Sign in to follow this  
shotbyscott

Red Dice Cap (max amount of red dice)

Recent history there has been a serious power creep in the amount of red dice you can throw, attacks are developing that can regularly throw 6 dice (and have seen more) with modification. As I see it that power creep will get worse as the super power players develop even more devious was to "Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women". The only way I can see the breaks being pulled on this one is an FAQ errata that states some ting like "you my never throw more that 5 dice" (maybe as well when defending)....... 

But would that be a positive for the game? Opinions please

I'm not sure if I think the issue is so serious to warrant a rule change, but I do agree that higher red dice counts per attack are getting more and more common. It really does push the poor two dice primary ships out of favor.

I think the red dice creep is real.  EVen when I started playing a year or so ago, 5-die attacks were a significant outlier obtainable only really by Phantoms, little-used EPTs, and Advanced Proton Torpedoes.  And N'Dru.  Heck, even 4 dice wasn't that common outside R1.

Now they're pretty common in the core of the meta with Fenn, Ghosts, Rey, Phantoms, Sabacc, Swarm Leader, Upsilon, Norra, etc etc etc.  Loads of ways to dump attacks which even on an average green roll, can pop a 3 die ships outright, and with Fenn Rey particularly, getting them to be super-accurate also isn't an issue, so it's not just 5 dice, it's usually 5 hits/crits.

It's an issue, but it's also a necessity to deal with token tanking. So, it's difficult to say what the solution should be...

We played around with this idea in my local x-wing club the other day. We found a way to get 8 reds and 10 greens... And yes to make that happen you will have to have a whole list build around a gimmick. But the red powercreep is real.

No. Attacks throwing 6 or more dice are rare, and usually the list is built for that one trick.

what the advent of Swarm Leader it isn't hard at all to have 5+ attack dice round after round

Like I said, a list built around that one trick... and then his wing mates die in a fire because he took their evades. It only takes one good round of shooting to neuter a list built around that. At least in my experience.

No. Attacks throwing 6 or more dice are rare, and usually the list is built for that one trick.

what the advent of Swarm Leader it isn't hard at all to have 5+ attack dice round after round

Like I said, a list built around that one trick... and then his wing mates die in a fire because he took their evades. It only takes one good round of shooting to neuter a list built around that. At least in my experience.

5 is trivial, common, and usually non-trivial to kill.  Fenn in particular is common and hard to kill unless you tech up against him or outfly him significantly.  Ditto Rey.

Swarm Leader is probably jank though, I think.

6 Defense dice should be not uncommon in epic, hiding bigs behind a EM Emitter transport is for sure a solid way to keep Biggs alive, range 3 boni and/or adding another point of agi via astromech is with that amount of green dice a solid investment. 

Ghost, Nora, Jan Ors. All Range 1 attacks of the attack ships have a 6 hit potential. ^- ^ 

And it is far easier for the Ghost or TIE Phantom to have 5 Atk dice than Swarm Leader.

I see the red dice creep as FFG's answer to the green dice +mod tanks, the problem is this hurts 1-2 agility ships a lot more than the 3 dice token stacker

But then everyone likes to roll lots of dice now and then

Edit for spelling

Edited by Aresxero

How are you getting to 10 (functional) greens?  Most I can get to is 8 I think, in a couple of ways.

8 reds can be done repeatably albeit highly jankily.  9 is possible once, in two different ways, both of which feature Norra, Swarm Leader, Finn, Cool Hand and Jan Ors.

Not sure how to get 10 green, but I can manage 9 with this cheese build:

Prince Xizor (37)

StarViper (31), Virago (1), Stealth Device (3), Cloaking Device (2)

Kaa’to Leeachos (17)

Z-95 Headhunter (15), Bodyguard (2)

Trandoshan Slaver (30)

YV-666 (29), Tactical Jammer (1)

Xizor base 3 +1 Stealth Device +2 Cloaked +1 Bodyguard Kaa'to +1 if behind YV-666 or obstacle +1 at range 3 = 9

Suppose you could get 10 if Zuckuss pilot was shooting you but that's all I can see.

Edit: can even get 9 greens with slightly less-cheese/fewer points/more room to customize:

Talonbane Cobra (33)

Kihraxz Fighter (28), Cloaking Device (2), Stealth Device (3)

Contracted Scout (28)

JumpMaster 5000 (25), Bodyguard (2), Tactical Jammer (1)

Edited by darkdooku

It's really a shame that swarm leader is unique, omega ace and omega leader, both with swarm leader in a swarm would be so much fun. Anyway, Countdown, Lockdown, CrittyMcCritface, Duchess and just a bunch of acacemy pilots are all good ingredients for a swarm leader mini-swarm. So yeah 6 dice attacks can be a thing with swarm leader. Just bring either 12 point ammunition or enough ships which can arc dodge. You can decide in the combat phase which tokens to take and which to keep.