Sign in to follow this  
Cubanboy

Question, Tournament, just for fun or Collector?

I was thinking about a question this morning and really am curious about this. Currently I dont know the meta or plan on playing in any big tournaments, (even when i play a tournament I bring an outdated terrible list and go 2-2) I just love looking at my ships and maybe once every three months get a game in with another person, I have not flown all of my ships and might get around the current ones before 2020, though I have 1 of everything at this point (minus a CR-90, yes this is very sad, I might update vassal later and get in a game once a month)

So my question is are you a tournament player, just for fun or Collector? Am I the only crazy person that cant play ever?

You're not alone :)

I am a "just for fun" player who, due to work and kids, really can't take whole days for tournaments so I just play for the fun of it.

However, till recently I was lucky to get a game in each two months and yet had a massive collection so may well have fallen into the "collector" category. I still have many ships I have never flown (I own at least two of each Imp ship but really don't enjoy them like I do Scum or Rebels) but that only bothers me as it means I'm still not playing enough games. ;)

Travel for work notwithstanding, I play most weeks now and get more games in at this point than previously so YMMV.

Happy Sunday, CubanBoy!

I get to play 1-2 times a month, all night for one game, usually as a 2-player Epic 600 pointer or 2x2-player Epic 800 pointer.

Totally for fun and flavor--I have been running Mind-Linked Scyks for years!!

I have lots of copies of all the ships, so I guess I could be called a collector, but I wouldn't buy them if I wasn't playing, so I am not collecting for collecting's sake.

Edited by Darth Meanie

I collect (I like to be able to build anything I want) and with a kiddo arriving soon I can see my playtime will be very limited.  I normally get to the local shop once or twice a week to play a few games.  I make it a point to fly everything at least once.  Last year I was highly competitive and this year I've just kicked back to fly fun stuff.  I still bring along a competitive list if someone needs practice.  And we have a monthly Aturi that started up!  I'd recommend you at least start playing Aturi.  You can play solo, just field however many of the ships you want and make your own squad.  The rules allow for up to 6 players, or ships :D

Tournament just for fun!

I came to X-Wing pretty late and decided only to buy the ships I really, really like. Can't play competetively with that. But I enjoy the Tournaments. You spend whole day playing with your ships and in our area, you always get the card for coming. Otherwise I play with my friends (and my wife) quite often. Most of them play competetive hardcore so I am used to high standard but try to fly the useless ships that I have :-).

When I first learned of X-Wing, I went in with this mindset:

"The miniatures look amazing, so even if the game turns out to be bad, at least the minis are awesome!"

So I started out as collector/casual, but over time its turned into tournaments every chance I get, and now I'm basically collecting all the different alt-art cards & stuff that can be won.

Don't regret a single moment.

Like you, I may be crazy.

I've played in one tournament, period, though I've been playing since wave 2. I play casually for fun. Gaming in general is about one night a week for me, and X-wing is not the only game I play, so even to say once a month might be more frequent than I play. My last x-wing game was closer to thanksgiving than to Christmas.

Despite that, I have a rather sizeable collection, missing only the punisher and gozanti for the Empire, the K and Z for Rebels, and really I lack most of Scum's ships.

Am I crazy? Maybe. But, I really enjoy the stuff I have when I get a chance to throw it on a table and roll some dice.

So my question is are you a tournament player, just for fun or Collector? Am I the only crazy person that cant play ever?

Note even close.  I have played precisely one single game of X-Wing.  I have spent more than $3,400 on the game.  I have created many analysis tools for myself to analyze the game.  I love participating in the forum.

Mostly, I love the miniatures.

I think if I were to ever actually play the game, I would play something like HotAC.

I'll say I'm a collector but then I believe just about everyone is going to be a collector to some extent.

After that I'd say casual as while I may buy/plan to buy copies of everything I'm not going in to get all of the upgrades and ship number it would take to run all of the current metagame builds.  I'm also casual in that I believe in playing with what I have and do NOT believe in freely allowing everyone to proxy anything they want; to me that it a tournament play style even if not happening in a tournament.

While I'd consider going I'm not a tournament player.  Too far to get to one with the other commitments I have and while the people may be fine there are just a few too many things I see here that I take issue with when it comes to tournaments.

So far for me it has been just for fun. Just been me, my brother, and sometimes some friends. We play relatively competitive lists. But me and my brother are starting to get into the competitive scene. We both signed up for the System Open. Probably will get our butts whipped...but the Vader card and deck is TOTALLY worth it.

I play once or twice a month. I bought into the game hard (1 or 2 of everything) when I turned away from 40K. Sold my Warhammer and turned it into SPACESHIPS! I mostly play at home of FLGS but have been to two tournaments, which I loved because everyone was nice and I got some plastic tokens. My days of serious competition are well and truly over, which I sort of miss but don't. Anyway, it's a super game for any of the three types you mentioned.

I play two to three times per week so figure three to nine games per week. Usually don't time the games. So casual player.

Collector because I have at least two of everything, except Epic and I have a big touch of OCD.

Competition only if I really feel the need to get beat.