Sign in to follow this  
shotbyscott

boshek artical by Paul H

Interesting he makes little mention of forcing people onto obstacles and into further bumps.  Or even off the table.

As your opponent gets to choose the new maneuver, these things aren't especially likely. Not saying they can't happen (especially the obstacle/bump), but that's not why you're bringing BoShek.

I like the premise a lot!  It's a crew slot, though, which has a ton of competition.

In theory, it seems to me if BoShek is used at all he'll be used by Imps. The Rebels have rather limited crew slots and good options to fill them, and Scum are the gold standard for excellent crew options. Taking BoShek on a YV-666 instead of Zuckuss, 4-LOM, Outlaw Tech, Latts, Bossk, or more seems like it'll be a hard sell.

But if Imperials want crew, the TIE Shuttle loaded costs less than most crew carriers empty.

I like how he points out that the upgrade needs to be playable in competitions, even though it doesn't need to appear in the top 16 lists. I think this is a good thing to keep in mind. Often on these forums, we hear a person say that some upgrades and options are really fun for casual games, even if they're not competitive, and the counter point to that is that if everything were usable in competitions, casuals would still have tons of fun. BoShek is the perfect example of a card that's fun but will probably not be super competitive. The whole idea of it is so unique and interesting, but I feel that if you tried to make it a top-tier card, it would break what is fun and interesting about it.

Of course, maybe I'm wrong and it will turn out to be one of the top crew picks. We'll see.

The only way i could see a ship going off the board as a result of BoShek is specific points on the dial AND specific facings/positions on the board. Which wouldnt go off that turn, it would go off the next turn because both of your forced maneuvers either prevent you from getting out next turn because youre stressed and BoShek isnt around the 2nd time you try to get out of the corner or turns that 3Turn into a 3Bank which flies off. I.e. something that in theory can happen, but probably never will as intentionally doing it might as well be impossible.

Also im glad "Touching" only occurs after an overlap, so no tugboats tractoring people into them so the bases are "touching" and triggering BoShek that way. Ironically, the ship he comes with is one of the main ships i'd never want to put him on lol.

Edited by Vineheart01

I like how he points out that the upgrade needs to be playable in competitions, even though it doesn't need to appear in the top 16 lists. I think this is a good thing to keep in mind. Often on these forums, we hear a person say that some upgrades and options are really fun for casual games, even if they're not competitive, and the counter point to that is that if everything were usable in competitions, casuals would still have tons of fun. BoShek is the perfect example of a card that's fun but will probably not be super competitive. The whole idea of it is so unique and interesting, but I feel that if you tried to make it a top-tier card, it would break what is fun and interesting about it.

Of course, maybe I'm wrong and it will turn out to be one of the top crew picks. We'll see.

Paul is gonna use it to win worlds 2017

Interesting he makes little mention of forcing people onto obstacles and into further bumps.  Or even off the table.

As your opponent gets to choose the new maneuver, these things aren't especially likely. Not saying they can't happen (especially the obstacle/bump), but that's not why you're bringing BoShek.

Not quite.

They have to pick an adjacent maneuver.  So if you know the dial, and you know the options, you could force them into bad choices.  I don't think "off the board" is terribly likely, but into an obstacle or bump should be pretty easy if you are in a congested part of the board.

It seems like a fun crew for a casual list. I could see it in a 666, or even on a Scum Boba for an interesting control option.

Maybe it is just the way I try to fly, but intentionally ramming my enemy isn't usually a strategy for me. I understand the blocker philosophy, just isn't my style for the most part.

Not all upgrades need to be top-tier competitive. Some upgrades might be targeted at a different demographics of players.

A pretty interesting anecdote on this that happened a while back in my local group: some guy was doing quite well running a VI RAC with Palp and Navigator+Inquisitor. Pretty much everybody told him to drop the Navigator for something more useful, like Rebel Captive or Ysanne. When I told that he doesn't really need the Navigator if he's good enough to predict his opponent's moves he told me 'I'm not that good. Navigator helps ME do more with this list'.

Not quite.

They have to pick an adjacent maneuver.  So if you know the dial, and you know the options, you could force them into bad choices.  I don't think "off the board" is terribly likely, but into an obstacle or bump should be pretty easy if you are in a congested part of the board.

know the dial?

Theres a difference between knowing what moves they have and how they are laid out. I probably know 2 dials that well, the rest i know what they have but im still rotating the dial trying to find the maneuver every time.

BoShek can potentially walk someone right off the board, depending on their dial and PS. A lot easier if they have Intel Agent or Cassian in play. I'm going to use a non-Ryad defender as an example.

BoShek triggers when the ship you are touching activates, so if they set a 4K, they now have the option of doing a 4 or 5 straight towards the edge. If the ships carrying BoShek activates after them (hence PS) and outright guessed accurately, or used Cassian and adjusted, or are a large base, they can land again on the target to set up next turn. Intel/Cassian will let you know if they try to pull any change ups on the dial before you decide if you want to trigger BoShek.

Best they could do to avoid being walked off the edge is set a 3 turn left, so they have the option to 2 turn right if you BoShek them. Otherwise they are flying towards the edge again.

I can also see some Ketsu Onyo shennegans, but I don't think people would want to give up Latts Razzi.

Not quite.

know the dial?

Theres a difference between knowing what moves they have and how they are laid out. I probably know 2 dials that well, the rest i know what they have but im still rotating the dial trying to find the maneuver every time.

If you know what moves the dial has, you should know what the adjacent moves are pretty well. All dials are laid out the same way: each speed is grouped together, in order (as they exist): tallon-left, segnor-left, hard-left, bank-left, straight, bank-right, hard-right, segnor-right, tallon-right, koiogran, then the next speed up to the right and the next speed down to the left. (Okay, I'm fudging a bit on the s-loops and t-rolls, since no ship has both at this time; I figure this is close enough for right now).

Not quite.

know the dial?

If you know what moves the dial has, you should know what the adjacent moves are pretty well. All dials are laid out the same way: each speed is grouped together, in order (as they exist): tallon-left, segnor-left, hard-left, bank-left, straight, bank-right, hard-right, segnor-right, tallon-right, koiogran, then the next speed up to the right and the next speed down to the left. (Okay, I'm fudging a bit on the s-loops and t-rolls, since no ship has both at this time; I figure this is close enough for right now).

Actually, this is incorrect. There was a change in how segnors (I think it was segnors) were positioned, and at least one ship has the left and right next to each other.

EDIT: Found it -- the Jumpmaster has the left and right segnor loops next to each other. Dunno if that's the same anywhere else, though.

EDIT EDIT: Looks like IG 2000 is the same as the Jumpaster -- I think the Jump is the last one with that setup, though.

Edited by ArbitraryNerd

The dials involving the flip around moves are not standard.

For instance, the Striker has its 2k and 2sloops next to each other (2k in the middle)

The TIE/FO on the other hand has its 2sloops on opposite ends of the 2speeds.

Making a Striker change its 2-flip around (any of them) may not really do anything, but making a TIE/FO change it would not only put them in an odd spot but facing the wrong way.

Not sure when they changed the layout but i know the JM5K has its 2sloops next to each other. It might just be the original few with sloops that had them apart.

My takeaway from that article:

1. BoShek can affect friendly ships too
  2. If you select a red maneuver after being Bo'd, you can still perform it as normal, but just take the extra stress for it. This becomes a way to still pull a red, even when stressed which–like everything else in the game–is situational, but amazing if you can pull it off at the right time.