Sign in to follow this  
Hawkstrike

Dunwich Legacy Chaos Bag Difficulty

Started one of the scenarios in the Dunwich Legacy expansion on standard difficulty.

I notice that in the Campaign book difficulty guide there are no Tablet or Elder Thing tokens in the chaos bag.  Yet the difficulty legend for the scenario has an Elder Thing token effect.

Any idea what's up with the disconnect?

Basically...

certain scenario resolutions will have you add these for the remainder of the campaign.

The *real* spoilers:

if you "cheat" using the game text of the Clover Club Cardroom, you add an Elder Thing token. If the Experiment spawns and reaches the dormitory before you can kill it (or you completely ignore that storyline and rescue The Professor instead), you add a Broken Tablet.

Edited by Network57

Which makes me ask what you guys (those that already have it of course) think of the Dunwich Legacy campaign... No one talked about it and im curious (either with or without spoilers).

Ill have m box at the end of this month so still have a couple of weeks to wait.

Without spoilers, it's very good. The House Always Wins is probably my second favorite scenario now, after Carnevale. But both of the Dunwich scenarios have a weird feeling, where the paranormal monster stuff is secondary to the prosaic storyline of finding the missing professors and seem to come out of left field. You'll basically have to choose which one to follow, and there's a lot of resolution text for each. Choosing which scenario to run first has important consequences, but without the rest of the cycle, it's impossible to say which is better. You'll also have a few dead-ends based on the order you choose and which story you follow during the playthrough, so those are really fun when they catch you by surprise but can only really screw you once. Cuz then you'll already know for next time.

I've played both scenarios once.

I succeeded -- I guess? Not all mission objectives accomplished, but I got to resolutions and had not taken a single damage or horror in either scenario. Without the full campaign to judge the outcome of my actions it's hard to say what it means.

I do like that both scenarios had expanding maps -- more locations open up based on earlier choices -- and there appears to be a lot of variability, and hence replayability, in setup.

What is the token distribution for Dunwich on normal?  I'm curious how it differs from Night of the Zealot.  My local game shop didn't get the copies that they were supposed to have ordered for us.

Same as the Core but no Elder Thing nor Broken Tablet.

What about the other difficulty levels? For reference, here's what's in the bag in Night of the Zealot:

- Easy: 2x +1, 3x 0, 3x -1, 2x -2, 2x Skull, 1x Cultist, 1x Tablet, 1x Tentacle, 1 Elder Sign

- Hard: 3x 0, 2x -1, 2x -2, 2x -3, 1x -4, 1x -5, 2x Skull, 1x Cultist, 1x Tablet, 1x Tentacle, 1 Elder Sign

- Expert: 1x 0, 2x -1, 2x -2, 2x -3, 2x -4, 1x -5, 1x -6, 1x-8, 2x Skull, 1x Cultist, 1x Tablet, 1x Tentacle, 1 Elder Sign

Without spoilers, it's very good. The House Always Wins is probably my second favorite scenario now, after Carnevale. But both of the Dunwich scenarios have a weird feeling, where the paranormal monster stuff is secondary to the prosaic storyline of finding the missing professors and seem to come out of left field. You'll basically have to choose which one to follow, and there's a lot of resolution text for each. Choosing which scenario to run first has important consequences, but without the rest of the cycle, it's impossible to say which is better. You'll also have a few dead-ends based on the order you choose and which story you follow during the playthrough, so those are really fun when they catch you by surprise but can only really screw you once. Cuz then you'll already know for next time.

i agree.. someone needs to tell Matt Newman that you don't need a monster in every single scenario. it felt out of place and a bit contrived.. my only gripe. other than that, it played amazingly and was tons of fun! i just wish i had a bit more time to have a look around, maybe next time.