Sign in to follow this  
Sunitsa

How do you deal with Asaji Fennaroo?

47 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Captive/Tactician is a terrible loadout for the shuttle, for my money.  You just ignore it, take negligible damage and stress, until everything else is dead, then murder it because you've been fighting 80% of their list with 100% of yours.

Think people are referring to the Upsilon Shuttle, which is throwing four to five modified dice a time, not something that I would consider negligible since that is the same about as Whisper. 

The TIE Shuttle (i.e Bomber) 100% agree with your statement, unless its Tomax Bren, with crackshot. 

4 hours ago, Viktus106 said:

So for me, it goes like this:

1. Kill Asajj first.

2. Fenn

3. Manaroo

That is... a perfect way to lose a game vs Paratanni. Assajj is by far the toughest ship in the list. She can easily end the round with double focus, evade and another equivalent of evade from stress. If the enemy uses ships with either PTL or mindlink (which results in spreading even more stress around) she can in fact have multiple extra evades. You try to go after her, you'll likely fail to kill her. She'll just absorb the damage and if you've managed to hurt her, she'll just disengage and start serving as a focus factory while Manny blocks and Fenn does the damage. Meanwhile you're gonna start losing ships fast. 

Killing Fenn should always be a priority if there is an opportunity to do so. Failing that, take out Manaroo - you might not be able to lock her, but she's the only one who only has 2 green dice, a single focus and no other defensive modifiers. Once you've taken her out, Paratanni's action economy tanks massively and suddenly everything becomes more killable. Switching fire arcs with Assajj and repositioning with Fenn comes at the expense of getting that focus so the Paratanni player needs to make some tough decisions. Losing actions to bumps starts hurting him. It becomes much harder to stack up on tokens. Evading or locking targets with Assajj becomes a luxury he often won't be able to afford. In short, Manny might seem like the least threatening target, but taking her out significantly undermines the efficiency of the other 2 ships.

Unless you're bringing a TON of firepower you have to avoid targetting Asajj first.  Fenn is the most common first target, and the advantage of chasing Fenn is that if they have to play Fenn defensively it's five fewer red dice coming at you.  If you can get to Manaroo first it's the biggest step forwards in beating the rest of the list, but she's usually the hardest to pin down because she's at the back.

But come on, the fact that there's no easy target is precisely why Paratanni is so good and it's not a coincidence that it usually has great MOV because it rarely loses a ship.  You'll get pulled all over the place trying targets of opportunity but never actually killing anything off.

37 minutes ago, Lightrock said:

That is... a perfect way to lose a game vs Paratanni. Assajj is by far the toughest ship in the list. She can easily end the round with double focus, evade and another equivalent of evade from stress. If the enemy uses ships with either PTL or mindlink (which results in spreading even more stress around) she can in fact have multiple extra evades. You try to go after her, you'll likely fail to kill her. She'll just absorb the damage and if you've managed to hurt her, she'll just disengage and start serving as a focus factory while Manny blocks and Fenn does the damage. Meanwhile you're gonna start losing ships fast. 

Killing Fenn should always be a priority if there is an opportunity to do so. Failing that, take out Manaroo - you might not be able to lock her, but she's the only one who only has 2 green dice, a single focus and no other defensive modifiers. Once you've taken her out, Paratanni's action economy tanks massively and suddenly everything becomes more killable. Switching fire arcs with Assajj and repositioning with Fenn comes at the expense of getting that focus so the Paratanni player needs to make some tough decisions. Losing actions to bumps starts hurting him. It becomes much harder to stack up on tokens. Evading or locking targets with Assajj becomes a luxury he often won't be able to afford. In short, Manny might seem like the least threatening target, but taking her out significantly undermines the efficiency of the other 2 ships.

Reason I pump shots into Asajj first is because it is the best chance I have of pumping all damage into her nice an early before the actual flying starts. Afterwards it becomes difficult to coordinate fire. 

Naturally, if Fenn presents his fragile self too early then I will shoot him but going for Manaroo seems difficult as she will hide out at the back and have two giant blockers running interface and my list cannot handle that sort of punishment for too long. 

If you could Boba any upgrade off Paratanni, what would it be for maximum impact?

On 2/15/2017 at 7:22 PM, Stay On The Leader said:

There's nothing really killer to take off Paratanni - you need to Boba their pilot abilities not their upgrades.  Taking Attani Mindlink off Manaroo maybe, as it would force Asajj/Fenn into focusing for each other.

Manaroo will still power the whole squad by taking a focus. Boba is not going to be a silver bullet here.

23 minutes ago, dolfiejay said:

Manaroo(-mindlink) takes focus. Asajj takes evade. Fenn takes target lock. Manaroo passes focus to fenn. Asajj also gets focus.

Am I missing something?

Nope, I was missing something!

So yeah, probably the only decent Boba target is Latts Razzi.

Edited by Stay On The Leader

My opinion is something like this...

1) Your best option is to club Manaroo, if at all possible. If you can ambush her and drop her into 3 hull territory, then you're on the way to a win. E.g. Offer a classic fenn-chase, and veer off to attack manaroo at the last minute, that kind of thing. It feels counterintuitive, because she's low threat and the cheapest ship on the board, but sometimes you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

2) take Fenn out, but unless you've thrown out an inspired move, then this will depend on your opponent playing badly, or you rolling hot. Neither are in your control, so it's not a great option: take it if it comes up, but don't plan on it.

3) surprise Assaj with some nastiness - I like to use VI carnor and 2 juke x7s to break the ship and force it into a very defensive mode for the rest of the game. It's really list dependant though - you've got to be specifically prepped to take on Assaj first, in my opinion. Assaj is the easiest ship to get early shots on, but **** hard to pursue and put down. Dangerous choice to go for first...

Ultimately it completely depends on how they're flying the list. It's a different kind of list in different hands.

Edited by banjobenito

One of the things I keep coming back to with Paratanni is 'what if Triple Jumps were still around?'

It's this sort of firepower that most scares Asajj Ventress and I think it would be a tough match for Paratanni.  If Asajj had to deal with Plasma/Plasma/Proton at range 3 she would be in real trouble.  You wouldn't sweep her off in one turn, but she would be hurting.

Unfortunately Triple Jumps are gone, and nothing else presents the same level of alpha strike threat.

Blair Bunke took triple torp scouts to vancouver this weekend. All the results aren't in but in swiss he both beat and lost to parattani. Don't know what knocked him out in top 8 but can very likely also have been paratanni...

I had some decent success against Parattani with an Expertise Fat Han and Jake build. Coming in at 96 points means can hand the initiative off to the opponent so can make sure do not get caught in range 1 of Fenn (I think he only had 1 shot all game) and can line him up for Jake's prockets.

If you can keep out of Asajj's mobile arc she isn't too scary but can be hard to put damage through on. Again a lot of the time could keep entirely out of arc.

And Manaroo herself is a ***** cat really if you can get through the tokens that are getting passed through to other opponents.

If you are careful with Jake and making sure not to PTL if unable to get out of Asajj's stress zone and are unpredictable with movement to reduce the risk of being blocked then you can get by ok. Most lists are a lot less scary if you're not getting shot at

1 hour ago, Stay On The Leader said:

Nope, I was missing something!

So yeah, probably the only decent Boba target is Latts Razzi.

Taking the title or thrusters off Fenn will make him a lot easier to kill depending on your list, but if you've landed a crit on Fenn it's probably going your way anyway.

Hell, if you've landed a crit on ANY of them it's probably going your way anyway.

47 minutes ago, J Viz said:

I had some decent success against Parattani with an Expertise Fat Han and Jake build. Coming in at 96 points means can hand the initiative off to the opponent so can make sure do not get caught in range 1 of Fenn (I think he only had 1 shot all game) and can line him up for Jake's prockets.

If you can keep out of Asajj's mobile arc she isn't too scary but can be hard to put damage through on. Again a lot of the time could keep entirely out of arc.

And Manaroo herself is a ***** cat really if you can get through the tokens that are getting passed through to other opponents.

If you are careful with Jake and making sure not to PTL if unable to get out of Asajj's stress zone and are unpredictable with movement to reduce the risk of being blocked then you can get by ok. Most lists are a lot less scary if you're not getting shot at

How was your opponent flying at you? I find it hard to envision the falcon arc dodging Asajj.

1 minute ago, thespaceinvader said:

Taking the title or thrusters off Fenn will make him a lot easier to kill depending on your list, but if you've landed a crit on Fenn it's probably going your way anyway.

Hell, if you've landed a crit on ANY of them it's probably going your way anyway.

Yeah, Asajj is the one you're most likely to just sneak a cheeky crit through - she's not got a lot of shields, she's asking you to shoot at her, and she prevents a lot of damage but doesn't always dodge all of it.  I've had multiple games where a single crit damage through shields has wrecked Asajj's day - making her PS0 so she didn't know when she had to move her arc, or all hard turns are red both messed her up pretty badly!

2 minutes ago, dolfiejay said:

How was your opponent flying at you? I find it hard to envision the falcon arc dodging Asajj.

She came in pretty much from the side after Han had been skirting the edge of the board and I think managed to turn it just at the right time. The EU helps a lot though and I don't think it was the finest example of flying. I think in the end he started panicking and just shooting straightforward as I was up on points which made the last few minutes a lot easier. I think in the end I took out Asajj and had half points on Manaroo. Fenn was floating around on 1 hull. He may have just got half points on Han by the end.