Sign in to follow this  
Cubanboy

Question, Tournament, just for fun or Collector?

I would classify myself as just for fun. I have played in a few tournaments, which I had fun at, but I mostly just fly what I think is cool. I really get to play about once a month at this point.

I think the distinction between tournaments and just for fun can be driven by the choices of other players you area.

For example, I got into the game not expecting to play particularly competetively - and having come from WH40k which I played casually, but my local store is reasonably competetivley focused. That started to drive my own play/list building style but without detriment to my enjoyment of the game as ultimately this is driven by getting on with the people I play with and the sense of community.  

Then there's the enjoyment I get from list building to try to keep up with the meta which keeps me involved in the game even when I'm not playing.

Can't say I'm a massive collector though - I like an alt art as much as the next player - but I'd rather buy ships when I want to fly them rather than to have them sitting on the shelf.

I would venture that 9 out of 10 x wing players are CASUAL.

The most vocal people on this website are tournament players but they are very very much the minority.

I have 3 to 8 of everything, about $3500 invested and am a casual player and collector.  Going to a tournament locally every few  months does not make me a tournament player.

Painter!  And playing for fun, just as importantly.  Never been to a tournament, never played in a store.  Maybe when I have more free time.  Normally play bigger than 100 points (150 is my favourite) and looking to do more campaigns and maybe HotAC if I can get it going.  

There are lots of ways to have fun with X-Wing and all of them are The Right Way .

I'm definitely casual when it comes to X-wing. The closest I've come to a tournament is playing in league games at the local game store. Playing competitively requires time to practice and keep up with the meta game. If I only played X-wing I might be willing to invest the time, but there are lots of other games I want to play. My interest in competitive lists and strategy was mainly to avoid being crushed by tournament players who always bring tournament builds to play at league games.

Of course I haven't played regularly in over a year now but I still try to buy at least two copies of all the new ships. So I am definitely a collector as well.

I live in the middle of the sea, on an island where no X-Wing scene exists at all. Think on that island at the end of The Force Awakens, where Luke is peeing from the top of the cliff and you will get an idea.

I get to play a few times a year when I get to travel overseas.

However, because this is basically the game I have been waiting for my whole life, I am collecting at least one copy of every expansion pack. I don't know where I will live at in the far future, but a complete collection of X-Wing will be there just in case.

I would venture that 9 out of 10 x wing players are CASUAL.

The most vocal people on this website are tournament players but they are very very much the minority.

I have 3 to 8 of everything, about $3500 invested and am a casual player and collector.  Going to a tournament locally every few  months does not make me a tournament player.

It does not? Than what does? Making the claim that 9 out 10 players are casuals and than remove 75% if the tournament players from the list and add them to the casual list is kind of silly. ;-)

So if we take your numbers and adjust them based on that: 6 out of 10 players are casuals not interested in tournament play. 4 out of 10 are tournament players, and nearly everyone is a collector. :P

I played the game casually for 18 months from about Wave 3 to Wave 6. Then a really good FLGS opened up in the my town and I shifted to playing in small local tournaments. Then last year I spent the first 6 months of the year playing a ton in preparation for the Yavin System Open. 

And...I haven't played a single game since. Bit burnt out. The game has just reached critical mass for me, and having been out of the game for 6+ months I'm way behind on releases and too intimidated to get back in. 

Casual games from here on out I think

Anyone actually admit to being a competitive player yet, lol? Because I totally play this game for tournaments. 

I enjoy pushing myself mentally against other people and the challenge that presents. I have a play group that feels the same way. Although we do enjoy alternate formats in the off season, such as epic, team tournaments, and we've completed our own HotAC game too. 

Pay just for fun and am also a collector. I actually started collecting the miniatures because they looked cool, waay before i even started playing. Not fond of playing the "Win at all cost" dedicated Tournament player but i do like the challenge... even better if i actually beat one of those types..lol  Not all of them are bad, some are actually pretty cool but it seems some go a bit over board at times...Store championships are about as high as i like to go, After that it becomes less and less fun and more and more expensive.... but what ever floats peoples boats.. If they had regional games relatively close i would go. but i just cant see spending that kind of money particularly when I NEED my plastic crack fix!!!  As I collect Wings of Glory,STAW and Armada as well!! 

I'm not sure collector is the right word for me.  Plastic crack addict may be more fitting.

Only been at this since August-September-ish, and I went from being introduced to the game to playing it every week and picking up everything rebel but the cr90 and all the scum except brobots.

I still play for fun though - most of those ships have been used for some game somewhere.  One of my personal challenges is to find a casual list where you can fit any ship where it can do well rather than just write it off or only buy it "for the cards".  I'm also going to be going back and doing as many of the missions that shipped with all the things I've bought up this year.

Never played a tournament - though I am contemplating going to an event or two in the next year, and definitely will be going to FFG for Regionals next winter since that was one big missed opportunity for me.

I got in into it to play, I have kind of turned into a collector.  I'm lucky if I get to play twice a month, but I love to play when I can. As other have said, I have several ships I have never played.  I used to play a tournament here or there, and still would if I had the opportunity, but i seldom do.  I feel like the game has become quite complex, with many powerful combinations that make it more difficult for a casual player to break into the competitive scene.  In my view, these things have not added to the fun of the game, they just made it more difficult to play.  (timing chart, anyone?)  I still buy every wave, usually at least 2 of the small ships and one of the big ones, but i seem to have little interest in keeping up with the meta, though I still really like the game at it's core.  File me under, casual player once in a while, and collector.