k7e9

Starting out with Star Wars RPGs

82 posts in this topic

On 3/27/2017 at 0:25 AM, k7e9 said:

Just a quick update and question as to what I should get next. I haven't started playing the game, but I do like getting books and reading up on stuff first. So any suggestions as to what books are a good read would be appreciated.

So far I own (but have not read all of):

• Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook.
  • All four Beginner games (partially for the dice).
  • 2 extra dice sets.
  • The Jewel of Yavin.
  • Suns of Fortune.
  • Enter the Unknown.
  • + some different decks, mainly to see what they're about.

As you can see the focus has been EotE.

Is the EotE Game Master's Kit any good? Is there much overlap between the different GM Kits?
Are any of the EotE Sourcebooks more useful than the others?
Are the other FFG adventures for EotE any good?
Should I keep getting EotE stuff, or should I branch out to AoR and/or FaD?
Are 6 dice sets enough for 4 players + GM, or will we need to pass dice around the table a lot?

Thanks in advance! :) 

I have all the GM Kits, the AoR is my favorite and the one I use when GMing.  I've adapted content from the "Debts to Pay" adventure in the EotE GM Kit, the AoR kit has the "squad rules" which make your BBEG a lot more survivable.

k7e9 likes this

On 3/27/2017 at 11:06 PM, Ahrimon said:

I can understand that.  I have some SW minis from when WotC made them so paper stand ups are more my thing.  My DnD mini collection is huge so stand ups fit for me.  I find them easier to grab and move too.  They do fall over easier, something you don't have to worry about with tokens.

A bit more on topic book wise.  I found the FaD and FA starter sets so I ordered those.  I'm waiting for the AoR and FaD core books to come is and pick those up too.  I'll probably look into adventures after that.  Career books are bottom of my list.  Still, their availability is so spotty, finding the books for less than extortion prices is a challenge. 

knocking minis over to indicate they're dead is a plus in my book.  It helps me keep track of which ones I still need to worry about taking a turn each round.   I go with a lot of single minions or minion groups with only 2 minions (most of my players can take out a 2 minion, minion group in each attack, and having 1 yellow 2 green pool for each incoming attack is the right level of "mook" for my players, they mow down minions like no tomorrow, I can have 18 minion groups with 2 minions each in them and they'll be dead in 3 rounds easy, lets the players be Big **** Heroes)

k7e9 likes this

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎01 at 4:53 AM, EliasWindrider said:

I have all the GM Kits, the AoR is my favorite and the one I use when GMing.  I've adapted content from the "Debts to Pay" adventure in the EotE GM Kit, the AoR kit has the "squad rules" which make your BBEG a lot more survivable.

Sounds like a good GM kit. I'll have to get it as soon as any FLGS has it in stock. Quick question, is the GM screen thin cardboard or thicker (like hardcover books)?

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎01 at 5:06 AM, EliasWindrider said:

knocking minis over to indicate they're dead is a plus in my book.  It helps me keep track of which ones I still need to worry about taking a turn each round.   I go with a lot of single minions or minion groups with only 2 minions (most of my players can take out a 2 minion, minion group in each attack, and having 1 yellow 2 green pool for each incoming attack is the right level of "mook" for my players, they mow down minions like no tomorrow, I can have 18 minion groups with 2 minions each in them and they'll be dead in 3 rounds easy, lets the players be Big **** Heroes)

Agreed, I've played a lot of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3ed, and knocking over the standups to indicate dead/unconcious characters and NPCs is a good way to keep track of how the fight is going.

On 4/1/2017 at 5:06 AM, EliasWindrider said:

I've seen tokens done with a "dead" version of whatever was on the main side on the back, so when they're dead you flip them over and you have a body lying on the ground.  I do prefer my stand up minis, paper or otherwise though.

k7e9 likes this

10 hours ago, k7e9 said:

Quick question, is the GM screen thin cardboard or thicker (like hardcover books)?

I only have AoR at present, and haven't had it long, but the construction seems pretty solid. My conjecture is that the creases, where the four component screens are joined, might potentially be a point of failure.

k7e9 likes this

On 4/4/2017 at 10:08 AM, Edgehawk said:

I only have AoR at present, and haven't had it long, but the construction seems pretty solid. My conjecture is that the creases, where the four component screens are joined, might potentially be a point of failure.

They are pretty sturdy, i've had mine for a long time and use it every session, laid flat open to the critical hit tables, and I can't see ANY sign of wear

Edgehawk and k7e9 like this