a Star Wars movie said mother f---er or d----- bag? Every fan draws this line somewhere.

2P51 likes this

10 minutes ago, DaverWattra said:

What if they used f--- or b----? Would that still feel like Star Wars to you? What if a character in a Star Wars movie said mother f---er or d----- bag? Every fan draws this line somewhere.

I don't know as I fret over words that get used as much as I do that we don't appear to be trying to make up thematic stuff like nerf herder or laser brain or sleemo anymore.

DaverWattra likes this

3 minutes ago, GroggyGolem said:

I mean, they used d*mn and h*ll in the OT, not necessarily made-up either...

Yeah, those ones work in Star Wars.  I'm not sure I can tell you why, except that they feel a bit less crass and frat-boyish than the other four-letter words.

Overall I thought it was a fine addition to the Star Wars collection. There have been worse movies.

My biggest issue is opening the floodgates with hyperspeed as a weapon. That seems remarkably out of place in the setting. Why do you need a death star when you could just hyper-jump a ship into a planet. F=MA, and when your A is at the maximum, it doesn't really matter how small your M is, you're gonna get a big F.

Plus that on-screen explosion, between a collision of ships that big seems like it should of taken out the fleet, resistance shuttles, and nearby planet.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:35 PM, Decorus said:

Also flying with move is Canon. Leia does a really nifty move/protect combo.

Did I not see this clearly or was she not in zero-G and moving very slowly? Thus, she wasn't using the Force to actually fly, just nudge and float? It was much more surprising to me that she could sustain herself in vacuum then the simple nudge in a certain direction while in 0G.

Unrelated: Are we going to see Broom Boy developed as a major character or was this just a symbolic, hopeful ending?

Edited by Sturn

Just now, Sturn said:

Did I not see this clearly or was she not in zero-G and moving very slowly? Thus, she wasn't using the Force to actually fly, just nudge and float? It was much more surprising to me that she could sustain herself in vacuum then the simple nudge in a certain direction while in 0G.

I was more eye rolling the fact that several pieces of ship ordinance destroyed the command deck of the ship she was on and she wasn't turned into hamburger.  Space and Zero G are easy once you're a Kryptonian.

JorArns likes this

It just occurred to me that the Hyperspace tracking array? That thing just completely changed the face of the war. No more guerrilla hit and fade battles. No more popping off into hyperspace and safety. Unless they can figure a way to defeat that, the Rebellion is in serious trouble.

JorArns likes this

42 minutes ago, Kommissar said:

Overall I thought it was a fine addition to the Star Wars collection. There have been worse movies.

My biggest issue is opening the floodgates with hyperspeed as a weapon. That seems remarkably out of place in the setting. Why do you need a death star when you could just hyper-jump a ship into a planet. F=MA, and when your A is at the maximum, it doesn't really matter how small your M is, you're gonna get a big F.

Plus that on-screen explosion, between a collision of ships that big seems like it should of taken out the fleet, resistance shuttles, and nearby planet.

In my head Canon, I've always likened that to nuclear weapons. Once that bottle is open, etc etc.

29 minutes ago, Desslok said:

It just occurred to me that the Hyperspace tracking array? That thing just completely changed the face of the war. No more guerrilla hit and fade battles. No more popping off into hyperspace and safety. Unless they can figure a way to defeat that, the Rebellion is in serious trouble.

Except it clearly requires a dedicated ship and a lot of energy, so...it's a problem, but not insurmountable.

*sigh*

I lied.  I said I had no real desire to see E8 again.  But thanks to you **** observant and insightful people, it seems I missed a few things, and I need to see it again.

...but it'll be on iTunes.  I hate theatres.  I had to tell a guy off sitting next to me because he decided to review his texts mid-movie.  Pathetic man-child couldn't be without his soother for 20 minutes...

2P51 likes this

1 hour ago, Desslok said:

When you think about it they apparently already had it, since I don't see how Finn would have known about it otherwise.

While I am on Finn,  he is clearly the most important asset to the Resistance.  Nevermind Jedi, the guy knows the floorplan to every important installation, weapon designs, locations of secret equipment, etc.  The rebels shouldn't have bothered with Death Star plans and smuggling droids, they should've just konked a random Stromtrooper on the head and they would have been all set......

A bit disappointed TBH. The first half caused me to have some eye-rolling moments. For example why didn’t the star destroyers fire a shot during the escape.

And bombers? In space? We’ve got lasers and robots but the only way to deliver these munitions is by dropping them out of ridiculously vulnerable ships?

i dunno it all seemed a bit much. I want desperate situations and witty banter. This episode mostly didn’t deliver (or when it did mostly felt a bit warmed over)

This series has gone from the ridiculous (ep 1-3) to the tedious. I don’t get it. I want to believe but it’s hard work.

Maelora likes this

48 minutes ago, robus said:

A bit disappointed TBH. The first half caused me to have some eye-rolling moments. For example why didn’t the star destroyers fire a shot during the escape.

And bombers? In space? We’ve got lasers and robots but the only way to deliver these munitions is by dropping them out of ridiculously vulnerable ships?

i dunno it all seemed a bit much. I want desperate situations and witty banter. This episode mostly didn’t deliver (or when it did mostly felt a bit warmed over)

This series has gone from the ridiculous (ep 1-3) to the tedious. I don’t get it. I want to believe but it’s hard work.

The very first thing I said when the movie was over was 'If you put a little engine on the bomb, you dont have to fly right up to the big nasty ship.'

Plus, if you think about it, unlike what the people who made the movie did, having the hyper capable fighters hyper out seperately would have been an excellent excuse to drop out of hyper in the middle of nowhere. Then you could have had a starfighter battle where the rebel pilots get hammered trying to cover the cruisers and someone has to make the decision to abandon some of the fighters with no ability to escape. Make their sacrifice a tragedy and necessary instead of stupid 

Okay, I saw this on Saturday, and I've been trying to collect my thoughts.  As a one-word summary, I'd say the movie is... meh. 

I mean, on the whole I liked it better than The Force Awakens.  But that's not saying much, and not significantly more.  I still maintain that Disney doesn't really understand Star Wars, and especially the Force.  I know what "Syst Wars" is is largely subjective, but the depiction of the Force in the first six movies is remarkably consistent.  After Return, we don't see any new major Force abilities, even from the Chosen Snowflake.  But this movie gave us at least three, which would have been exceptionally useful in many situations in previous films. 

And plot-wise...I dunno.  Most everything's been hashed out already by you fine people.  I wanted to like it, I did.  But I just couldn't. 

Maelora likes this

6 hours ago, DaverWattra said:

Depends, is it Mace Windu saying it? Because he can get away with it.

2 hours ago, Absol197 said:

Okay, I saw this on Saturday, and I've been trying to collect my thoughts.  As a one-word summary, I'd say the movie is... meh. 

I mean, on the whole I liked it better than The Force Awakens.  But that's not saying much, and not significantly more.  I still maintain that Disney doesn't really understand Star Wars, and especially the Force.  I know what "Syst Wars" is is largely subjective, but the depiction of the Force in the first six movies is remarkably consistent.  After Return, we don't see any new major Force abilities, even from the Chosen Snowflake.  But this movie gave us at least three, which would have been exceptionally useful in many situations in previous films. 

And plot-wise...I dunno.  Most everything's been hashed out already by you fine people.  I wanted to like it, I did.  But I just couldn't. 

Oh Phee, you read my mind (and stole my thoughts! :) )

But yeah, I agree.  I didn't hate it but... Disney and I just have different ideas about things.

I think at this point 'The Force' is just plot-magic that does whatever the writers want it to do.  (I love Carrie, but Mary Poppins Leia? Srsly??)

Same for the science and 'hyperspace' really.  The mechanics of the universe work whatever way the plot needs right now.   

I get 'Rule of Cool, sure, but you need some consistency too :(

Edited by Maelora