werdnaegni

Tabletop Admiral Updates Thread

52 posts in this topic

Thought I'd just start one thread and update it as I make changes/updates.

Here's my Patreon if you'd like to chip in $1/mo or so to help with hosting/domain/beer costs.

Here's the site if you're not familiar. It's a list builder, where you can save your collection and lists to your account, and view others' recent lists.

Please feel free to make any suggestions here or report any issues.

Changelog:

1/13/17: 

• Added Hera Syndulla, BT-1, Scavenged Weaponry, Ballistics Matrix, Shared Experience, On A Mission, and what i could see of C1-10P from the new pack announcement.

1/12/17:

• Fixed a problem with command cards not showing 2 dots when necessary
  • Public lists page now only shows finished lists (lists with 15 command cards, no more than 40 points and no more than 15 (or 18, depending) command points

1/11/17:

• Command cards for a specific unit are now tinted light blue
  • A "legal" variable is now saved with lists in the background, denoting whether or not they're finished
  • Minor changes to the navbar
  • Moved "Show Packs" button from navbar to the header, so it doesn't show up on non-list-builder pages

3/21/17:

• Updated BT-1 and 0-0-0 based on new FFG article
  • Added Eerie Visage, Ballistics Matrix, and Shared Experience

5/3/17: 

• Added/completed Hera Syndulla, C1-10P, Evacuate, Advance Warning, and Targeting Network

5/4/17:

• Added a 'notes' box when creating your list. Viewable on your profile page.

Planned changes:

• Make the list view give some details about the list (probably just the deployment cards)
  • A way to edit existing lists. Right now you can only open the list and save changes as a new list, then delete the old one. Not the worst thing in the world, but a little fiddly. I'll probably do a url system of imperialassault/lists/[list#] and if you're the owner of the list, you can make changes.
  • Turn "Latest Lists" into all lists, with multiple pages, so you can check out all of the lists made instead of just the latest 30
  • Show metrics on the printer view
  • The ability to export a .json file for use with tabletop simulator. This is kind of a daunting task, so I can't promise that this will happen. If anyone knows of an easy-ish way to do this, please contact me.
  • Add a description box for list
  • Make the first or most expensive card of your list come up, instead of AT-ST when loading a list
Edited by werdnaegni

The ability to export a .json file for use with tabletop simulator. This is kind of a daunting task, so I can't promise that this will happen. If anyone knows of an easy-ish way to do this, please contact me.

Exporting to a saved Vassal list. PLEEEEEAAASE :D

Should also be easier than the tabetop sim export, since the VASSAL lists are just decks of cards and the saved files are just lists with IDs (I think!).

Cremate likes this

The ability to export a .json file for use with tabletop simulator. This is kind of a daunting task, so I can't promise that this will happen. If anyone knows of an easy-ish way to do this, please contact me.

Should also be easier than the tabetop sim export, since the VASSAL lists are just decks of cards and the saved files are just lists with IDs (I think!).

Any chance you could send me an example file? tabletopadmiral@gmail.com would be fine.

Any chance you could send me an example file? tabletopadmiral@gmail.com would be fine.

Email incoming to the above email address.  I'm the guy who works on the Vassal mod so let's connect!

Arttemis, a1bert and Cremate like this

Do you have any plans to make a mobile supported version of your site.

Definitely loving your work so far, IA has needed a good builder for a while!

Do you have any plans to make a mobile supported version of your site.

Definitely loving your work so far, IA has needed a good builder for a while!

If you mean a dedicated app on the play/app store, I don't really plan to at the moment, sorry. I did make the site mobile responsive, but I understand it's still a bit cumbersome on mobile.

I'm not saying I'll never do it, I'm just not currently planning on it. I'm trying to refine my webdev chops and get a job in that field, so I'm trying to keep everything browser-based at the moment.

Glad you like the builder otherwise!

Another idea:

When accessing a link to a list, select the first or most expensive deployment card of that list to display the image of. Having the AT-ST show up always when loading lists might confuse a good bunch of people.

But that's really just cosmetic and not that important :)

Yet again, awesome work on the list builder!

Another suggestion: to add command cards to the Trait search function that haven't got the trait as a requirement, but it linked to that trait nonetheless. Adding them will do wonders for list building, as it is now needed to do a manual typed in search to catch those command cards that fall between the categories.

Sorting for Trooper, for instance, only gives me three command cards with a Trooper criteria at the top of the card, but misses out on a number of other cards that fit naturally into a trooper build, such as Reinforcement, Call the Vanguard, Provoke, Endless Reserves, Rally the Troop, and Cavalry Charge.

There are similar cards for a number of other traits, that don't have that trait as a requisite, but that basically only work on them otherwise.

Another idea:

When accessing a link to a list, select the first or most expensive deployment card of that list to display the image of. Having the AT-ST show up always when loading lists might confuse a good bunch of people.

That's probably a good idea, and shouldn't be too hard.

Another suggestion: to add command cards to the Trait search function that haven't got the trait as a requirement, but it linked to that trait nonetheless. Adding them will do wonders for list building, as it is now needed to do a manual typed in search to catch those command cards that fall between the categories.

Sorting for Trooper, for instance, only gives me three command cards with a Trooper criteria at the top of the card, but misses out on a number of other cards that fit naturally into a trooper build, such as Reinforcement, Call the Vanguard, Provoke, Endless Reserves, Rally the Troop, and Cavalry Charge.

There are similar cards for a number of other traits, that don't have that trait as a requisite, but that basically only work on them otherwise.

Oh yeah, i forgot about this suggestion. Sorry about that. I may just go in and add "Trooper" as a trait to cards that involve trooper, and so on. Though if people are looking at the text version of the cards, they'll think it has that trait, so I don't know what the best solution is. The trait filter looks at traits and that's all, which unless I recode the whole thing, is how it's going to work.

Can you and others weigh in on whether it would present a problem if people see Trooper as a trait on cards that don't actually have that as a trait?

Cremate likes this

Another idea:

Oh yeah, i forgot about this suggestion. Sorry about that. I may just go in and add "Trooper" as a trait to cards that involve trooper, and so on. Though if people are looking at the text version of the cards, they'll think it has that trait, so I don't know what the best solution is. The trait filter looks at traits and that's all, which unless I recode the whole thing, is how it's going to work.

Can you and others weigh in on whether it would present a problem if people see Trooper as a trait on cards that don't actually have that as a trait?

To my mind most of these cards effectively have the trooper trait anyway.  A card like Reinforcements can't be used by anyone who's not a trooper, so whether or not it's printed on the card as such I'd say the trait is more or less there.

Maybe there are some edge cases that would become confusing if you were viewing them in text mode, but I'm also thinking that most people using the builder probably have the physical cards already and have a pretty good idea of what they do.  What makes the builder so great is that you can easily filter those cards to make choosing from among them much easier.

TL;DR  The convenience of being able to filter outweighs having extra traits pop up in text mode, IMO

HeliosLancer and Cremate like this

Another idea:

To my mind most of these cards effectively have the trooper trait anyway.  A card like Reinforcements can't be used by anyone who's not a trooper, so whether or not it's printed on the card as such I'd say the trait is more or less there.

Maybe there are some edge cases that would become confusing if you were viewing them in text mode, but I'm also thinking that most people using the builder probably have the physical cards already and have a pretty good idea of what they do.  What makes the builder so great is that you can easily filter those cards to make choosing from among them much easier.

TL;DR  The convenience of being able to filter outweighs having extra traits pop up in text mode, IMO

Cool. I think I agree, so I'll go ahead and do that soon.

Cremate and HeliosLancer like this

1/13/17: 

• Added Hera Syndulla, BT-1, Scavenged Weaponry, Ballistics Matrix, Shared Experience, On A Mission, and what i could see of C1-10P from the new pack announcement.
Cremate likes this

Thanks for all you do! I really like the stats you have at the bottom of lists. Super helpful and unique.

Here are some suggestions I made on Reddit, based on how awesome I thought NetrunnerDB is.

I would like to see better grouping and hiding in the designs of all these builders to make them more mobile friendly.

1) Instead of showing every single deployment card and upgrade make us first choose a faction and only show those. A user can get an alliance upgrade and then be shown more but any more is unnecessary at first. Separate upgrade cards so it's not in the mix. As more cards come out it is harder to find cards. I could see a need to group factions by trait or cost down the road too.

2) Command cards should be grouped and hidden as well. Have faction specific ones hidden unless selected. Maybe even group and hide based on traits. Once again as more cards come it is hard to find them. (Vassal does this now, but an option with all is good too)

3) Get rid of the plus signs. Instead of clicking multiple times have the immediate option to put 1, 2, 3 or 4 depending on what limit there can be. It should be assumed if we click we want to add.

4) Get rid of any thing needing to scroll outside of the normal browser scrolling.

On 2/10/2017 at 0:19 PM, vdude said:

Thanks for all you do! I really like the stats you have at the bottom of lists. Super helpful and unique.

Here are some suggestions I made on Reddit, based on how awesome I thought NetrunnerDB is.

I would like to see better grouping and hiding in the designs of all these builders to make them more mobile friendly.

1) Instead of showing every single deployment card and upgrade make us first choose a faction and only show those. A user can get an alliance upgrade and then be shown more but any more is unnecessary at first. Separate upgrade cards so it's not in the mix. As more cards come out it is harder to find cards. I could see a need to group factions by trait or cost down the road too.

2) Command cards should be grouped and hidden as well. Have faction specific ones hidden unless selected. Maybe even group and hide based on traits. Once again as more cards come it is hard to find them. (Vassal does this now, but an option with all is good too)

3) Get rid of the plus signs. Instead of clicking multiple times have the immediate option to put 1, 2, 3 or 4 depending on what limit there can be. It should be assumed if we click we want to add.

4) Get rid of any thing needing to scroll outside of the normal browser scrolling.

Hey, sorry I'm late getting to this. I'm really busy with other stuff right now until mid-April or so.

1. You're welcome to choose a faction right off the bat. Uncheck the 2 factions you're not using, in 2 clicks, and you're there. I'd prefer to give people the option to view as they wish. And yeah, a "choose your faction" startup screen would save you one click, but I prefer flexibility in this case. I may make a module that walks you through the process at one point though, knows whether you have alliance cards, etc, but that would potentially cause more sluggishness and I pride myself on not causing any reloads or refreshes, so we'll see.

2. Same response I guess. Again, you can select a trait to filter by, and any extra calculation I throw at this thing is going to make it sluggish. If it's checking to see which traits all the units you've added have, then going through the list of command cards, ditching the ones that don't have any of those traits, then populating the list, it's just going to get more sluggish. I really don't want any page reloads or refreshes, and wanted everything to be as close to instant as possible. But I may be able to clean up the code in April and speed things up to make that more reasonable. This was a learning project, so mistakes were made.

3. I think that's a good idea. I'll see about adding that. I wish I could just start the whole thing over now that I've learned a lot, but I don't have the time.

4. This is I think a matter of taste, and I think I'll keep it how it is in that regard. It feels clunky to have to scroll the browser when building, to me and others. I like having my full list in view while browsing and don't want users to have to scroll past their list in order to look at their options. That, and having to load a lightbox when you want to view a card image, are the things I don't like about ringsdb and netrunnerdb.

I appreciate the suggestions and hope to be back in the swing of things soon.

3/21/17:

• Updated BT-1 and 0-0-0 based on new FFG article
  • Added Eerie Visage, Ballistics Matrix, and Shared Experience

I'll be around more often next month. Been working on an album and about to be on the road for a little bit so I've had zero free time. Feel free to leave me suggestions/requests and I'll get my head back in this soon.

frotes likes this

The top two items on your Planned Changes list will be really nice once you get a chance to put them in. In my mind the first item (detail about the list) seems to be the same thing as the item further down the list about adding a description box. Do you have something different planned for the two of those?  In either case I would really like to have that ability to save notes about my various lists to include strategies that did or did not work, suggested substitutions for figures or command cards, as well as strengths and weaknesses.

Just re-read this thread....

Some other suggestions to consider, because I always search by Cost first (or maybe by Trait before that, but that's been suggested), and then by name.  Therefore, I wonder if it would be possible to do one or both of the following: 

• Let the default "Sort:" mechanism always be by Cost, rather than by Name.  It's annoying to have to change that item every time I build a new squad. 
  • On the right side of the screen (ie, where the chosen Deployment Cards and Command Cards are listed), list those cards also by Cost, rather than alphabetically by Name.  Same reasoning: it would be a lot more user-friendly to have everything listed according to Cost.

Thanks for all you do!  This site has become my primary IA squad-building app.

[And yeah...I'd love to see if we can Export any completed lists to Vassal, but we've already started a conversation about that.]

frotes likes this

15 hours ago, thereisnotry said:

it would be a lot more user-friendly to have everything listed according to Cost.

That may not be true for everyone. I find myself usually sorting by Cost but not always and that is only because I became accustomed to that on the ia-armies builder and also because I have all of the deployment cost memorized at this point. But I imagine for new players, sorting by Cost could be less intuitive and frustrating.

So that being said, it might be better to add a per-user preference setting for the default sorting method instead of just switching the default based on the preference of some of your users. No sweat, right? ;P

thereisnotry likes this

17 minutes ago, leacher said:

That may not be true for everyone. I find myself usually sorting by Cost but not always and that is only because I became accustomed to that on the ia-armies builder and also because I have all of the deployment cost memorized at this point. But I imagine for new players, sorting by Cost could be less intuitive and frustrating.

So that being said, it might be better to add a per-user preference setting for the default sorting method instead of just switching the default based on the preference of some of your users. No sweat, right? ;P

Re: the bolded section: Yes, I think that would be ideal, for sure; I always prefer it if people can set their own preferences.  But I'm not a web designer so I'm not sure how easy that would be to implement.

And you're right: no sweat at all, lol!  As the guy who does the Vassal mod, I know all about the challenge of trying to take great ideas from the community and users, and then incorporate those ideas into a pre-existing structure/design.  I do enjoy the challenge, though.   It's happened several times that I've heard a request and thought to myself, "that's not possible," but then a week later I'll have a brainstorm and find a way to make it happen after some research and trial-and-error.  But yeah...LOTS of sweat!  lol

4/4/17:

• Added Utinni!, Focused on the Kill, Navigation Upgrade, and Jawa Scavenger

Thanks for the feedback guys. The description box should be an easy addition.

As far as vassal goes, I must say it seems like it's going to be a huge pain. I forgot where I left off, but looking at the code for that is a bit of a headache. That said, I'm not saying "no".

5/3/17: 

• Added/completed Hera Syndulla, C1-10P, Evacuate, Advance Warning, and Targeting Network

Hey, awesome website! I use it all the time.

Feedback: Scavenged weaponry seems slightly borked. There are two in the list, and if you add one you automatically get the other aswell. You can remove the extra again without an issue, but it doesn't seem intentional.

The + button is currently underneath each card. I seem to recall these being to the side, making the list a lot shorter and easier to navigate. Any chance of this being changed back again?

caseycheesecake likes this