Kepora

Crossovers are fun! - Arwing & Wolfen Rules?

IMPORTANT! Before you comment, please make sure you read post #12! After being made aware of a post that slipped under my radar (somehow), this thread/"project" is being taken in a new direction!

------------------------------------------------------------------

In the deeper reaches of the Unknown Regions, Imperial scouts have located a new system on the border of the Outer Rim. A civilized - and prosperous - system was discovered, many of it's dozen worlds containing little to no populations, and resources ripe for the taking. Upon attempting to claim the system, however, the Empire was taken aback by the sheer speed and ferocity of the denizens - particularly their fighters. TIEs of all stripes found themselves in an uncomfortable position, the four-ship squadron of blue-and-gray clad fighters outpacing and out-maneuvering even Interceptors, with Defenders providing only minimally more resistance. After losing the star destroyer Intruder to the same four fighters, Imperial forces retreated to the nearby system to re-group for a larger assault. However, spies within warned Rebel cells of the Empire's plans, and upon attacking the system - now known to the Empire as Corneria - the Empire found the same squadron on defense, now backed by X-Wings, Y-Wings, and a rather sizeable Rebel force bolstering Corneria's own Armada. With the invasion routed, the Empire's shadow had been revealed to this new corner of the galaxy - and the Rebels now had a new ally...

Right then! This is a bit of a childhood fantasy of mine that I've finally decided to try bringing to life. With the Arwing and Wolfen available in X-Wing TMG scale on Shapeways, I figured I'd come to you guys for aid in bringing these (under-loved, IMO) ships to life on the tabletop! There's two routes I wish to follow in this endeavor: Route 1 is the most "legal", playing the models as proxies for pre-existing ships; and Route 2, which is to create a whole new stack of pilot cards, titles, and upgrades to make the Arwings the little gray-and-blue monsters they are!

Route 1: Proxy War

The most obvious (and easiest to get played) route to getting these ships on the table would be to proxy them using fighters already available to us. I can already think of a few candidates:

#1: A-Wing

This one is the first that jumps to mind. It's very small, very fast, and very agile - and can become even more so with the proper upgrades. If kept cheap enough, they could even fit 4 into a 100-point list and still be effective - a good way to keep it thematic and keep the squadron together! However, it's VERY fragile, and Arwings are shown to be able to take a few hits and keep on fighting. It's firepower is also a little on the lacking side.

PROS: Captures the Arwing's speed and maneuverability, and is already a similar size.

CONS: Low health, low firepower

#2: T-65/T-70 X-Wing

Obviously an inspiration to the Arwing (and most sci-fi fighters after Star Wars, I'd say), the X-Wing's got teeth in either form and it can take a few licks - plus it has a Torpedo slot, which - with seismic torpedos - can approximate the effect of a smart bomb. However, it's handling is a bit more joust-y - and while that fits the original game's strictly on-rails play, future games have shown the Arwing to be an incredibly nimble dogfighter. There's also the cost issue, particularly with the T-65.

PROS: Good firepower, good health, torpedo capable, good jousting

CONS: Lack of maneuverability (more so the T-65 than T-70) without upgrades, points cost

#3: E-Wing

One of my personal favorite ships, it combines a good attack value with almost every maneuver on the dial - and them being white, at that! However, that;s also a problem - it has a whopping four green maneuvers. Boo. But it also has a systems upgrade slot, high agility, and a native Barrel Roll (you know the joke). However, the generics' pilot skill is paltry, the points cost is prohibitive, and Etahn is almost good. It would pretty much just be Fox as Corran + Rebel allies. Also, it's so fracking squishy.

PROS: Captures the Arwing's speed and maneuverability, and is already a similar size. Good firepower, torpedo and system slots, great dial, obvious reasons

CONS: Low health, lack of green maneuvers, exorbitant points cost

Route 2: Assault

Now's where the can of worms gets opened. I feel that, in order to be properly represented, the Arwing would need proper rules - and, as with many proposed A-Wing title cards, I think three would be in order. An Arwing Mk. I (Starfox), Arwing Mk. II (SF64), and Arwing Mk. III (SFA). With the major differences between each ships' appearances, ages, and even how they handle in-game, this would be a great opportunity to give the ship flexibility, let the player make it what they want it to be.

The general idea is as follows:

Arwings_SF1.jpgStarwing_%28SNES%29_03.jpg

Mk. I: High straight-line speed, some lateral shifting shenanigans. Flies in fast, hits hard, and hooks around for another pass; kind of like a MiG-21, but good. Probably the cheapest points-wise.

SFZ_Arwing_Squad.png

Mk. II: Highly versatile, not as fast in straight-line speed as the Mk. I, but far more maneuverable. Able to toggle between Attack Mode (Jousting) and All-Range mode (Higher maneuverability; sorry, no youtube for that one!). Obviously more expensive points-wise.

Assault_arwing.jpgArwing-back_SFAssault.jpg

Mk. III: The most advanced of the Arwings, with it's engines integrated into it's four G-Diffusers (as opposed to the earlier marks' two). The most nimble version, the dedicated arc-dodger. Maneuvering shenanigans, likely most expensive variant.

Possible upgrades/modifications:

Variable Wings: Title, Arwing Mk. II & Mk. III only. Attack Mode: Increase the Primary Attack value by 1. All straight and bank maneuvers become Green maneuvers (alternatively, improve by one difficulty; white becomes green, red becomes white). After performing a maneuver, you may flip this card over. All-Range Mode: Increase Agility value by 1. K-Turns and Talon Rolls/S-loops (depending on the dial, of course) are white (or they can perform a free action, such as boost or barrel roll, before receiving a stress token).

Twin Lasers: Modification/Systems/etc, Arwing-only; increases the Primary Attack value by 1

Hyper lasers: Modification/Systems/etc, Arwing-only; increases the Primary Attack value by 2 (obviously more expensive)

Upgraded G-Diffusers: Modification/Systems/etc, Mk. II & Mk. III Arwing-only; When you reveal a Speed 0 (Full Stop) maneuver, you may perform a free Barrel Roll action.

NOTE: This is the very first rendition of these fan rules, and I've never tried doing this before. Please, give constructive criticism instead of mindless bashing!

Edited by Kepora

I think you might want to take a peek at this:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/219801-we-need-your-help-star-fox/?view=findpost&p=2214391

Made by yours truly :) I'm still working on the Wolfen, though.

Awesome! I'll have to give it a full read later; perhaps we could collaborate a bit? Feel free to nick any ideas I brought up in this! ((Also, I think your twin lasers card is waaay overcosted. XD like 2 or 3 points would be much more manageable, I think, especially since it can be knocked off!)

Awesome! I'll have to give it a full read later; perhaps we could collaborate a bit? Feel free to nick any ideas I brought up in this! ((Also, I think your twin lasers card is waaay overcosted. XD like 2 or 3 points would be much more manageable, I think, especially since it can be knocked off!)

My expansion is now more or less complete, though I do have a few new ideas from Wave 10 that might help refine it a bit.

As for the Twin Blaster, I'm not so sure it could get away with being cheaper when you consider the powerful platform it is on - with that upgrade suddenly you're flying a Defender, stat-wise, and could potentially go a whole game without losing it (it's far less likely than losing a Stealth Device). A straight primary weapon upgrade for the Jumpmaster is 12 points - though that is for a turreted ship that cannot lose it (outside of Boba crew), the Twin Blaster is still a straight primary weapon upgrade for not much of a downside, and so I feel it needs to be quite pricey or it becomes too obvious a choice over the Charged Laser.

Thank you, also, for your interest :)

Edited by MalusCalibur

My expansion is now more or less complete, though I do have a few new ideas from Wave 10 that might help refine it a bit.

As for the Twin Blaster, I'm not so sure it could get away with being cheaper when you consider the powerful platform it is on - with that upgrade suddenly you're flying a Defender, stat-wise, and could potentially go a whole game without losing it (it's far less likely than losing a Stealth Device). A straight primary weapon upgrade for the Jumpmaster is 12 points - though that is for a turreted ship that cannot lose it (outside of Boba crew), the Twin Blaster is still a straight primary weapon upgrade for not much of a downside, and so I feel it needs to be quite pricey or it becomes too obvious a choice over the Charged Laser.

Thank you, also, for your interest :)

Fair enough! I see your point now. Also, look up some videos or something from Starfox Assault - the version of the Arwing in that game is just nuts! Full stops, extremely sharp maneuvers - it's a full-on arc-dodging interceptor! Could make for a cool new title... ;)

Fair enough! I see your point now. Also, look up some videos or something from Starfox Assault - the version of the Arwing in that game is just nuts! Full stops, extremely sharp maneuvers - it's a full-on arc-dodging interceptor! Could make for a cool new title... ;)

I did play once through Assault, and the Arwing sections were pretty enjoyable - it's a shame there wen't more of them. A new title sounds like a good place to start - as I'm more familiar (both now and in childhood) with the older games I'll leave the Assault version to you :)

Remember, one side is trying to bring down an ethnically pure military dictatorship that hires mercenaries to handle problems it's vast military cannot handle. The other side puts it's Supreme Leader's image on the sides of buildings in their capital city.

Andross is a Rebel. Starfox is Imperial.

Remember, one side is trying to bring down an ethnically pure military dictatorship that hires mercenaries to handle problems it's vast military cannot handle. The other side puts it's Supreme Leader's image on the sides of buildings in their capital city.

Andross is a Rebel. Starfox is Imperial.

True. But Andross IS a self-declared Emperor who kind of wants to wipe out the other races in the system, so...yeah.

I did play once through Assault, and the Arwing sections were pretty enjoyable - it's a shame there wen't more of them. A new title sounds like a good place to start - as I'm more familiar (both now and in childhood) with the older games I'll leave the Assault version to you :)

Fair enough! Though I HAVE been playing the series ever since the firs ton the SNES - beaten every single one on the hardest difficulty, save Zero (I have trouble wrapping my mind around the walker controls, got stuck >_< ))

Alright, at Malus' request, I'm going to stop spamming his thread ((Seriously though, go check it out! Right now!)) and use my own to focus on expansions for his expansion. He's practically nailed the main crew, the Arwing, and has some sweet (if, in my opinion, a tad overpriced) upgrades that should help them translate well to the tabletop. Since he's covered the N64 and Retro Arwings and pilots, my thread will focus more on the extras - pilots like Miyu, Fay, Krystal - possibly Bill and Katt, crew options for individuals like Krystal, Peppy, and ROB64, and titles/upgrades such as the "Mark 3" Arwing seen in Assault. Let's kick off this new direction with my attempt at one of the only "variant" Arwings we've seen in any game, the one I'll simply refer to as the "Interceptor" variant as seen in the unreleased Star Fox 2. And to debut it, my tweaked Miyu Lynx card - and a potential dial!

H0k8x7g.jpg

KARJSZE.png

hER6CKu.png

Put it here by Malus' request from before!

MAD props for remembering Miyu exists! Thank you!

Now if only Nintendo would remember! I want my brash, tomboy-ish Lynx girl back! (I mean I'm only assuming the brash and tomboy-ish parts, but her appearance in what little official art there was suggests it heavily IMO.)

As for the ability, what do you think - too strong? Or just right for the ship she's flying?

One of my greatest hopes for Star Fox Zero was to have Miyu and Fay in there. Hell, Miyu's actually my phone background right now.

Frankly, I think the ability is just fine. It's crazy good about boosting, and the thing is, flying Miyu means you gotta boost and use PTL or you're not using her to her fullest. I would say the barrel rolling bit is a TOUCH too much though. Just keep it to boosts. Our brash tomboyish hotshot flies right into danger..! Not around it or to its side. :P

But the thing here is, demanding that she use PTL thanks to this boost means she needs a way to clear stress, and frequently. She shouldn't really be able to do it herself, so fellow pilots would be the best solution for that. With that she'd be perfectly balanced.

After all.

Star Fox Members only seem to go it alone when they've gotta do a fateful duel!

This is true! I'll have to see if anyone will let me playtest this stuff, see how it works in a game. And I tried to put a healthy amount of green on the dial without making it OP, and a little different than the proposed Arwing one. Any changes/additions you think would fit? I'm thinking of adding Segnor's Loop(s), given Arwing can somersault and adjust their bearing a bit.

Have you considered entering the Arwing for the forum Custom Card League? In about a week there;ll be  vote on "ship packs" and "ace packs" to add to an online tabletop program called vassal. Right now the Rebel new-ship competition is only two flavors of Naboo starfighter, so there's plenty of chance to get in on the action, but entries are now.

On 1/23/2017 at 11:44 AM, Rakaydos said:

Have you considered entering the Arwing for the forum Custom Card League? In about a week there;ll be  vote on "ship packs" and "ace packs" to add to an online tabletop program called vassal. Right now the Rebel new-ship competition is only two flavors of Naboo starfighter, so there's plenty of chance to get in on the action, but entries are now.

Honestly, Malus' Arwings are better, IMO - even if they are all overcosted. XP I may try submitting my Miyu card, though. Got a link?

Also, after thinking about Captain Lackwit's comments, I may change her card to affect only Boost actions - but perhaps even allowing turns on top of straights and banks, inspired by how I felt it handle in my Star Fox 2 stream. Would that be too much?

Edited by Kepora