Sign in to follow this  
Cubanboy

Happy Friday

Happy Friday to all, again on fridays lets mix it up just a bit this year.

Way ahead of that. As a bonus with finally getting a U-Wing, I've splurged on a Striker too. What a fantastic model. This year I'll be playing more Imperials and may even branch out to Scum as well.

Which Ship from Wave 1, including Red core is the best of the wave and why?

X-Wing. Although he still is, Wedge was far more of a threat way back when. (I'm sure that was Wave 1).

Happy Friday to all, again on fridays lets mix it up just a bit this year. This weeks question is the following,

Which Ship from Wave 1, including Red core is the best of the wave and why?

Luke with R2-D2 must have been a real pain for the Empire back then.

Just theorizing here, as I didn't get to play the game upon release, and there were much better toys around when I've started (somewhere at Wave 6/7).

For my first days, when we were just playing the 1st Core Set to learn the ropes, my personal nemesis was the Dark Curse/Night Beast duo.

I found it hard to comprehend, how could the design team allow those two in the starter missions' 31 point limit. The Rebel player would have to sit through a lesson of patience, as he either shot Focus+Evade 3+ Greens Night Beast, or Focus/Evade 3+ Greens Dark Curse, against whom you couldn't modify dice, so both of your basic actions were offensively worthless, lol.

Saying basic, as there was also a possibility to go for Luke+R2-F2 (with an Action header) within the same 31 points limit. Actually not that bad, as he had one Focus result covered on Green dice already. To think of it, both sides suffered from a similar level of frustration related to not being to push the damage through, unless you were at range 1. Simply because there was not enough ships on the table to apply focused-fire. But in my biased opinion, Dark Curse went on to make the most of his ability when moving to 100/6 format, as he's generally had the defensive capabilities of Omega Leader, only expanded to work against every enemy on the table, and without any requirements..

Meta-wise, I'd say that Howlrunner was the biggest change. Earlier, there was no benefit to flying TIEs together, other than getting the front ones to block, while the ones at the back shoot Focused shots against tokenless defenders. You could just as well pull the same trick while swarming the enemy from different directions. Now, with the introduction of Howlrunner, this has changed drastically. By providing the offensive re-roll to neighboring ships, she's introduced a sharp increase in combat effectiveness of TIEs, provided they were flown in tight formation. According to the brilliant X-Wing Probability Calculator, Howlrunner increases the amount of successful Red results of nearby TIEs by ~22% when Focused, and by a whooping 37.5% without a Focus token.

To sum it up:

- My impression of the biggest Meta-warper within Wave 1: Howlrunner.

- My personal favorite from Wave 1: Dark Curse.

EDIT:

Whooops! Just realised the question was about the ship, not pilots. :)

Still, with 2 of my top picks being the same good old TIE Fighter, it wins hands down. It's both iconic, and perfectly executed in-game. Down to Stormtrooper-esque shooting abilities (2 Reds, no TL), fast moves (1-Hard but no straight/bank, 5-Straight, short or long Koiogran), Barrel Roll and susceptibility to getting one-shot. So well done, that it actually became a benchmark for other ships for another 3 years. Always fun to play them, and still one of the best blockers around, even if they became outshined as the main workhorse.

Edited by Mef82

Happy Friday, everyone!

My vote is for the X-wing.  I know people complain about it, and maybe it does suffer in the cold darkness of competitive play, but it has a good all around statline & dial and can dish out as well as it takes.  It's iconic of the franchise!

Being the question is "ship" and not pilot... I think the TIE Fighter wins this one hands down.  I can still hear the complaining about how the TIE swarm is undefeatable.

Both the Y-wing and the TIE Fighter continue to be relevant ships in the game.  Most Improved goes to the TIE Advanced and the X-wing is making a comeback!

Happy Friday!    

I went to see the Orchestra play Star Wars music instead of going to the game store.  It was fantastic to hear all the great music done right.  The family had a blast.  

Well, which is your favorite of 4 ships?  Part of me wants to say the humble Tie Fighter, but I'll go with Darth Vader.  He's just so awesome.  

Funny, I think Wave 1 has no duds whatsoever. Sure, the TIE Advanced was a little overpriced but put on the table it could quite easily hold its own outside of a time constraint. It's just in the timed competitive matches where the focus is more on red dice that it suffered.

Funny, I think Wave 1 has no duds whatsoever. Sure, the TIE Advanced was a little overpriced but put on the table it could quite easily hold its own outside of a time constraint. It's just in the timed competitive matches where the focus is more on red dice that it suffered.

Winged Gundark   :(

If you're talking about how the ships have held up from the perspective of right now... Surely it has to be the Y Wing?

Apart from Biggs, the X-Wing is largely out of the meta. You might occasionally see Wes or very occasionally Wedge, but they're not significant. Same goes for the TIE Adcanced - Vader is very occasionally present, but otherwise zilch. The TIE fighter comes close, but even veteran swarm players are moving away. But the TLT Y Wing, either in 4 TLT, 2 TLT + beefy large ship, or even the stresshog as a control element in a rebel list - is still a staple of the meta.

The Y wing in-game is a lot like the Y wing in-universe - you can shoot at it and shoot at it, but it just isn't going to go away.

Edited by MacchuWA

TLT was not avallabe in wave one, that's why I voted for the tie. The wave 1 tie are still solid ships and don't rely on upgrades or fixes from later releases.

I know Biggs is still in play, but that's really becuase of his ability more than anything else.