nickv2002

Anchored Cantina - New Map Rotation Discussion

My thought on both scenarios is that they're interact heavy so if you want to score VPs you're going to want cheap units with quick movement speed.  The Alliance Smuggler is probably the best for this while Obi is a great defense against it.

The Gaining Favor scenario is interesting because you get only a few VPs per interact until you get 3 and particularly 4 patrons with your token.  Getting 1 or 2 patrons isn't going to be particularly worth it unless you have a spare action during a figures activation (eg they already attacked and don't want to move).  It's also interesting that both player can gain favor on the same patrons, but you can prevent your opponent from interacting by preventing them from controlling a patron (because you're vying for control).

The Line of Fire scenario tasks you with brining crates from one side of the map to the other, but you can sacrifice HPs of the box for bonus defense while you're carying it at a cost of loosing VP if you turn it in. Since the crates are worth 10 points if undamaged and less as they take more damage, I think it's rare that you will score many points from completing this objective. However, it could be very useful to pick up a crate with a figure you want to have a defensive bonus as 5 defense spread over 2+ attacks is pretty meaningful assuming you weren't planning to attack anyway.

Both scenarios will likely feature lots of brawling in the center cross and two large plates (where the crates are placed) as the terminals are situated in the middle.  The right hand terminal is 10 spaces from both starting areas while the left is 5 spaces but includes a door that must be opened (with an interact not shot).  So it's likely most battles will end up as big brawls with many figures killed and figures with the Brawler type will probably be happy here. 

Both deployment zones seem pretty equal in my first read, the blue one might be slightly better if you've got long ranged units as they can shoot down the hallway into your opponents deployment zone (assuming the doors are open) while the opposite is not true. 

Both deployment zones also offer deep nooks where you can drop Jabba without worrying about any enemies getting line of sight to him, so he's likely to be a potent figure here.

Edited by nickv2002

Darn it, they're changing right before our regionals on the 28th ... and I had just picked up the Nelvannian War Zone map in November. Used it once.

They just changed the rotation right before Worlds in November ... rotating too fast.

Grrr.

Are all of the tiles in this map from the core? 

We're starting a league this weekend and some of our players are new and don't have all the tiles. 

Looks like it. All I see is the little helmet.

Personally I don't like it, but that's only an initial impression as I haven't played it yet. 
Here's some thought's though. 

In the crate mission (line of fire)... it's seems like Blue will have a significant advantage in reaching the crates and controlling that area. 
For Blue, the crates are 8,7 and 11 spaces away. For Red they are 8,11 and 12. 
Blue also has much better line of site and a much safer approach to those crates. 
Perhaps that's the intention, that blue grabs crates and tries to push through to the extraction zone while Red defends the zone, but it seems strange to have a non symmetrical mission.
The rules for the crates are weird too (Check out the card BTW, ibsh's map wording is a bit different). 
Will people just never take damage on the crate? Will people ever bother with the crates? It's a long way to carry it while it potentially loses points as it takes damage. Small figures also can't attack while carrying... which will make Dewbacks and Banthas amazing for carrying crates.
You can hold them for a defensive bonus, but then you can't attack and you won't gain any points if it takes too much damage? Maybe good for C3PO and Gideon to pick up as they rarely attack? 

The other mission (gaining favor) seems more equal. Blue has to take a more exposed route to the two right side patrons, but has a closer path to the left side patron. The middle patron is equal to both sides. 
The mission rules are a bit weird though. 
It doesn't specify what happens to the mission tokens. You both start with 4 tokens. If you control a patron you can interact to place a token. You count as having VPs depending on how many tokens you have put down. 
Now... what happens when an opponent places his token on one of yours? Does yours get removed? Does it count points for each player? So can both players eventually have all 4 tokens down and both players count as having 20pts? 
Seems strange. Obi-wan is going to be great for controlling that area lol. 
If does seem that whoever controls a patron first and holds control has the advantage.

Needs lots of play testing of course but I'm interested to hear what people's initial impressions are. 

Also Side note - why the name change from Bar to Cantina? all the cards say Bar... it's going to confuse people. 
Edited by Inquisitorsz

Also Side note - why the name change from Bar to Cantina? all the cards say Bar... it's going to confuse people.

I wondered about that too. Are bars too 'adult oriented' or is just a flavor thing that in Star Wars they don't have bars, they have Cantinas?

I wondered about that too. Are bars too 'adult oriented' or is just a flavor thing that in Star Wars they don't have bars, they have Cantinas?

Guessing Disney/Lucas Films requested the change to align with the cannon.

Don't crates count for two vp per point of health left so a max of ten not five?

That being said, the crates are all between like 11-14 spaces from the extraction zone if I remember right. Which makes it awfully hard to turn them in. I'd say 3P0 might never make a box to the extraction zone.

On the other mission, would obi wan neutralize patrons that have been interacted with while he's within the limits of his ability? And I'd imagine that both teams can have favor with the same patrons. Assuming control at some point. But back and forth taking of the patrons would be more interesting in my opinion.

The crates are worth 10 points undamaged, which is decent, but I doubt people will even bother picking them up most of the time.

Maybe you could make a list specialized in delivering them, though.

The other scenario seems like a pretty standard all-out brawl for the points in the middle.  Whoever tips the scales first will most likely jump ahead in points massively.  If you do get your 20 points though, you're encouraged to then play defensively as soon as you're ahead on kill points.

Don't crates count for two vp per point of health left so a max of ten not five?

That being said, the crates are all between like 11-14 spaces from the extraction zone if I remember right. Which makes it awfully hard to turn them in. I'd say 3P0 might never make a box to the extraction zone.

On the other mission, would obi wan neutralize patrons that have been interacted with while he's within the limits of his ability? And I'd imagine that both teams can have favor with the same patrons. Assuming control at some point. But back and forth taking of the patrons would be more interesting in my opinion.

Yes, thanks for correction. Fixed above.

Agreed it's pretty hard to turn the Crates in.

I think 'Bribed' Patrons continue to count even if Obi is around later since they have your token on them still. Both teams can bribe the same patrons.

Edited by nickv2002

I only suggest C3P0 because he can't attack... he'll never turn it in with his slow movement but it's just a pure defensive tactic for him (or Gideon). I wasn't suggesting C3PO should do the delivery.

As for Obi-wan. He would stop you control and interacting but he won't stop the points if it's already happened.

What's amazing here is that Obi-wan stops people controlling the Patrons, which means an opponent can be controlling it, then you walk up and interact even though the opponent is still adjacent (assuming it's a low cost figure of course).

There is one square where Obi-wan can stand where he blocks control to 3 of the Patrons at once.  

He can also stand in the to room with all the crates and stop any low cost figures picking them up at all. And you'll never want high cost figures to pick them up because they can't attack. Again, except for dewbacks and Banthas (and I guess a tamed rancor). 

I only suggest C3P0 because he can't attack... he'll never turn it in with his slow movement but it's just a pure defensive tactic for him (or Gideon). I wasn't suggesting C3PO should do the delivery.

As for Obi-wan. He would stop you control and interacting but he won't stop the points if it's already happened.

What's amazing here is that Obi-wan stops people controlling the Patrons, which means an opponent can be controlling it, then you walk up and interact even though the opponent is still adjacent (assuming it's a low cost figure of course).

There is one square where Obi-wan can stand where he blocks control to 3 of the Patrons at once.  

He can also stand in the to room with all the crates and stop any low cost figures picking them up at all. And you'll never want high cost figures to pick them up because they can't attack. Again, except for dewbacks and Banthas (and I guess a tamed rancor).

3P0 control! Now he's really hard to kill :) no ones gonna score that crate. I like it. Good potential :)

And Obi just sounds ridiculously annoying on this map.

This map seems like it will need a lot of testing. Right before regionals :-/

Not sorry to see Leia's map go though. I'm intrigued by this one, but it certainly will play differently. Not a lot of hanging back and sniping, methinks. Rancor and Jedi Luke should cause some wreckage here, both going down in a blaze of glory.

-ryanjamal

Darn it, they're changing right before our regionals on the 28th ... and I had just picked up the Nelvannian War Zone map in November. Used it once.

They just changed the rotation right before Worlds in November ... rotating too fast.

Grrr.

Granted it is probably old text in the document from when that happened, but people do realize that it says STARTING november 1st anchorhead will be in the rotation right? AKA the beginning of next regional season. Now that seems like a long time out to be announcing it, and they very well could have forgotten to change the date, but until they do the intention has to be interpreted as not changing this until the next season.

Are all of the tiles in this map from the core? 

We're starting a league this weekend and some of our players are new and don't have all the tiles.

Yes, but the piece numbers are wrong. Add 31B and remove the second 32B and 34B.