Sign in to follow this  
Sunitsa

How do you deal with Asaji Fennaroo?

So, do you guys think Lattz can remove multiple stress for multiple free evades against a single ship in a round? My opponent tonight was playing Dengaroo against Parattanni and I was playing Lattz how I assumed Lattz worked(remove 1 stress for 1 evade), but my opponent was trying to say that since Lattz doesn't have a once per shot limit I could theoretically remove 2 of Dengar's stress for 2 evades from Lattz. I don't know why I never thought of this, but it would be kinda crazy if Lattz works this way. Takes my Dengaroo matchup from favorable to almost guaranteed win assuming I don't drastically misplay.

4 minutes ago, TitaniumChopstick said:

So, do you guys think Lattz can remove multiple stress for multiple free evades against a single ship in a round? My opponent tonight was playing Dengaroo against Parattanni and I was playing Lattz how I assumed Lattz worked(remove 1 stress for 1 evade), but my opponent was trying to say that since Lattz doesn't have a once per shot limit I could theoretically remove 2 of Dengar's stress for 2 evades from Lattz. I don't know why I never thought of this, but it would be kinda crazy if Lattz works this way. Takes my Dengaroo matchup from favorable to almost guaranteed win assuming I don't drastically misplay.

Once per opportunity rule applies, so Latts can only be resolved once per attack made against her ship.

3 minutes ago, TitaniumChopstick said:

Can you link a place where I can find this rule or tell me where in the rulebook it's at? That's not a rule I'm familiar with, but perhaps I overlooked it at some point.

Well, it's not actually called the "Once Per Opportunity" rule; that's a bit of shorthand used to describe the general principle.  You can find it in the Rules Reference, p.8, first dot point under CARD ABILITIES. The example used there even directly calls out this exact situation, with a card that can be used "while defending".

1 minute ago, DR4CO said:

Well, it's not actually called the "Once Per Opportunity" rule; that's a bit of shorthand used to describe the general principle.  You can find it in the Rules Reference, p.8, first dot point under CARD ABILITIES. The example used there even directly calls out this exact situation, with a card that can be used "while defending".

Thanks! I carry my rules reference book along with me whenever I play and for some reason I didnt check there to look at the ruling. Found it quite easily though once you said something. Ill make sure to show my opponent this next time we play so that we get the ruling right in the future! 

3 hours ago, DR4CO said:

I've had initial success with Carnor + Maarek + Palp. If you can get Carnor into good positions he wreaks absolute havoc, allowing Maarek to Juke some criticals through, and having both main threats above PS6 helps in handling Asajj. But I've only played the matchup twice so I should stress it is initial success. Grain of salt and all that.

That's not a bad idea.  I have tried tackling paratanni with the lists that I feel are some of the strongest out there and played and lost another 2 matches today against it. I will have to try Carnor now.  Not sure how well he fairs in the rest of the meta but its worth playing around with.  Its not like I am limiting myself to pre-wave 10 either - with most all the cards leaked I haven't found anything new that works.

17 minutes ago, Stay On The Leader said:

VI Carnor is good against Paratanni but it takes excellent flying.  I would try him with double Defenders, maybe, just replace the shuttle with him.

PTL Carnor is bad in the matchup as he gets hunted by Fenn and has to avoid Asajj's arc.

How good is VI Carnor against the rest of the meta though? 

26 minutes ago, TitaniumChopstick said:

How good is VI Carnor against the rest of the meta though? 

Pretty good if played well. It's also perfect against Defenders. Only thing you really fear are bombs. 

Karol Pietrowicz (Tatooine 2016 runner-up) came up with decent swarm list during Tricity Regio in Poland  2 weeks ago:

Carnor Jax + VI,  AT

Omega Leader + Juke,  Comm Relay

Black Squadron TIE + crack shot

He was 1st seed after the Swiss,  and finished 4th losing to..... Parattanni :)

But I heard it was close match and in my opinion it can be a good counter. 

If you're swarm player,  this is the list you can try - fits Parattanni/Defenders meta perfectly. 

1 minute ago, Oldpara said:

Pretty good if played well. It's also perfect against Defenders. Only thing you really fear are bombs. 

Karol Pietrowicz (Tatooine 2016 runner-up) came up with decent swarm list during Tricity Regio in Poland  2 weeks ago:

Carnor Jax + VI,  AT

Omega Leader + Juke,  Comm Relay

He was 1st seed after the Swiss,  and finished 4th losing to..... Parattanni :)

But I heard it was close match and in my opinion it can be a good counter. 

If you're swarm player,  this is the list you can try - fits Parattanni/Defenders meta perfectly. 

Yeah, I saw the Legion Krakow (might be spelling that wrong) youtube videos from the last few days where he has been beating x7 defenders if Im not mistaken. I believe he was paired with Duchess and Quickdraw + Academy? He does seem alright against defenders and maybe Parattanni if he is flown PERFECTLY, but any super accurate turret like Miranda would probably eat him for breakfast. Asajj could probably still just tank a round of shooting from Carnor while she prepares to shoot him range 1 with a lock on him and still getting Lattz for defense too if Im not mistaken. Id like to see some of that particular match played before I came to any definite conclusions though.

9 minutes ago, TitaniumChopstick said:

Yeah, I saw the Legion Krakow (might be spelling that wrong) youtube videos from the last few days where he has been beating x7 defenders if Im not mistaken. I believe he was paired with Duchess and Quickdraw + Academy? He does seem alright against defenders and maybe Parattanni if he is flown PERFECTLY, but any super accurate turret like Miranda would probably eat him for breakfast. Asajj could probably still just tank a round of shooting from Carnor while she prepares to shoot him range 1 with a lock on him and still getting Lattz for defense too if Im not mistaken. Id like to see some of that particular match played before I came to any definite conclusions though.

I think it was yesterday's practice stream. Player was Butan,  and list was "Triple 10" - VI Carnor, Adaptability Quickdraw, VI Duchess and Academy Pilot as a bump-bomb. 

12 minutes ago, Stay On The Leader said:

He's very risky, I would judge.  He would require very precise arc dodging flying to get into position alive.  Synergises with Juke Defenders though.

PTL Carnor is a liability against Paratanni though.

Agree with most of this. PTL Carnor is definitely annoying for Parattani, but my Asajj has murdered him with stress the few times Ive played against him with that list. VI Carnor seems to be in the same tricky spot that strikers are in right now IMO. That is, what do you do when you face things you cant dodge, like Miranda, who also happens to be good against his defender buddies? VI Carnor is definitely interesting and possibly a somewhat decent counter to Parattani in a world where no others really exist but until I see somebody beat Parattanni with him reliably Im really not convinced he will see a ton of play as he is just too weak against other matchups to be considered a good investment IMO. 

9 minutes ago, Oldpara said:

I think it was yesterday's practice stream. Player was Butan,  and list was "Triple 10" - VI Carnor, Adaptability Quickdraw, VI Duchess and Academy Pilot as a bump-bomb. 

Maybe you could play against him with Parattanni and see how well his VI Carnor does? Id love to see that match played on youtube! 

21 minutes ago, TitaniumChopstick said:

Maybe you could play against him with Parattanni and see how well his VI Carnor does? Id love to see that match played on youtube! 

Next training session is on Wednesday,  but our master youtuber Sandman can't attend,  so not sure about stream :)

Looking at single match can be misleading tho,  as I practice Parattanni 3rd month now and he flied his list only 3 times :)

1 minute ago, Oldpara said:

Next training session is on Wednesday,  but our master youtuber Sandman can't attend,  so not sure about stream :)

Looking at single match can be misleading tho,  as I practice Parattanni 3rd month now and he flied his list only 3 times :)

True, a single match can be misleading. Id definitely like to see some videos of that match from you guys though, so maybe next week if you cant get it done this week?

1 hour ago, TitaniumChopstick said:

Agree with most of this. PTL Carnor is definitely annoying for Parattani, but my Asajj has murdered him with stress the few times Ive played against him with that list. VI Carnor seems to be in the same tricky spot that strikers are in right now IMO. That is, what do you do when you face things you cant dodge, like Miranda, who also happens to be good against his defender buddies? VI Carnor is definitely interesting and possibly a somewhat decent counter to Parattani in a world where no others really exist but until I see somebody beat Parattanni with him reliably Im really not convinced he will see a ton of play as he is just too weak against other matchups to be considered a good investment IMO. 

Carnor's ability is very well positioned for this metagame.  The ship that carries it is very bad in this metagame.

5 minutes ago, Stay On The Leader said:

Carnor's ability is very well positioned for this metagame.  The ship that carries it is very bad in this metagame.

I find "very bad" little to harsh. Quote above fits better Wes Jenson or Wedge Antilles ;)

11 minutes ago, Oldpara said:

I find "very bad" little to harsh. Quote above fits better Wes Jenson or Wedge Antilles ;)

I'd say Wes is a lot more usable than Carnor right now, actually.  His ability works at all ranges, and he's less vulnerable without PTL than Carnor, who you really want to be going at PS10 so you can arc dodge Fenn.  Plus, Wes can get Biggs to hide behind.  And a stressbot to annoy people even more.

He's less versatile, but I'd argue more reliable.  Just shackled to a terrible ship.

4 minutes ago, IG88E said:

Are there some videos with players flying the paratanni list?

Ask Oldpara, he's part of a youtube channel (Legion Krakow) and has played a few matches with his list on there. Aside from that, there are just some random casual games ive seen online, but the flying of those parattanni lists werent that great. Was also the michigan regional vs RAC/Ryad, but parattanni lost so thats probably not the best one to watch.