Sign in to follow this  
Prophyt

Horror in the Galaxy

A member of my play group have me a pretty solid suggestion for an EotE/AoR/FaD Lovecraftian horror plot recently that I may start a new campaign around.

Have any of you come up with horror plotlines?

Did a one-shot around Halloween that included the Blackwing virus (or rather, its effects on a planet) from the Death Troopers novel.

It ultimately was perfect timing, as it allowed me to write out a character whose player was dropping out of the campaign. She was last seen being overwhelmed by a group of zombies.

Did a one-shot around Halloween that included the Blackwing virus (or rather, its effects on a planet) from the Death Troopers novel.

It ultimately was perfect timing, as it allowed me to write out a character whose player was dropping out of the campaign. She was last seen being overwhelmed by a group of zombies.

Oh yeah? Death Troopers was great. Its prequel, Red Harvest, while entertaining, was a bit more far-fetched

In the AoR section, among the modules adapted by Kyla there is The Force Explorer, which is an horror story for a Halloween session.LIberally inspired by the film Event Horizon.

It's advisable that there should be at least one  Force sensitive, but it probably can work with an all muggle party.

I have two ideas for semi-horror adventures, but neither have come to pass (yet, so austrian players reading this, beware of spoilers).

The first is about a ruined star destroyer floating somewhere in the deep core. There, a sith scientist practiced alchemy on a bunch of wookiees to turn them into sith spawn monsters, but things got out of control and the black wookiees ran amok on the ship. When the PCs arrive, they find the ship in disarray, and as they explore they hear the sith spawn creeping up on them, find dead imperials and even alive ones, who have gone insane, or commit suicide, thinking a wookiee comes for them. The tie-in would have been a wookiee PC, who wants to free his kind and is searching for his family, which he may find alive, one way or another...

The other heavily borrows from the Force and Destiny beginner game, and the Legends material about Celeste Morn, Karness Muur and the Rakghoul (which I haven't actually read, but only read about :P). Plan is, Celeste Morne, possessed by the Muur Talisman, is imprisoned in the Dawn Temple from the beginner game, and when the PCs find the holocrons to unlock the decrepit lower levels of the temple, they accidentally release Celeste and the Rakghoul plague upon the galaxy. Before that, they can find all kinds of clues and bits of history in and around the temple about Karness Muur and that the temple holds some kind of "super weapon".

Much like Klort's destroyer above, I had my PCs come across a space station that was near defunct. I turned it into a Time Machine thing where the inhabitants had turned into the Eloi and the Morlocks, and the Morlock-versions worshipped the station's droid mechanic who, over the course of 15,000 years, had gone quite insane but still kept up his primary programming, do Everything to Keep the Station's Life Support going. He had cannibalized everything to keep the life support and himself alive and powered, but nothing else.

So the whole adventure was dark tunnels with old hanging wiring, strange old dead droid altars that the denizens had propped up in worship, non-powered traps like good ol' spiked pit traps that don't show on sensors, and skittering feet sounding from nearby ductwork.

They came across human-looking carcasses, were stabbed from the shadows, and almost captured by feral humans.

The comic relief part: The droid kept itself in Extremely Low Power mode, so it's speech centers always sounded like a dying child's toy on its last legs. The sect of the Morlocks that worshipped him spoke like him to emulate him. Sooooooooo theyyyyyyyyyy alllllllllllllllllllll spooooooooooooooke liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis.

I don't like the zombie idea, but I generally don't like zombie fiction. Contrary to that, I find the Rakghoul plague of Legends canon an interesting piece: A plague that comes from a Sith-artifact and transforms it's victims into monstrous beings.

If you want lovecraftian, look into sith-sects and the abominations they created.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_wyrm

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Terentatek/Legends

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Silooth

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Sithspawn

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_alchemy

Also Sithspawn:

Sithspawn_JATM.jpg

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sithspawn

It doesn't need to be a force-sensitive campaign. In fact that should make the horror even more terrifying, since the PCs haven't even the faintest clue what is killing their NPCs one by one. (You need to do this to NPCs first before the players. Elseway the players will likely get mad)

Edited by MOELANDER

Well, the plot I have in mind would most likely drive any Force Sensitive character rapidly insane

I'm curious what the basis of the plot would be...how would you be driving them mad?

Edited by Ender07

The eternal screams of two billion sentients as they were burned to cinders.

Amplification through the Dark Side by 8 tortured kyber crystals.

The corruption of a small flotilla of star destroyers into Lovecraftian nightmares.

Edited by Prophyt

The eternal screams of two billion sentients as they were burned to cinders.

Amplification through the Dark Side by 8 tortured kyber crystals.

The corruption of a small flotilla of star destroyers into Lovecraftian nightmares.

Yeah, that might do it. :D

I didn't do anything too fancy for this past Halloween. Like some others, I don't really like the shoehorning of the zombie fad into Star Wars. I had my AoR group check on the ongoing construction of an underground outpost established on Boz Pity, populated by characters all inspired by classic horror movie archetypes - they were greeted by a werewolf-like Shistavanen, for example, and there was also a Moogan in reference to mummies, and an old human woman was the outpost's witch-like doctor.

The actual adventure, however, dealt with the outpost's expansion efforts to clear space for a dedicated comms room, which led to them digging into a bizarre tomb with an ancient Gargantelle corpse, partially mummified and bound to a massive iron chair. Inscriptions on the walls indicated that whoever desecrated the tomb would be cursed. After that, the entrance to the base caved in and people began dying one by one.

It was all eventually revealed to be sabotage on the part of the treacherous Devaronian. I think I may be too fond of whodunnits.

Edited by Herf Nerder

I would recommend to look into Ice Sation Zulu by d20. A team is sent to steal a prototype of new stimpack from an Imperial Lab/Detention Complex on Hoth, but encounter the facility taken over by Rakhoul plague. can be easily doen for any crew. a few interesting twists - team is initially thinking they will be goint a breaking and entering into an Imperial facility, then faces wampas and thinks that they could be the source of the problems and only then finds out what really they are facing. getting one or few of PCs exposed to the plague and seeking for the cure makes things super creepy. 

Also, Cold Comfort adventure from Shadow of the Broker series can be made more creepy - a mysterious bloody murder in a hanuted house sort of story.

I've actually tied these in together in my campaign and placed both on Corfai instead of Hoth and will be running them altogether next weekend. We will be on a short vacation in Finland with my group - literally surounded by snow. so a creepy adventure on an ice world would be a perfect fit :) 

The undead zombie horde thing, I feel, is a weird fit for Star Wars. And the rage zombie a la 28 Days Later is not exactly interesting beyond being a mindless and relentless enemy to fight or escape. Either comes down to just survival or finding a cure, most of the time. Basically, in the pop culture environment of today, no one is ever surprised by zombies.

If someone really wanted to go the spooky body-horror route, I think the idea of parasites that take over and later emerge from people monstrously, as in Dead Space or The Thing, is legitimately horrifying. And/or a parasite that makes a community of normal people act increasingly weird is both spooky and also somewhat Lovecraftian. It even has some precedence in space sci-fi, such as the Feros colony under the control of the Thorian in the first Mass Effect. So, a colony or station in the vein of Innsmouth or Kingsport which is home to a cult or a population possessed by mind controlling parasites, possibly by the will of a terrifying subterranean or sub-oceanic or deep space-originating, entity.

For my own group, I'm writing a scenario about a 2000 year old shipwreck inside a long period comet. It'll probably end up being more tragic mystery than spooky horror, but shipwrecks are a good setting, as well.

I'm using a horror themed adventure as part of a lead in to "Beyond the Rim". A pirate captain that the band of intrepid heroes have been sent to track down and recover alive stole some cargo from an IsoTech cruiser. Naturally this turns out to have been some attempts to recreate the cybernetic experiments gone horribly wrong. The (on paper...) goal is for them to find clues of battle and oil rather than the grisly remains since they already assume all droids have the "Bender Circuit" when it comes to meatbags and finding the pirate captain barricaded on the bridge and surprisingly happy to go back to their ship with them. Then I release the beasties and see the party try and detonate the ship and make the way to their ship to escape while avoiding a rather tragic demise at the end of the cybernetic monstrosities.

Of course, when they think their safe and away one of them has got on board "The Hummingbird" and needs to be blown out of the god **** airlock ;)

I've not gone particularly Lovecraftian yet but with an upcoming "Wizard of Oz" style arc planned tentacled monstrosities from the Sinister Sith of the South could make an appearance!

I did two one-off horror-based adventures, both done for Halloween.

One was a sequel to Death Troopers. A rebel cell got its hands on a sample of the virus and deliberately released it on the Imperial garrison, then released information about Imperial development of the bio-weapon plus footage of the resulting attacks on the citizenry.

The other was a response to a distress signal coming from the Unknown Regions. The plot was based off of Alien except that they eventually discovered that there were actually two xenomorphs on board.

I did a few things to add to the horror element on this one and they worked out well:

• Bonus XP whenever a character took an action in line with a horror trope. It's amazing how willing a player is to announce that he will crawl through the air ducts alone when you dangle XP in front of them.
  • Players can spend destiny points to trigger horror-themed events for other characters, which also resulted in bonus XP.
  • I made the xenomorphs physically powerful but not immortal. I tried to play up the cat-and-mouse games.
  • Lots of random descriptions, like hearing strange sounds, creaks, distant banging in the vents, etc., even when there was no danger nearby.