Sign in to follow this  
bassoon201

What expansions to buy for a stand alone casual play experience (IE - I don't want to buy all them)

Funny, I just got into Armada as well and intend to just play casually.  Here's what I settled on to start with:

Core Set

Imperial Star Destroyer

Home One

Rebel Squardrons I

Imperial Squadrons I and II

Naturally, I'll be adding more, but this seemed like it would be a fun start.

My son got the core for Xmas and it's just he and I playing. Today he got the ISD and home one expansions. I highly recommend them! They were so fun!

Looking at getting the gladiator and mc30 on the weekend.

Don't think we could ever bring ourselves to get the assault frigate. Just looks horrible. I mean what does a 700m long space faring ship need 400m wings on it for?

Come to think of it, is there a mels figure that could be substituted?

IMNSHO, you totally don't need the AFmkII for your fleet.

Right now, there's so many combo-tastic shenanigans available I don't think you need any one particular ship, except maybe flotillas ( :P )

My son got the core for Xmas and it's just he and I playing. Today he got the ISD and home one expansions. I highly recommend them! They were so fun!

Looking at getting the gladiator and mc30 on the weekend.

Don't think we could ever bring ourselves to get the assault frigate. Just looks horrible. I mean what does a 700m long space faring ship need 400m wings on it for?

Come to think of it, is there a mels figure that could be substituted?

I believe the Assault frigates could - the Mk3 is my favorite:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/3LLLBCU4D/armada-assault-frigate-mk-i-type-iii

625x465_15753674_9254811_1479468765.jpg

Check the dimensions yourself to make sure you are happy with what size it would be.

The MC40 is another option for those that liked the X-wing vs TIE fighter games:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/N36PM5YJF/armada-mon-calamari-mc40a-upside-down?optionId=60682053

625x465_15676729_9224194_1473674693.jpg

Edited by D503

The difficulty here is that the core set introduces you to the basics but isn't really a good foundation for a "current" fleet, atleast in regards to the VSD. There's also a lot of tactical flexibility bewteen the two factions. On a very basic level, Rebels excel at broadsides while Imperials find success in frontal arcs. That said, to just play a fair and balanced game...I agree with most of the recommendations. From my personal experiences, I'd actually say 2 of each wave 1 squadron pack and 2 scum and vil. This allows you to field 4 TIE interceptors for example, or two YT-1300's. I'm at 3 right now and plan on a fourth if that gives you any insight.

You could try and go the ISD and the Home One route but then you're missing out on the Gladiator (one of the longest running relevant ships) and the MC30 (which seems to be making a slow return). That's not even including the options provided by flotillas, Raiders, Assault Frigates, etc...

Without knowing you, what other games you play (to judge play style), or interest/availability of opponents, it's a tough call to make blind. After all, what's fun? The stuff you're told to do or the things you find enjoyable, you know?

I don't know if anyone suggested this to you already but you should get Vassal and play a couple games there with full lists. That might help your decisions so you don't end up with hundreds of dollars sitting ona shelf that barely get use because you wanted specific upgrade cards.

My 2c, although Im not sure of the cost.

Imperial Fighers

Rebel Fighters

Liberty expansion

ISD expansion

CC campaign box.

Then if you to expand more

Gladiator Expansion

Home 1 expansion

MC30 expansion

Raider expansion

I didn't like the AFmkII when it was released, and I haven't played a game with it since the MC80 was released.

But having said that, I recently fired up Empire at War again and after playing it for a while I realised I really don't mind the AFmkII so much. I think I'll incorporate it in one of my CC fleets.